You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No.  You're wrong.  We can't keep drugs (illegal) or undocumented people (illegal) out of this country and you think banning guns is going to fix anything?  At least I assume that's your brilliant idea that will "greatly reduce" it.  If it's something far more intelligent than that, please share...

Like I said. The usual weak men making the same old tired arguments, capitulating to gun salesmen no less. How absolutely pathetic!

It does work moron. Australia did it. Other countries that have strict gun laws show that it's effective every single day. Yes there may still be crimes that involve guns, but they are a fraction of what we have here.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

What you can’t apparently grasp is we value our constitution and rights. The 2nd amendment is a right in America. The right to own a firearm is indisputable. And unlike Australia or England, we setup our constitution so it can’t be altered at the drop of a hat.

This isn't about the second amendment. It never was.

This is about selfishness.

Two dozen children get murdered, and selfish men march in the street, take to social media, and beat their chests that nobody is taking their gun away. They don't care who gets shot, they only care about themselves.

The NRA sells a twisted view of the Second Amendment. They sell fear. They also happen to sell guns.

How laughable you and Buzz are. I could only imagine if we had guys like you around when we were building this country. We wouldn't have gotten anything done at all!

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

I agree. But that's not neemos argument.

I'm not saying it was.

And...military spending is a form of infrastructure???

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The factories that build the equipment and parts for those military projects are littered throughout the country. It matters to the economy. More infrastructure creates more jobs. We start cutting military spending significantly it will create more unemployment.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

our constitution is the most revered legal document in the world.

This made me chuckle... Stop acting like the US constitution is some sort of Magna Carta. It's a 230 year old document that was designed to be just vague enough to get everyone on board, filled with ambiguity to hide the underlying disagreements the founding fathers had about the necessity of even having such a document, let alone its contents.
It's a fucking legal document, context is important and that context has changed significantly over the past centuries. You're delusional if you really believe that it is a perfect document that has absolutely no room for improvement.

Randall Flagg wrote:

There’s no way you’re getting 2/3 of Congress and 2/3 of the states to ratify an abolishment of the 2nd amendment.

Yeah, it's hard, so why even bother trying, right? We should only aspire things that are easy to achieve, anything else is just... what... not worth the effort?

Look, Smoking Guns is dead-on with his assessment, and it is fucking awe inspiring to see the zeal in his posts. The problem is the gun fetish, the problem is the fact that owning a gun is considered normal or even necessary, the problem is that murder weapons are normalized in your country. Of course banning guns isn't going to magically make them inaccessible to criminals, but it will get them out of the collective minds of normal people so that when you see someone carrying a gun you don't just shrug your shoulders and think "eh... probably just another gun toting, goat fucking redneck", you see it for what it is: a human being that feels the need to express his disdain for human life in public AND A POTENTIAL THREAT TO YOUR LIFE. You know... "see something, say something", not "see something, say something except when it's a goatee sporting nitwit in cargo shorts with a semi-automatic weapon slung around his neck"

Banning guns makes it harder for those who have acquired one illegally to carry it from one place to another, it makes it easier to spot criminals with guns, it makes it SO MUCH HARDER to smuggle a metric shit-ton of them into a fucking hotel room looking over one of the most iconic tourist attractions in the world.

Isn't it obvious to you that if there are no exceptions to the rule, it is much more straightforward to enforce it?

o-TARGET-570.jpg
"What? ay'm just a-protectin' muh freedoms, man!"

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
misterID wrote:

The factories that build the equipment and parts for those military projects are littered throughout the country. It matters to the economy. More infrastructure creates more jobs. We start cutting military spending significantly it will create more unemployment.

So... because a given industry could suffer, you should just carry on as-is? There's no way to replace those jobs? The only thing American workers are good at is building equipment and parts for military projects?

You probably think the government should subsidize coal miners too, right?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Nope, didn't say that at all. We can make smart cuts, but don't act like nothing positive doesn't come out of it. Our greatest innovations come from the military budget. And our military should be constantly evolving. They should be constantly getting better and making better equipment.

When manufacturing jobs are shrinking, as are jobs not requiring college degrees, I say we hold on to them. I'm not sure they'd share your enthusiasm of just finding another job with that pay so easily.

Again, don't make up arguments or assumptions for me to fit your narrative. I believe in solar and renewable energies.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Ban whatever you want; absolutely nothing changes. If all guns were made illegal today, it would be decades before any noticeable decrease in availability happened. And we know that will and can never happen.  Bad guys will ALWAYS have access to guns.  All you can control is the few that would turn their's in.

Why has Australia's mass shootings dropped dramatically?? Can we not admit we have a fucking problem??? Jesus Christ, 600 people just got shot and you guys say nothing can be done.

Pistols ok
Shotguns ok
Hunting rifle ok
AR 15 with 100 round mag and a bump stock is NOT OKAY

can we at least admit this simple shit?

We cant get rid of AR 15s under any circumstances.

Flagg might need to go duck hunting....

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Dems will pray it is a white guy and not a Muslim and the Republicans will pray it is not a white man but a Muslim.

Sad but true.

As for armor-piercing bullets, they would only be legal if the manufacturer claims the ammunition is for “sporting purposes.” (Like when you just know that deer is wearing a flak jacket.)

It really is amazing the crap they'll pull.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

Jesus, yes, carry on ...

So we are on the same page? 22 roll

Randall Flagg wrote:

What you can’t apparently grasp is we value our constitution and rights. The 2nd amendment is a right in America. The right to own a firearm is indisputable. And unlike Australia or England, we setup our constitution so it can’t be altered at the drop of a hat.

I get that your country didn’t kick the English monarchs out until 1981 or 1982, but we did that 200 years earlier and our constitution is the most revered legal document in the world.

Oh see thats our issue ... here in Canada it is 2017 and not 1776 ... how stupid of me...thinking times change and shit .. how is the gold rush coming along the wild frontier? Meet and roaming bands of Mohawk Indians scalp hunting or outlaw bandits robbing trains lately?

Randall Flagg wrote:

You’re on a message board for an American band using a computer invented by Americans powered by electricity invented/harnessed by Americans using the internet created by Americans. Cut me a break.

And all of that shit exists cuz of guns! big_smile Horray and thank you! 22 The world does wait on the US of A to do anything u know ... especially like it when u guys bang ur chests ... so inspiring! (PS here is a nugget of info .... u may want to know that the US buys Canadian electricity not the other way around)

misterID wrote:

Again, don't make up arguments or assumptions for me to fit your narrative. I believe in solar and renewable energies.

Yes the USA is a poster child for energy and environment reform ... maybe u can use ur guns to protect from global warming ... oh wait GW doesnt exist ... i forgot ... but at least u have guns right? It can't be all that bad

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No.  You're wrong.  We can't keep drugs (illegal) or undocumented people (illegal) out of this country and you think banning guns is going to fix anything?  At least I assume that's your brilliant idea that will "greatly reduce" it.  If it's something far more intelligent than that, please share...

Like I said. The usual weak men making the same old tired arguments, capitulating to gun salesmen no less. How absolutely pathetic!

It does work moron. Australia did it. Other countries that have strict gun laws show that it's effective every single day. Yes there may still be crimes that involve guns, but they are a fraction of what we have here.

It won't work here dumbfuck.  How many times do I have to repeat this. We can't keep illegal drugs or people out of this country but we're just going to keep guns out? You are one stupid motherfucker.

Board footer