You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

Olorin wrote:

Jarmo wasnt a spineless servile minion till bout 2005/6, then for some reason he spun on a dime and took up the persona he has now. Thats why so many people loath him, he turned coat over night and suddenly was rubbing shoulders with *cough, "the GNR camp."

Fuck him anyway he's a tool of epic proportions, he's one of the most loathsome creatures to ever emerge in this modern era of GNR.
I'm bored shitless with it and this so called "camp." If Axl wasnt a millionaire they wouldnt give a shit about him, its a sad state of affairs that the Fernandos and Betas and fucking jarmos of the world have more clout in GNR than the band members.
Its new music or bust for me, this song and dance we have all been led on throughout the last 10 years has been completely aimless and underwhelming and pretty god damn boring. Theres only so much time someone can spend on such a fruitless endevour, everyones bored shitless with it and I'm not really suprised Eric has called time, he is a grown man with better things to do. I'm sure what started about a labour of love and fun, mutated into what mygnr became today... a sorry cesspit of mindless resentment and pointless playground bickering.
No wonder he woke up one day and thought.." Fuck This Shit."

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

It was MyGNR that turned me on to new GNR, thats where I first heard the bootlegs of the 01/01/01 show. I was living away at college and the weekends were always dead, people partied during the week and went home at weekends. I used to go up to the library on a friday night and listen to the new Guns N Roses songs online, it was amazing and the whole 01/01 show was fantastic and thats what got me sucked it... and when I finally heard Madagascar from Rio - Fuck me, I was sucked in hook line and sinker!

Its a sad day the website has shut up shop, it used to be great. What it became was an embarressment, too much garbage be spouted by idiots and made the site unreadable. I'll say this for jarmo, he runs a tight ship and has almost zero trolls.
From what I gather mygnr had multiple trolls in the end from that gnfnrs.com site who were banned and intentionally spamming the site. They will think the cows have come home but theres not a herd of wild horses would make me sign up, its as much garbage as the dregs of mygnr was.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Ali wrote:
DCK wrote:

If Axl is so much against it, why did he use it to post stuff?

Good question.  Axl hated the forum, wanted it shutdown, yet he used it to make a massive post on a variety of topics, sharing his thoughts on many things he never had before.  How do you reconcile those two pieces of information?

Ali

Couldn't it just be the simple fact that it was the most popular GNR fan site?  If Axl posts there, it's immediately reaching the highest amount of people.  Obviously, it trickles down to the other sites in a matter of minutes, but still it was the largest.  And from what I gather, the original BIG time fan site.  It's the first one I remember reading news from and posting.  I haven't been an active member there since the very early days, so this won't really effect me.  An interesting turn of events though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm still interested in why they wanted it shutdown? Axl obviously knew it was the most popular of the forums and used it himself... Seems odd. Something really must have happened we don't know about... I knew something was up with the whole MSL fiasco and bumblefoot interview/posts and the mods response to it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm still interested in why they wanted it shutdown?

There could be any reason, but I'd speculate that at times it pisses of Axl and/or the band when they read stuff about them they don't think is true.

He used to rant about the media's lies a lot, so I can only imagine what he thinks of a bunch of us internet kids speculating about his shoe size, accusing him of starting world war 1 and saying the world would be a better place if only he would change everything about his lifestyle, alter his personality, leave his adopted family and friends, and roll endlessly with guys he fell out with years ago. 16

So i'd guess some days he's cool with it and posts friendly, other days he wants to roast us all alive.

Also if you look at Jarmo - he has found favour with the band - but he edited or censored a lot of posts to do so....so I'm guessing that's the approach that for whatever reason keeps GNR happy...and if it's not happening on your site and you are the size of that forum...

The bit of this story I find odd is that eric is saying he can't support the site because there's still no usa tour, and bad album promotion. How would that help him - unless he sold actual add space to other companies - generally the band kicking ass would increase his costs as it would drive more traffic to the site.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

There is obviously much more to this than Eric feels he should tell us. The cost, time, and potential legal issues alone would have any rational person asking "why bother?"

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
faldor wrote:
Ali wrote:
DCK wrote:

If Axl is so much against it, why did he use it to post stuff?

Good question.  Axl hated the forum, wanted it shutdown, yet he used it to make a massive post on a variety of topics, sharing his thoughts on many things he never had before.  How do you reconcile those two pieces of information?

Ali

Couldn't it just be the simple fact that it was the most popular GNR fan site?  If Axl posts there, it's immediately reaching the highest amount of people.  Obviously, it trickles down to the other sites in a matter of minutes, but still it was the largest.  And from what I gather, the original BIG time fan site.  It's the first one I remember reading news from and posting.  I haven't been an active member there since the very early days, so this won't really effect me.  An interesting turn of events though.

Sorry, don't buy it, man.  If he hated the site so thoroughly, he could've just posted on HTGH and his post would've filtered through to other sites.  And honestly, why would he bother to thank Eric Romano in the CD liner notes and take the time to meet him during the Canadian tour last year?  I'm sure he knew who Eric was when he met him face to face.  If he thought Eric was the keeper of such an evil forum, would he meet with him?  It's like Eric said Axl was a dick to him in person, did he?

It just doesn't add up.

Ali

ppp

ppp wrote:

"I often browse other band’s websites and fan forums and truly envy how those other bands have embraced the internet, fan forums, and fans"

In all fairness, I think this goes both ways. I have never seen a fansite for another band or musician run the way MYGNR was run. I don't think I could log onto a Bon Jovi site right now and see a thread by a person claiming to have Jon's hacked emails. Nor do I think I'd find a Britney Spears site where every thread is hijacked into a fight between haters and fans.

He can complain that GNR isn't doing anything, but when they were touring last year it was the same crap. The board was poorly moderated and it got to the point that it was impossible to read, much less enjoy. Eric allowed this to happen and I'm not sure why he thinks Axl or anyone from GNR would ever give him money to support the forum.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
ppp wrote:

"I often browse other band’s websites and fan forums and truly envy how those other bands have embraced the internet, fan forums, and fans"

In all fairness, I think this goes both ways. I have never seen a fansite for another band or musician run the way MYGNR was run. I don't think I could log onto a Bon Jovi site right now and see a thread by a person claiming to have Jon's hacked emails. Nor do I think I'd find a Britney Spears site where every thread is hijacked into a fight between haters and fans.

He can complain that GNR isn't doing anything, but when they were touring last year it was the same crap. The board was poorly moderated and it got to the point that it was impossible to read, much less enjoy. Eric allowed this to happen and I'm not sure why he thinks Axl or anyone from GNR would ever give him money to support the forum.

This is a very valid point.  I have gone to fan forums for Iron Maiden and Queensryche and NEVER, EVER seen the kind of crap that goes on at MyGNR.  NEVER.  It could have been policed better.  Eric chose to not do that.  The mess that the forum was at times was a consequence of that choice. 

Ali

ppp

ppp wrote:

MYGNR has been poorly moderated for years, sadly. First they had Madison who was allowed to ban everyone that disagreed with any opinion she had (even non-GNR ones). Eric did nothing about this until Axl got fed up with her, despite many posters asking him to do so.

I had hoped it would get better with her gone, but Eric just brought in more people who ignored the real issues. It just got to be such an unpleasant place to read. The trolling is way out of control and not one thing has been done to curb that. If he expected Axl to give him money or support that forum in its current shape, I'm not sure what he's smoking.

Board footer