You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

monkeychow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Here's something that worries me....at what point does Axl give up and snap?
(

That's already happened in my opinion.

I sometimes wonder if a lot of the delays are because of that. I mean its a hell of a lot of pressure...trying to create a band to equal or better the original GNR, waiting for your own artisitc muse, battling your own emotional deamons, and when you and the other artists in the band have difficult personalities.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if when something goes wrong, like bucket leaving, he gave up for a year or two....then recovers and soilders on. My fear is that eventually he might give up for good.

Some think this will lead to a reunion and it might...but it could also lead to less cool things like his complete disapearence for good, or his death etc.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think he has snapped in different ways. Going from hermit to party boy as fast as he did kind of says something. And I think it changed the bands dynamic vastly. Check out 2002 and compare it with 2006. Even though the band sounded tighter on stage, the group seemed compeletly different. Maybe Axl's change affected the others.

Tommy seemed like he didn't give a shit on stage, completely different than he did in 02. Robin went through a complete personality change. I always took his hippy, 70's rock star persona of 06 as a way of telling people he wasn't real happy where he was at.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think he has snapped in different ways. Going from hermit to party boy as fast as he did kind of says something. And I think it changed the bands dynamic vastly. Check out 2002 and compare it with 2006. Even though the band sounded tighter on stage, the group seemed compeletly different. Maybe Axl's change affected the others.

Tommy seemed like he didn't give a shit on stage, completely different than he did in 02. Robin went through a complete personality change. I always took his hippy, 70's rock star persona of 06 as a way of telling people he wasn't real happy where he was at.

Was tommy unhappy seeming in 06 u mean?

Yeah it was interesting Robin's change...i saw it as him trying to fit the mold of what was expected from a GNR guitarist...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

very cool...*karma* i've never seen that before

who says BBF killed that? you should watch this that was fucking awesome 9

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

Now, to royalties (royalties generate from album sales at a contracted % under the recording agreement-which NO new members are a part of-see above), why would Axl incur ALL the costs under the recording agreement, then only take a portion of the royalties? Rest assured, Mr Finck and Mr Stinson don't have the money to help payoff 13 million in recording costs. They simply were paid a monthly salary by Axl and/or the record company. A lot of that 13 million went to paying for the band members salaries...see LOST ROSE Rolling Stone article for reference and the NY TIMES article....Sic...help???

Sorry, I'm late.

But you're correct.

One internal cost analysis from the period pegs the operation's monthly tab at a staggering $244,000. It included more than $50,000 in studio time at the Village, a more modern studio where Mr. Baker had moved the band. It also included a combined payroll for seven band members that exceeded $62,000, with the star players earning roughly $11,000 each. Guitar technicians earned about $6,000 per month, while the album's main engineer was paid $14,000 per month and a recording software engineer was paid $25,000 a month, the document stated. - NYT

Breaking it down a bit:

$50,000 for the Village Recording Studios/month

$62,000 to be divided between 7 players (with Bucket and Brain(?) earning $11,000), the average paycheck for a band member was nearly $9,000/month

$14,000 for main engineer (Caram Constanzo or Eric Caudieux)

$25,000 for Pro-Tools man (Caram Constanzo or Eric Caudieux)

$6,000 for guitar techs

Notice that if we assume there are three guitar techs on monthly wages, the sum of Leeds' descriptions reached $169,000 - So there's still $75,000 to be accounted for! That's the kind of money they somehow managed to blow into various expenses, as 50K for the rental of the studio space should allow access to all the toys in the said space.

In May, 2000:

Whether Axl's emotional and legal troubles contributed to the demise of the original GN'R is open to interpretation. There is little dispute, however, about one thing they did cause: a massive delay in finishing Chinese Democracy, which is in reality an Axl Rose solo record. This work has been six years, a roomful of studio musicians and a rumoured $6 million worth of Interscope/Geffen's money in the making. It is still not finished and probably won't be anytime soon. - RS, 2000

In May, 2001:

But the tour has since been pulled due to illness - "internal haemorranging" suffered by Slash replacement Buckethead. Chinese Democracy, too, has been postponed for the umpteenth time - until autumn at the very earliest - pending adjustments by, possibly, its sixth producer, Queen veteran Roy Thomas Baker. To date, the project is rumoured to have cost a mindboggling $8 million. - Q Magazine, 2001

When the plug was pulled in February '04, the costs got around $13 million. Three years with another $5 million, around $1,66 million a year. The costs for the Sean Beavan album (and likely the aborted '96 album) can be rolled into one, which means studio work from '94 to '99 equaling $6 million. Subtract the $500,000 advance Axl took from Geffen from the overall costs, add up the most insane period of studio activity and it was actually rather cheap, considering.

So, you know...

Village Studios from early '00 to early '04 equals $50,000/month, assuming for 48 months. The Village tab ends at roughly $2,4 million. Ease up the aforementioned $6 million and the Village tab from the overall $13M, and you'll get $4,6 million for personnel costs et al in between 2000-2004.

If you'd get 7 guys on a monthly paycheck for 48 months, the overall costs of payment would be a little under $3 million. Since Finck re-joined the band in the fall of '00 and Brain was in called in June/July '00, it slides a little. But I'd say around $2,5 million for band member paychecks alone in between 00-04 is a reasonable estimation.

Add up the potential overall wages of Caram Constanzo and Eric Caudieux and you'll end up closing in on another $2 million mark.

That's part of the reason the project is so expensive. They were all professionals there, and they were well-paid.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it looks like NIN and Robin are now touring until atleast the end of october.

http://tour.nin.com/

I am one of the believers that Robin is out.  I'd be really shocked if GNR would put themselves on hold more until Robins done with NIN or if he'd even want to go back.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

IMO NIN is gonna tour for 8 months at least

Board footer