You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: QUEEN Discussion

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … um=twitter
Brian May and Roger Taylor of QUEEN performed a medley of some of their hits with "American Idol" finalist Adam Lambert at the 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards earlier tonight (Sunday, November 6) at the at Belfast's Odyssey Arena. The musicians performed "The Show Must Go On", "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" in front of 8,000 seated fans at the arena, along with many millions more tuning in on TV and online worldwide.

After the show, Lambert tweeted his excitement about the experience, saying, "What an enormous honor to sing w QUEEN! I could feel the spirit of [late QUEEN singer Freddie] Mercury alive on stage tonight! Thank u Brian and Roger and crew. LOVE"

Earlier in the night, May and Taylor were presented with the Global Icon Award by Katy Perry, who said, "When I was growing up there was no MTV in my house. “But then one day, a friend of mine played me QUEEN — it opened my eyes, unlocked my heart, blew my mind. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and I knew who I was. I am only standing here because of the brilliance, and drama of QUEEN."

May previously performed with Lambert on the finale of "American Idol" in May 2009.

Lambert has often cited QUEEN and its late frontman Freddie Mercury as a powerful influence on his own music and sound.

AtariLegend wrote:

I loved Queen, but Brian May keeping Queen name is completely why I'm glad Slash didn't get the name over Axl.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Why the fuck does Adam keep singing like that? Intentionally trying to constantly do vocal gymnastics and scream every single thing? He's a far better vocalist than that.

Eh, I have mixed feelings. I don't really acknowledge anything post-Made In Heaven as "Queen". Queen died with Freddie, but was officially kaput when John Deacon retired after the "No One But You" single.

But at times, Brian & Roger have shown flashes of that same Queen-brilliance. Roger's "Say It's Not True" is particularly moving and almost makes you think, "could Queen live on with another singer?"

I just could never get into Paul Rodgers completely. Paul is a fantastic vocalist, but lacks the stage charisma needed for a band like Queen. The new rockers seem to totally be missing that Queen swagger.

If they are going with Lambert (something I called for in the beginning), I do find the whole thing rather odd and frankly insulting. Lambert initially turned down the Queen job after the Idol show, wanting to pursue a solo career. Now that his solo career has completely and totally fizzled (although his For Your Entertainment album was quite good), now he's possibly re-examing the Queen job.

Either way, as good as it MIGHT be... it's just not the same. I'd almost wish they'd just drop the name, and call themselves "Princes of the Universe" or something like that, and play in tribute to Queen, rather than tour as Queen. But like Axl, that brand name still means something, and sells them certain dollars.

I don't mind them being a studio outfit, but I would never even consider going to see them live. Why? Would you go see a Freddie-less Queen? Didn't think so.

Either way at this point, who wants a new singer every couple of years singing We Will Rock You for the upteenth dozenth time?

It's all about the new music. So if Lambert is who they're going with, let's make with the new album.

An album full of these would rule!

[youtube]mEcUq0tmg9Y&ob=av2e[/youtube]

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I would really love to see a GaGa/Queen collab. After Brian introduced the idea, it excites me more than Lambert.

Lambert is a great vocalist, no denying it, but GaGa is SO MUCH MORE of a SHOWMAN than Lambert. GaGa would be the showman/woman that Queen has needed since Freddie.

I'd love to hear her beautiful voice on some of Queen's biggest tracks too. But me thinks GaGa is so popular right now, that her stardom would overshadow "Queen". People would immediately think Lady GaGa and would have no clue who silver-haired guitarist and old guy on drums is.

Even at the 2011 VMA's when Brian May was brought out, short of Dave Grohl, most of the audience -- "the Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez fans" had no fucking clue who "the old man was".

Let's be honest...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

http://www.noise11.com/news/queen-micha … dium=email

Queen + Michael Jackson Duet Coming

by Paul Cashmere on November 12, 2011

Queen guitarist Brian May has revealed that a duet featuring Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson will be released as a new Queen record in 2012.

May told London’s Evening Standard that the song was recorded at Michael Jackson’s house in the late 80s. “Michael used to come and see us when we were on tour in the States. He and Freddie became close friends, close enough to record a couple of tracks together at Michael’s house, tracks which have never seen the light of day,” he told the newspaper.

He also confirmed that the Jackson estate have approved the release.

As reported previously in Noise11, Queen have been going through old unreleased records of Freddie Mercury and now have enough material to release a new Queen record featuring Freddie Mercury vocals next year.

The Jackson track may be released on the new record.

Have a listen to the bootleg:

[youtube]ooKEHgeH884&feature=player_embedded#[/url]![/youtube]

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh FUCK YEAH

I'd rather have this than a new GN'R album, tbh. AWESOME.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

wow, how awesome.

imagine if they would have released this when it was recorded. while both of them were huge.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I would really love to see a GaGa/Queen collab. After Brian introduced the idea, it excites me more than Lambert.

Lambert is a great vocalist, no denying it, but GaGa is SO MUCH MORE of a SHOWMAN than Lambert. GaGa would be the showman/woman that Queen has needed since Freddie.

I'd love to hear her beautiful voice on some of Queen's biggest tracks too. But me thinks GaGa is so popular right now, that her stardom would overshadow "Queen". People would immediately think Lady GaGa and would have no clue who silver-haired guitarist and old guy on drums is.

Even at the 2011 VMA's when Brian May was brought out, short of Dave Grohl, most of the audience -- "the Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez fans" had no fucking clue who "the old man was".

Let's be honest...

Quoted for the mafuckin' truth. Yours truly is actually a huge Lady Gaga fan; and I dig Adam Lambert, too. But Queen + Gaga? Right on!

Board footer