You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

If that was the CEO of Target or Best Buy, they'd be fired asap.

And its just the idiocy of that.  What grown men tweets things like that?  Who here's Dad or Dad/Moms friends would tweet something this idiotic?  And this morons our president.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

How many congressman have called Trump a fake president or question the legitimacy of his election, knowing full well our election systems were never compromised and Trump was fairly elected under the rules setforth in our Constitution. 

This is an environment both sides have equally created and played in for the better part of 20 years, and it's progressively gotten meaner and more extreme.

Questioning the legitimacy of the election outcome isn't anywhere near as personal an attack as mocking someone for a facejob.  Secondly, Trump haggled Obama for YEARS over his birth certificate and legitimacy.  Also, wasn't it Newt Gingrich who called Chelsea ugly?

I'm not excusing the actions of anyone. I think it's all embarrassment. This kind of insult may be accepted in Europe, but until recently it wasn't here. The Senate used to be the bastion of polite, gentlemanly behavior. But we had Booker looking for his 15 minutes calling Sessions a racist, despite years of cordial behavior as colleagues.  It's become a joke.

And let's not pretend people didn't know who Trump was when they elected him. This is who he is and who he's always been.  This isn't new behavior.

To me this is nothing more in the latest media hype of "gotcha!" journalism. No one cares when their side does it, and acts like they've never heard a profanity when the other side does.

Trump's a brash asshole. But the people elected him fully aware of this. So I'm not going to pretend his behavior or anyone else's is a shock. It's par for the course. But I don't buy into the narrative the President can't respond to blatant ad hominems from his detractors. I wouldn't do it. But I also wouldn't be on TV calling him a psychopath or commenting on the appearance or infidelities of someone unless it was directly related to the story. If Kim Kardashian came out against plastic surgery, I think it's fair to ask her to reconcile that with her own history.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Holy shit, Trump is such a pussy. I'd like to see a fight between he and Scarborough.

I just can't get behind the outrage.  Mara insults him, attacks his appearance, calls him a psychopath, states he's destroying America and everyone is fine that a so called "journalist" conducts herself in this manner.  Trump responds that she had a horrible face job and wanted to cozy up to him at a New Years party, and somehow he's the one in the wrong here. 

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want my president on twitter acting like an asshole either.  But I also don't want a media that is full of vitriol, hate and lies, then plays a victim when someone in any official capacity doesn't kiss their ass and tell them it smells of unicorns and rainbows.  People found it hysterical when Obama traded jabs at the Correspondents dinner or went on Jimmy Kimmel and read mean tweets.  It was perfectly acceptable for candidate Clinton to call half the country a basket of deplorables.  How many congressman have called Trump a fake president or question the legitimacy of his election, knowing full well our election systems were never compromised and Trump was fairly elected under the rules setforth in our Constitution. 

This is an environment both sides have equally created and played in for the better part of 20 years, and it's progressively gotten meaner and more extreme. 

So I'm not going to feign outrage when Trump fires back at a public personality who uses her platform to lob insults and attacks at him.  It's not the ideal situation I'd want, but I don't have the expectation of Trump or any elected official remaining silent while a grown adult throws insults at him.  Perfectly ok for her to suggest he has a small dick by saying he hid his hands in his fake Time cover.  But Trump crosses a line by calling out she's had plastic surgery.  I'm not buying the outrage.

Mikka, and I honestly don't remember her ever making fun of his looks. Which is funny, seeing his wife is a walking surgically enhanced real doll. It was a weak insult. He started all of this, he insults people and lies constantly. And he's shown he can't take it when its thrown back at him. Has he ever admitted a lie? Ever?

The main thing is, he's the president. Obama had to sit through his pathetic, lying, disgraceful inaugural address, and did it with class. This is a HUGE step down even W. He has never taken responsibility for anything. Ever. He just lies and blames everyone else.

I never saw W. act this way or Obama, who were both assailed by segments of the press. It matters. Show some dignity. The president basically got on twitter and said, "I know you are but what am I?" He's seriously such a huge piece of shit. Not because of this, but over all.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

How many congressman have called Trump a fake president or question the legitimacy of his election, knowing full well our election systems were never compromised and Trump was fairly elected under the rules setforth in our Constitution. 

Questioning the legitimacy of the election outcome isn't anywhere near as personal an attack as mocking someone for a facejob.  Secondly, Trump haggled Obama for YEARS over his birth certificate and legitimacy.  Also, wasn't it Newt Gingrich who called Chelsea ugly?

I'm not excusing the actions of anyone. I think it's all embarrassment. This kind of insult may be accepted in Europe, but until recently it wasn't here. The Senate used to be the bastion of polite, gentlemanly behavior. But we had Booker looking for his 15 minutes calling Sessions a racist, despite years of cordial behavior as colleagues.  It's become a joke.

And let's not pretend people didn't know who Trump was when they elected him. This is who he is and who he's always been.  This isn't new behavior.

To me this is nothing more in the latest media hype of "gotcha!" journalism. No one cares when their side does it, and acts like they've never heard a profanity when the other side does.

Trump's a brash asshole. But the people elected him fully aware of this. So I'm not going to pretend his behavior or anyone else's is a shock. It's par for the course. But I don't buy into the narrative the President can't respond to blatant ad hominems from his detractors. I wouldn't do it. But I also wouldn't be on TV calling him a psychopath or commenting on the appearance or infidelities of someone unless it was directly related to the story. If Kim Kardashian came out against plastic surgery, I think it's fair to ask her to reconcile that with her own history.

How can it be gotcha journalism when he took to twitter on his own? He outed their relationship over a year ago. He decided to do that. Our president.

Come on, dude, Gingrich was way, way, way worse and way shadier than Booker.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I don't recall what Gingrich did. But I sure as hell was never on the Newt train. Someone who led the charge against Clinton but was fucking around too has no credibility in my eyes.

When does the media go after their own?  When do they police their own behavior or outrageous comments?

We have a journalist from Playboy trying to claim Trump's attacks on the media have emboldened ISIS to attack journalist in Iraq and Syria. This was a real story on the front pages today. In what world is that believable?

Trump is an idiot. I've said that a hundred times. I didn't vote for him solely because of the birther shit. It was as anti-intellectual as they come. But this isn't new. You don't chug a bottle of whiskey and then act surprised when you get drunk. This is who Trump is. And his detractors know this. They know if they attack him, he's going to respond on twitter. It's embarrassing. But he's not alone. Congressman and Senators on both side say wacky shit. The 4th estate, the organization that used to be comprised of Cronkite's and Brokaw's is now filled with Maddow's and Hannity's that just spew bullshit. No one tries to be reasonable or objective. Or rather very few do. So I'm not surprised that our president has become the same low brow idiot that our media and legislators have been for decades. The judiciary was the last bastion, but even now we have judges that could fill in for Olberman or O'Reilly.

I'm not going to pretend this is a new development or a new low. It's incredibly embarrassing, but this is what we've become. Idealogues paying lip service to their audience.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don't recall what Gingrich did.

Sorry, it was McCain https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … johnmccain

Cross the pond and that is exactly what happened to John McCain at a fundraising dinner in Arizona a decade ago. "Do you know why Chelsea Clinton is so ugly?" he told a handful of big Republican funders. "Because Janet Reno is her father."

She was 18 at the time, but still, that was in poor taste.

Apparently Limbaugh said something as well:

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

misterID

misterID wrote:

Serious question, isn't it illegal for a President to threaten to expose personal information on a news broadcaster if they don't start covering him better and apologize? If what Joe said is true.... Isn't that illegal?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Serious question, isn't it illegal for a President to threaten to expose personal information on a news broadcaster if they don't start covering him better and apologize? If what Joe said is true.... Isn't that illegal?

It's extremely tough to tell these days  what is and isn't okay anymore....and legal cases take a great deal of time....

just another rich, privileged white man just doing whatever he wants...something I'm sure that will be vehemently defended by his supporters.

Another question: how am I supposed to support 'my president' when he offends me and everyone I care about? How does that represent me as my president?

Fuck Trump....

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'd rather have Trump than Pence. He could get healthcare repealed.

Board footer