You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: The General confirmed next

ClaudeF wrote:

It’s pretty clear at this point that he took inspiration from not just the sound of NIN but also the scope of that band’s albums. In that context the combination of structured songs and ambient, mood-setting pieces heard in the storage locker leaks makes perfect sense.

NIN’s The Fragile came out in 1999, in all of its rambling, epic scope and people loved it. ChiDem really should have come out around the same time, and been allowed to be just as ambitious.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

All of it caused by clinging on to the GN'R name. Even if he wanted to make an album like that the record company would never back it. More or less that is what seems to have happened. Instead we got an eclectic disk of some non committal "NIN type songs" and a whole bunch of UYI feat Finck and Bucket which rarely fit together.

This why I think OMG is so interesting. If they went balls out with that type of music we could have had a special album. So far removed from the GN'R sound that it would never suffer under comparisons. It would be able to speak for itself.

Sky Dog wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

It’s pretty clear at this point that he took inspiration from not just the sound of NIN but also the scope of that band’s albums. In that context the combination of structured songs and ambient, mood-setting pieces heard in the storage locker leaks makes perfect sense.

NIN’s The Fragile came out in 1999, in all of its rambling, epic scope and people loved it. ChiDem really should have come out around the same time, and been allowed to be just as ambitious.

Agree….

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

All of it caused by clinging on to the GN'R name. Even if he wanted to make an album like that the record company would never back it. More or less that is what seems to have happened. Instead we got an eclectic disk of some non committal "NIN type songs" and a whole bunch of UYI feat Finck and Bucket which rarely fit together.

The so called "vision" got reduced to a hodgepodge of leaks. It's the main reason I'd like to see the original track list of 2001-2. Which direction did he originally intend to go with it? Seeing that would be the only way to ever find out.

This why I think OMG is so interesting. If they went balls out with that type of music we could have had a special album. So far removed from the GN'R sound that it would never suffer under comparisons. It would be able to speak for itself.

Maybe so...but I would've preferred OMG to be held back (or rejected) at least temporarily and see what would've happened if This I Love had been in What Dreams May Come.

That's a potential game changer early in the project.

The question is where the fuck are those songs supossed to fill up two and a half or three albums according to SB or Axl?

He had enough for two albums. The trilogy stuff a pipe dream... especially if he stuck to his plan of having B sides.

Had CD and II been released in a timely fashion (2001-4), the project runs out of material quickly.

The locker leaks, along with a small handful of other tracks are really all that was finished from the sessions - so them releasing the 2008 Album plus around 5 or 6 tracks now will really close the door on that period of creativity and there's nothing else than can be saved.

It's this option.

There's no longer a reason for the fan base to want CD II because we aren't/never were getting it.

We're getting another hodgepodge but this time in a trickle.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

02-06 was his moment.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

He had enough for two albums. The trilogy stuff a pipe dream.

Although I suspect if the plate had been cleared with 2 successful albums and the world had accepted a new more electronic GNR as he hoped then the third would have been easier to write.

It seems like he got stuck in a loop with this project, I mean even after the album came out in 2008 the band seemed to be reworking them in 2010.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

I never imagined that my post would be so relevant in the future for the young fanbase of some of the greatest singers of all time. That young gentleman has spoke to me all morning about this and I felt the "mission" to clarify the facts.

Again, despite the outrage of many fans of the band, I've have to say that those 14 songs released in november 2008, were the same 14 songs that they were working on in february 2006 (yes, some of them were instrumental tunes at the time). Every other song was somwehat unfinished and some of them has no lyrics at all. I know this information is difficult to digest but it is the truth. And I really love Axl Rose and his music. Please, don't be so rude.

Despite what is said in other forums, this last year (at my house) I have immersed myself in the history of the album. On those great leaks.

By chance, on top of my memory, some of those songs were only "half?" finished:

14 songs of the album (priority songs, only 14 songs to be worked since 2006; not counting Bumblefoot work).
"Oh My God" remake
"Going Down" from Tommy Stinson (I've never met him)
"Silkworms" (renamed)
"The General" (unfinished at the times, I've never heard it but it was instrumental as far as I know)
"Atlas Shrugged" (I really loved that 1999 leak; that was somewhat finished in feb 2006 but Caram... well, that was on the unfinished list, anyway.
"Jackie Chan" (never listened to it until the 2019 leaks. It was on the instrumental unfinished list).
"Cuban Skies", "Oklahoma" (instrumentals, on the unfinished list; I've read last year a user from here has wrote that "Cuban Skies" is about cigars and that but I've never listened the song, anyway. "Oklahoma" was about bombings or something like that but that was on the unfinished with no vocals list as well. Maybe Axl wanted a complete rewrite of those tunes. Maybe, that was why he renamed "Berlin" to that tune).
"Devious Bastard" (I've listened to that song, a Monti/Constanzo tune. It lasted around two minutes but it was better than the rough mixes version. It only has screams by Rose ala "Quick Song")
"Elvis" song (Never listened to it. I really loved "Me & My Elvis" in the 2019 leaks. It was on the list).

Add "Tonto" (instrumental in 2006, never finished) and two of those highly rumored songs ("Seven", "Thyme") and you have that "trilogy"... That's like less than 26 finished tracks since 1999 to 2008. After 2009, surely that "The General" and some other songs has been received new vocals or something like that. "Me & My Elvis", "Atlas Shrugged", "Jackie Chan" has vocals by 2006 but those were rejected for sure. Those were in that "B list material".

I'm going to say it again.

The best of the bunch, the capital songs, has been released in november 2008. I'm not trying to break any fantasy to those who love Axl Rose and his music. The best unreleased material from the "Chinese Democracy sessions" has been leaked in 2019.

I want to say hello to those who love this music. I've left that industry many years ago. I'm going to say it again: I am surprised by the diffusion that my post had. I'm hoping for new music by Axl.

My best wishes to Mr. Rose, Mr. Constanzo, Mrs. Lebeis and all that energetic fanbase. Love to you all.

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

I got this text from the Hoffman forum!...I just wanted to share it in case it shed some more light on the supposed trilogy!

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

"I have worked with Dan Monti from 2006 to July 2009 before returning to my country. A pic of those sheets with him were on my Motorola V3 many years ago."

"There were like 80 takes from vocal sketches from Rose that last some few minutes. I remember a song called "Silkworms", barely has any lyrics on it. A song called "Devious Bastard" in 2006 that last only one minute and a half with Rose screaming all over it."

"I've heard about that Chinese Democracy triloghy story. By the end of 2006, when Monti finished to write the final music to some of the Bucket's tunes, there were only like 23/24 songs with complete vocals and really FINISHED. Here is what I had in the top of my head:

The 14 released songs plus a reworked Oh My God. A screamo song called Silkworms (barely has any lyrics on it; seems unfinished) I remember a title called Atlas Shrugged, also leaked last year. Some of the Bucket songs have replaced those tunes, like "Shackler's Revenge" and others. Another title was called Elvis Presley, Oklahoma and Jackie Chan. I've never heard any of these songs. The famous The General and a curious title 100 Cuban Skies. Those 8/9 songs were slated as "B material". The best of the bunch has been released on november 2008.

Three albums for 23/24 songs? Yeah right. Already one disc has only 14 songs. I don't know what Rose had in mind in those years. That album is so old now. Maybe a bonus disc with those 8 unreleased songs is welcome."

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

"I have worked with Dan Monti from 2006 to July 2009 before returning to my country. A pic of those sheets with him were on my Motorola V3 many years ago."

"There were like 80 takes from vocal sketches from Rose that last some few minutes. I remember a song called "Silkworms", barely has any lyrics on it. A song called "Devious Bastard" in 2006 that last only one minute and a half with Rose screaming all over it."

"I've heard about that Chinese Democracy triloghy story. By the end of 2006, when Monti finished to write the final music to some of the Bucket's tunes, there were only like 23/24 songs with complete vocals and really FINISHED. Here is what I had in the top of my head:

The 14 released songs plus a reworked Oh My God. A screamo song called Silkworms (barely has any lyrics on it; seems unfinished) I remember a title called Atlas Shrugged, also leaked last year. Some of the Bucket songs have replaced those tunes, like "Shackler's Revenge" and others. Another title was called Elvis Presley, Oklahoma and Jackie Chan. I've never heard any of these songs. The famous The General and a curious title 100 Cuban Skies. Those 8/9 songs were slated as "B material". The best of the bunch has been released on november 2008.

Three albums for 23/24 songs? Yeah right. Already one disc has only 14 songs. I don't know what Rose had in mind in those years. That album is so old now. Maybe a bonus disc with those 8 unreleased songs is welcome."

You also posted this at http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 94#p350094

If you read the thread, the consensus on Hoffman’s site is that guy’s story was a bunch of lies.

Board footer