You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: "Izzy has never completed a major world tour in his entire life."

Will wrote:

Posted this in the other thread but James asked me to post it as a new topic smile

I've seen quite a lot of fans saying this online recently. It started over at Truth, but I've seen others saying it at Mygnr too. I don't think it's a fair statement, even if it is technically accurate so thought I'd throw up some facts for other fans to chew on.

GNR weren't doing "World Tours" prior to the Illusions release, but he still toured USA, Canada, England, Germany, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Denmark, Israel, Greece and Turkey as a member of AFD/UYI-era Guns.

Izzy quit GNR on November 7th 1991 having fulfilled all of his touring duties with Guns up to the Illusions albums being released on 5th December 1991.  Reasons for quitting have been cited as late starts, being clean/sober, bands drug and alcohol abuse, band contract renegotiations etc. He quickly went back on the road with...

IZZY STRADLIN & THE JU JU HOUNDS

- World Tour started in June 1992, and ended September 1993. The band played 79 out 97 dates, and all which were cancelled seem to have had valid reasons:-

-> 6 consecutive dates in November 1992 in Australia were cancelled due to Izzy getting flu.

Jimmy Ashhurst (Ju Ju Hounds bassist) wrote:

"I think [Izzy] had caught some kind of tropical fever, and he refuses to take any kind of prescription medicine so it just got worse and worse until we were forced to cancel a bunch of shows"

-> 3 consecutive dates in December in England were cancelled. On 2 of those 3 dates Izzy played in Spain instead. Low ticket sales or just poor tour scheduling? Regardless, Izzy played.

-> 10 consecutive dates in 1993 cancelled, with the management confirming to the press that Stradlin was in hospital with a severe case of the flu.

-> One show in New Mexico had to be cancelled after an incident with the tour bus in Denver....
10888646_10153435981763265_6654125326531227203_n.jpg?oh=48758de848c0db6e70e194e4fa762c10&oe=5635FD08

The Ju Ju Hounds "World Tour" was finished, and they played USA, France, Germany, Holland, England, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Northern Ireland, and Mexico.

That's the extent of Izzys "World Tours", though he has played live since:

- With BB King, Bo Diddley, Duff McKagan, Gilby Clarke and others (1995)
- With Slashs Snakepit (1995)
- As a solo artist with Duff, Rick Richards and Taz Bentley (Japan 2000 "Ride On" Tour)
- As a special guest with Velvet Revolver in 2003 and 2004
- As a special guest with Guns in 2006 in numerous countries
- With Adlers Appetite in 2007 for the AFD 20th Reunion show at the Key Club, alongside Steven and Duff.
- As a special guest with Guns in 2012
- As a special guest with Aerosmith in 2012

I don't know if Izzy would be up for a reunion, but it seems like the forums have already written him off as a flight risk or not interested. I just think that's a bit presumptuous, since Izzy has said previously he'd be up for a reunion. Stuff like this doesn't help either:-

gtrunk.jpg
Source: gnrtruth.proboards.com/post/81606

There's also the RNRHOF, where Izzy apparently tried to meet with Axl at a restaurant, waited a few hours but Axl didn't show. Can't remember the source for that one, though I think it was Alan Niven? It was only after Axl had posted his open letter about not attending that Izzy announced he wouldn't either.

Izzy wrote:

I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today.

Let's not write him off just yet wink

AtariLegend wrote:

If Izzy said that, then that's one thing. Niven though, I wouldn't trust his word on Axl at this stage given some of the previous discussions we had.

Izzy though played with Axl shortly after the Hall of Fame. So I don't see why Izzy would be letting Axl walk over him.

Sky Dog wrote:

I laugh when people say Izzy wouldn't do a reunion....everybody has their price. Plus, Duff and Slash are now very much sober. He would only have to deal with late start times. But, really, how hard is that? You just set your internal clock off a few hours, rake in the dough for a couple of months, laugh at the stupid shit you did back in the day, and then ride on!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Izzy would do however many shows on his terms. He's more unpredictable than Axl at this point on what he feels like doing. Dude seems happy doing what he does, I don't think he'll punch a time clock for a big tour.

Sky Dog wrote:

but what about say a 2 month tour? Huge shows....big cash? I am not talking 2 years or anything close.

AtariLegend wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

but what about say a 2 month tour? Paul Huge shows....big cash? I am not talking 2 years or anything close.

What about that instead? tongue More likely than a reunion or Bucket coming back.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Might be optimistic, but with the money involved I think Izzy could do some time on the road. It wouldn't suit him, but the payoff would be great.

That or he is in fact a chronic flake. Not sure.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

but what about say a 2 month tour? Huge shows....big cash? I am not talking 2 years or anything close.

I could see some festivals and some club gigs, tbh. Like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, etc in the states. I just see a traditional tour being a disaster, no matter the money. I think Axl and Slash know that, which is why they kept the fact they talked a secret for over a year. They don't even want the headache of discussing a reunion at this point, not to mention actually embarking on one.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Wasn't one of the reasons that Izzy bowed out of Velvet Revolver because he didn't want to do a full tour - just clubs and bars type stuff?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Wasn't one of the reasons that Izzy bowed out of Velvet Revolver because he didn't want to do a full tour - just clubs and bars type stuff?

Yeh there was a story somewhere about how Izzy had suggested that he and Duff share the vocals and they just hire a tour bus and start playing. I think in Slash's book (or maybe Duffs) it's claimed that Izzy only bailed when VH1 showed up to film the process of finding a singer. Not read either in a while to be honest smile

Board footer