You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is way the fuck off topic, but since this thread is as all over the place as CD is

16 very true but its made for some good conversation. 22

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That is why Estranged has been voted one of the worst rock ballads of all time.  It's considered a joke by most people. 

Civil War is easily forgotten by the general public.  Ask anyone that isn't a diehard to name a GNR song and i can guarantee that Civil War and Estranged won't even cross their minds.

haha! Ask anyone who's not a diehard to name anything other than SCOM, PC, Jungle, or November Rain. You really are outta touch here Saikin with the appreciation that Civil War garners from Gn'R fans and non fans alike. That is a sick ass song and I've yet to hear anyone ever say otherwise.

None of the Estranged bashing ever happend untill after the video was released. the song rules and everyone knew it. BUT when they put out the over the top video it was durring the Grunge fever pitch and it was now cool to blast bands like Gn'R. the video was pompus so critics started to associate the song with the video.  the video was anything but street crd Gn'R so of course sudenly the song losses it's cred. My brother who is not in any way shape or from a diehard or even a  fan really just said he thinks Estranged is, and I quote "fucking awesome".

is it just me or am I seeing a situation develope here where people are wanting to like the new Gn'R so badly that the've actually started trying to justify a song like  Estranged being a  joke or Civil War being forgettable to support their case? This has got to be one of the most insane things I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. neutral

This is exactly what is going on.  Breakdown, if a CD era song, would be the best CD era song IMO.  I can't believe a fellow fan would say Estranged was trash.  I think its one of GNR's finest moments.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That is why Estranged has been voted one of the worst rock ballads of all time.  It's considered a joke by most people. 

Civil War is easily forgotten by the general public.  Ask anyone that isn't a diehard to name a GNR song and i can guarantee that Civil War and Estranged won't even cross their minds.

haha! Ask anyone who's not a diehard to name anything other than SCOM, PC, Jungle, or November Rain. You really are outta touch here Saikin with the appreciation that Civil War garners from Gn'R fans and non fans alike. That is a sick ass song and I've yet to hear anyone ever say otherwise.

None of the Estranged bashing ever happend untill after the video was released. the song rules and everyone knew it. BUT when they put out the over the top video it was durring the Grunge fever pitch and it was now cool to blast bands like Gn'R. the video was pompus so critics started to associate the song with the video.  the video was anything but street crd Gn'R so of course sudenly the song losses it's cred. My brother who is not in any way shape or from a diehard or even a  fan really just said he thinks Estranged is, and I quote "fucking awesome".

is it just me or am I seeing a situation develope here where people are wanting to like the new Gn'R so badly that the've actually started trying to justify a song like  Estranged being a  joke or Civil War being forgettable to support their case? This has got to be one of the most insane things I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. neutral

Estranged isn't a joke, i never said it was.  I did say the public views it as a joke, and that is because of the video.  People remember songs a lot by their videos, and Estranged's isn't really a good one. 

Most casual GNR fans i know do not know Civil War, at least not by name.  They know the song, but not the name.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

This is exactly what is going on.  Breakdown, if a CD era song, would be the best CD era song IMO.  I can't believe a fellow fan would say Estranged was trash.  I think its one of GNR's finest moments.

Please show me where I said Estranged is trash.  For those who know my past, i have always said Estranged is an amazing song and far better than NR. 

Breakdown is too an amazing song.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Estranged isn't a joke, i never said it was.  I did say the public views it as a joke, and that is because of the video.  People remember songs a lot by their videos, and Estranged's isn't really a good one. 

Most casual GNR fans i know do not know Civil War, at least not by name.  They know the song, but not the name.

My point exactly. the song is associated with the video. Nobody thought it was a joke before they saw the video. Play the song in a neutral setting and  people WILL like it.  And the situation with people not knowing the name of a song(Civil War) is not unique to the general public when it comes to alot of songs. Huge club hits like Low by hip hop artist Flo Rida are requested all the time by the wrong name. Most people know it as Apple Bottom Jeans . When I ask if they mean "Low" they aren't sure. Sometimes they even say "can you play song #4 off justin Timberlakes new album.  The general public doesn't care what a  song is called. You play Civil War and people WILL like it and remember it.   Civil War just might be the one Gn'R song that even Gn'R haters like.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm with Bono and SG on this subject of Estranged and Civil War, but I can see the other point as well. Civil War is one of the only non singles to ever be played on a massive rotation on top 40 radio. Its most certainly known in the music world. Of course its not being played now because its one of UYI II's obscure tracks. Like Bono said, grannies were even listening to Estranged until grunge hit.

I feel like we've entered a time warp where we're in 1991 but using the internet.

Who cares about Chinese Democracy? Lets speculate about UYI.:laugh:

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Bono wrote:

Please show me where I said Estranged is trash.  For those who know my past, i have always said Estranged is an amazing song and far better than NR. 

Saikin, you didn't.  I think I once saw the list you speak of called bad songs by great bands.  I think it had to do with a video that wasn't well recieved.  I remember letting a friend hear estranged on the school bus in 1993 or so.  He was fucking blown away and was never a fan of GNR but said that song was brilliant.  No lie.  He said it was one of the most beautiful songs he had ever heard.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm...despite GNR's mainstream success i've always thought of their albums as being somewhat "for the fans", especially since UYI 1+2 because of the diverse nature of the songs.

I think some of the single choices of the past could be put on par with a properly mastered version of these leaks, in relation to their non-obvious singleness...

For example:

Yestersdays = The Blues
Estranged = madagascar

from there the comparisions do start to strain a little

TWAT is kinda like NR but not as compelling.

What the leaks lack is a mainstream song that would kill.

For example "You could be mine" is more mainstream and got a lot more success than I can see any of this material getting.

But that's the nature of the beast. Axl wanted to change styles and do new things, and that's what we're seeing here. I can't see the songs from this album crossing over to go to #1, but at the same time, I think a mastered version of these songs with a few others, would be an incredibily awesome record and hopefully still quite sucessful, just to more of a niece market than the SCOM listener.

Bono

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm with Bono and SG on this subject of Estranged and Civil War, but I can see the other point as well. Civil War is one of the only non singles to ever be played on a massive rotation on top 40 radio. Its most certainly known in the music world. Of course its not being played now because its one of UYI II's obscure tracks. Like Bono said, grannies were even listening to Estranged until grunge hit.

I feel like we've entered a time warp where we're in 1991 but using the internet.

Who cares about Chinese Democracy? Lets speculate about UYI.14

16 that's too funny.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Saikin, you didn't.  I think I once saw the list you speak of called bad songs by great bands.  I think it had to do with a video that wasn't well recieved.  I remember letting a friend hear estranged on the school bus in 1993 or so.  He was fucking blown away and was never a fan of GNR but said that song was brilliant.  No lie.  He said it was one of the most beautiful songs he had ever heard.

I took your post wrong then, sorry. 

Estranged is one amazing song, that's for damn sure.  That's why it pisses me off that it is taken as a joke just because of the video.  I hate how people are too dumb to see past the video and listen to the music.  There's a concept, judge music based on the music.  16 

Are we really this bored with the leaks already that we have to talk about UYI?  16

Board footer