You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses, Jack White set for Bridge School Benefit

monkeychow wrote:

I guess what interests me, is that in a world where Axl's voice is diminishing due to age or whatever factor, why does the band focus on live performance? Why focus on what has become the weak link?

Bumble and DJ together is a killer line up. Axl has the writing ability, and in the studio his voice could be maximised.

Yet they don't do that. They just play the old music even though it highlights the kinds of problems people saw tonight. Why? I guess maybe they realise that's what the bulk of the audience wants? Or maybe it's a financial necessity? I'd be curious to know.

People accuse the fans of being negative. But in my opinion it's because the brand pushes hard the parts of the experience that are questionable now (live versions of AFD) while entirely minimising all the things about modern GNR that kick ass.

Adler is putting out a rock record with a bunch of guys who while they sound alright would be played under the table by frank, bumble, and DJ.....but you'll hear his record in a month or two...and you may never hear the wicked record GNR would make...cos they're busy playing AFD. Just don't understand.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

vocal range has NOTHING to do with singing or how good you sound. Axl cant even sing low anymore as well, his lower register is awful.

Axl doesnt even need his upper register for most of the stuff he played tonight and he was still terrible.

again, i disagreed with you about patience. he was spot on. and even if he wasnt i guarantee that is something that isnt permanent or age related or result of damage. he can still sing at a pro level. just needs to drop the rockstar act. he cant do it any more. doesnt appear to want to.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

Hey Ali, looking forward to reading more from it experience - let us know how the whole day went? Glad u had a fun time, kinda always assumed u would. Looks like a fun little set.

Ty gibbo! Again!

Fwiw I fuckin love that RiR thread people really lost their shit. This ones doing well..

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

look at slash

yet everybody is praising the band at the slash show and

bitching about axl at the new guns show

I see what you mean. I think that comes down to two factors though.

1. Slash doesn't bill the show as GNR, and even though he plays GNR, there's usually a lot of attention on his other catalogue and new works.

2. Slash is the major draw for a Slash show - and he's playing up to standard.

I think the problem with GNR is that most people consider Axl the only true GNR member there...so then when Axl isn't singing well....what are you getting?

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the band saying these things, I really love bumble and respect his playing, I'm just saying at the end of the day stuff like Jungle is an axl/slash song, just like Real is a bumble song. So it becomes sort of irrelevant what anyone else does.

So...

If slash does jungle well and myles fucks it up it's ok - cos the GNR guy did well.

If Axl sings Nighttrain well and Robin stuffs up the solo it's ok to me cos the GNR guy did well.

If Ron played Real with me covering the vocals and I fucked it up - it would be ok to me cos Ron played his song well.

When you get into problems would be if Axl is the one who is bad in a GNR show, or if Slash was the one who is bad in a slash show, or in an impossible hypothetical - if Ron stuffed up Real and I nailed the vocals....because in those situations the audience are really not getting what was billed to them.

war

war wrote:
Ali wrote:

I have to say that as someone at the show, the reactions of the group of eight people I was with and all the people around me that I saw who were dancing and cheering, is night and day with the reactions of those on the Internet forums.

Ali

they were just trying to make it fun for the kids

LOL

war

war wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

look at slash

yet everybody is praising the band at the slash show and

bitching about axl at the new guns show

I see what you mean. I think that comes down to two factors though.

1. Slash doesn't bill the show as GNR, and even though he plays GNR, there's usually a lot of attention on his other catalogue and new works.

2. Slash is the major draw for a Slash show - and he's playing up to standard.

I think the problem with GNR is that most people consider Axl the only true GNR member there...so then when Axl isn't singing well....what are you getting?

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the band saying these things, I really love bumble and respect his playing, I'm just saying at the end of the day stuff like Jungle is an axl/slash song, just like Real is a bumble song. So it becomes sort of irrelevant what anyone else does.

So...

If slash does jungle well and myles fucks it up it's ok - cos the GNR guy did well.

If Axl sings Nighttrain well and Robin stuffs up the solo it's ok to me cos the GNR guy did well.

If Ron played Real with me covering the vocals and I fucked it up - it would be ok to me cos Ron played his song well.

When you get into problems would be if Axl is the one who is bad in a GNR show, or if Slash was the one who is bad in a slash show, or in an impossible hypothetical - if Ron stuffed up Real and I nailed the vocals....because in those situations the audience are really not getting what was billed to them.

ur exactly right - that's what im saying

gnr the band can do no right as long axl sucks

fergie can do no wrong as long as slash delivers

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
war wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Steven Tyler can sing higher than axl but axl can go lower.
Axls mid range sucks now, while tylers when he was 50 was still very good

i dont agree.

tylers natural range is higher
axls natural range is lower

they are different types of voices

axl used to reach the notes tyler still does and had a larger range

but tyler never could reach the lower notes

age, care, etc are all given as reasons for that but dont make a difference for....

the fact remains axl has lost that upper range

you can say tyler is better in the long run and ur half right

lower degree of difficulty and ability but tyler is better off because he can still sing his own material properly

vocal range has NOTHING to do with singing or how good you sound. Axl cant even sing low anymore as well, his lower register is awful.

Axl doesnt even need his upper register for most of the stuff he played tonight and he was still terrible.

You clearly know nothing about singing if you think vocal range has nothing to do with singing. It's something that can be developed through training.

Ali

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Ali wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
war wrote:

i dont agree.

tylers natural range is higher
axls natural range is lower

they are different types of voices

axl used to reach the notes tyler still does and had a larger range

but tyler never could reach the lower notes

age, care, etc are all given as reasons for that but dont make a difference for....

the fact remains axl has lost that upper range

you can say tyler is better in the long run and ur half right

lower degree of difficulty and ability but tyler is better off because he can still sing his own material properly

You clearly know nothing about singing if you think vocal range has nothing to do with singing. It's something that can be developed through training.

Ali

Vocal range has NOTHING to do with singing at all.
It does not matter how good your range IS or WAS, you can have someone with little vocal range sound BETTER than someone that has a better vocal range.

Just take eddie vedder and axl tonight.
Axl has a much bigger vocal range yet eddie vedder sounded better.

Axl has  a better vocal range than Mark Foster from Foster the people but Mark blows Axl out of the water when it comes to singing.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

a bunch of people on the internet hoping and wishing for failure??

Not sure if that's the case Russ, I think it just seems like that.

I think most of the negative posters would really love Axl to come out and fucking lay out their ears like he used to do in 2006, and 9 and of course back in the hey day as well.

I guess some people are negative for the hell of it...but notice how when there's a new song leak or something of that nature for a while everyone gets excited and happy.

It's because most people WANT gnr to be good...and they want new music...but we don't get new music...for a reason that's never been explained other than in a "fuck us stop asking for it" way...and so we have to make do with live versions of old songs...so then when something about the old song sounds off....it's extra upsetting....but I dont think these people want negativity...I think they're just depressed at how things turn out.

Board footer