You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: For the tour - Rules SG would have in place

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Okay, dude, it's your thread, your "rules" for the band, you can have your party where everyone asgrees with you. Look back at the responses in this thread and say this isn't attacking Frank, (and now Richard is too loud!) and who is being passive aggressive. I'll stay out of it.

He has been too loud and Slash has been too low. But that is Mixing. That will get better too. Hell you have 7 people to mix in. Not easy. But yeah, seems like sometimes when Fortus solos they leave that volume up and forget to boost slash back to his lead level. I was at both Vegas shows and at times had to focus hard to hear slash. Fortus was cutting through perfectly.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

You boys need to get a room for some Rocket Queen action. tongue

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Furbush wrote:

....it's Frank.

He's not letting the songs fucking breathe. at ALL. Plus he's overplaying the fuck outta the shit. Thinkin' he's Neil fucking Peart. I previously could have taken or left him, but he's gotta hang back and play the songs the right way.

Axl giving Nu Guns the green light to play the songs their way was then.... Now it's fucking with everything.

Play the shit right, homie. If you think Adler can't learn how to play Coma, This I Love and The Seeker, you're high. And he's do it for half of your salary and you'd never be able to wipe the grin off of his face for the rest of his days on Earth.

A couple things. Was Frank playing the songs at a faster tempo with DJ & Ron, etc.? I don't remember it that way.

You'd think if it was a noticeable "problem" for them they'd work to fix it, no? They rehearsed for months supposedly. Was Frank playing a slower tempo then and now when the adrenaline kicks in he speeds things up? If it's messing everyone up, wouldn't someone speak up and tell him to scale it back? Do they not notice? Do they not have a problem with it? Are they working at it without getting the results?

Not that you, or anyone would know the answers to these questions, but you see what I'm getting at?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They gotta be given some slack. Our ears are used to those 09-14 abortion years with Ron and Ashba wanking over everything and Frank and Fortus go from that horse shit to the musical event of the century. Factor in nerves, mixing issues, chemistry,etc. and we're lucky they busted out such an ambitious set list. Fans could have easily got the usual AFD rehash. We live in a world where these guys are willing to play Coma, NR, Estranged, DTJ,etc. on the same night! We're lucky there aren't even more kinks in need of ironing.

Also agree with Faldor about getting visual cues from Axl. he used to do the dances/moves at certain points during the songs and they might be accustomed to that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

This is the band, and you can't will a change, you can't bitch enough to make asshole and dipshit return.

Don't talk about Izzy like that 16

misterID wrote:

This is such a small percentage of the fanbase who you are citing, that this actually matters to, and compared to the majority of the fanbase, it is totally irrelevant. People going to these shows are NOT contacting professional drummers to gauge how fast someone is playing compared to x,y,z. Only you guys care, it's only a big issue to you, and it comes down to you wanting old members back in the band.

I'm sure it probably is a small percentage of people, we all know Axl and Slash could sell stadiums together with the smurfs on the other instruments, but as a hardcore obsessive fan that doesn't mean I have to want the smurfs.

Personally my vote goes to the guys who I think sound best for the overall chemistry. I'm not automatically biased against the CD era guys: I like Fortus a lot more than Izzy, Paul, or Gilby for example, as I think Fortus is the better player (although I respect Izzy wrote a lot). Likewise I enjoy Sorum's playing more than Adler, Brain or Frank.

To be honest I wasn't always a Sorum fan - I've evolved into the view. In the UYI tour when he was good I figured it just showed that drums were irrelevant - because it was so easy to replace adler and keep me happy. But then Brain came along and I never dug his version of the YCBM intro. Then we heard about multiple re-records of the CD drums and I expected awesome drumming but ended up finding the drumming bland on the record. Then we got frank who to me was always adequate but never a drummer I could get excited about. Then I realised out of the other Slash projects the one's that had drumming I admired were Snakepit 1 and Contraband - the other sorum projects - and I soon came to realise that fuck it I just like the guy. I know most on here seem to think he's a prick or whatever but at the end of the day he's a great rock drummer.

So yeah, I'd prefer him back. But does that mean I hate every version of the band without him? Nup. I saw frank a few times live and he was pretty great. So I don't hate frank. I'm just saying I watch these shows and I notice less chemistry than I'm used to with VR or even amongst nu-GNR. I love these shows - and I like this version of the band more than new-GNR and more than VR - but at the same time - it's noticeable how they are not on the same page yet - which surprises me given the importance of these shows.

I think a part of that lack of chemistry is Frank, and yeah, I think a part of it is Slash - he's making more mistakes than usual and he doesn't seem sort of locked in with the band the way he is normally - and I say that as someone who fucking loves slash - but yeah - he fucked up so much the other day I was worried he'd fallen off the wagon.....

But it's important to note both Slash's and Frank's "Fuck Ups" are minor things. The sort of things fans notice because I've listened to these songs thousands of times and watched hundreds of hours of bootlegs. It's part of the fandom to compare and contrast.

At least as far as I'm concerned don't take my comments as bitching or negative. If I notice that slash and frank do something strange it doesn't mean I don't love watching the shows or that I hate those guys. Sure in an ideal world they'd play things with my players and my way....but hey....it doesn't mean this isn't all great...just if you're obsessive you can hear some of these differences and it's interesting to think about why and how and what's better or worse.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
supaplex wrote:

they have three shows together and you're complaining about things not being perfect 16
how about giving them some time?

Yeah but it was three fairly important gigs! Like your 20+ year reunion that the world has been waiting for, and then headlining one of the most successful festivals in the world.

Doesn't seem like the kinda shows you should just ease your way into as a band!

It doesn't change the fact that it's the first three shows, no matter how important or how much money you throw at it.
You can't buy experience, and that comes from playing gigs together.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I know I said I'd stay out of SG's thread, but this is it, I promise. 16

Everyone has their preference, and I'll admit I'm happy Frank was chosen. I have no problem with Matt or Steven, but man, the whole argument seeps into everything, and  it's not as friendly as it's purported, and I totally blame the car wash. Friggin Alabama car wash.

James

James wrote:

ID does make a valid point that in the grand scheme, the extreme hardcores no matter how "loyal" or whatever are a small blip on the screen. Thayil basically nailed it once...it's the soccer moms filling the venues and bordering on a business transaction. We pay them to play, they play the show, transaction over. It's only the forum junkies who notice things like Frank not nailing DTJ perfectly or Slash not playing a solo like he played it in Podunk, Iowa at a club five years ago. The average attendee at a show is just there to hear some hits, have fun, and aren't wearing Dave's magic headphones to pick up all the acoustics. Like I mentioned before, it would take a massive fuckup for any of these issues to be acknowledged by everyone and for the media to pick up on it.

Back when the 1st comeback happened in 2001 at Rio, rave reviews were all over the map. Not one pointed out that Brain wasn't "up to snuff" on YCBM like some fans have said for years.

Hardcore fans of any band always notice the small things. It's to be expected when we analyze everything especially after enduring the Scooby Doo mystery of Chinese Democracy. Even though the reunion appears to have been underway before fans thought it was, I highly doubt they constantly rehearsed since we knew of it happening. The shows so far have basically been live rehearsals. The set lists which fans have complained about for 15 YEARS are just as incredible as any random set list from 1991. While I agree there are kinks in need of ironing these guys are bringing their A game to the table. I'll take this A game over the B and C games we've endured the past 8 years any day of the week regardless of its tempo. That can be fixed. What we endured since 09 couldn't be fixed and only had one solution and that solution is what we are witnessing now.

Having said all that, I also don't think that genuine issues from hardcore fans should simply be ignored. They have always monitored fan sites and I assume will continue to do so. It's a great way to gauge our reaction to everything. I also hope they notice that it has mainly been 99% positive since this got underway.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Gagarin - Enduring The Scooby Doo Mystery Of Chinese Democracy Since 1999

James

James wrote:

sliver=album
Scooby snack=leak

Scooby Dooby Doo, Where are you