You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: METALLICA Discussion

James wrote:

I was talking to someone at a different forum about this, which is why I decided to start this thread. Metallica have always been against a GH collection. They like each of their albums to stand on their own merit. Understandable I guess. However, at some point they are going to have to release a GH. If they don't decide to do it, their label will decide for them.

Metallica has an interesting discography. Alot of ups, and some downs as well. If Metallica decides to do it, the key will be to not just put the hits on it, but create a tracklist that represents what the band has been about throughout its career. Basically to show the band's legacy on one compilation. There's no way in hell this could be accomplished with one disc. So if the band decides to pull the trigger on the idea, it will likely be a 2 cd set. It would probably need to look something like this:

Cd 1

Hit the Lights
(Anesthesia)-Pulling Teeth
Seek and Destroy
Am I Evil
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Battery
Master of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
The Small Hours
Last Caress
Blackened
And Justice For All
One
The Shortest Straw
Harvester of Sorrow

Cd 2

Enter Sandman
Sad but True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I may Roam
Nothing Else Matters
Of Wolf and Man
King Nothing
Until It Sleeps
Hero of the Day
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Better than You
Turn the Page
Whiskey in the Jar
Outlaw Torn
St. Anger
Some Kind of Monster

I cant imagine a compilation better than that, and I even had to disregard some of my favorites to make this a pretty balanced set.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i tried to do a one disk GH a while ago and i couldnt even fit all their singles on one i'll try to make aGH later on but that is a good selection James 9

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah it's a good list. Only problem I'd see with it is alot of those songs are 7-8 minutes long, especially on Disc 1, so you might have to cut even a few more off.

I like how the cd's switch at Sandman/Black Album. That was a real change for the band, and turning point. I'd like to see the GH reflect that.

James

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I like how the cd's switch at Sandman/Black Album. That was a real change for the band, and turning point. I'd like to see the GH reflect that.

I did that on purpose. The Black album turned Metallica into a whole different beast. Both eras have to be seperated, which is one reason a one disc GH would never work. It would be loaded with Black album material, and thats not how to properly show what they were all about.

If Metallica does a compilation like this, they need to have in mind young people who have never heard of them before and our looking to dive into their discography. You need to give them a taste of everything.

Yeah, the first disc is long, but there's really nothing that can be left off of there, maybe Orion.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I didn't know until this thread that they didn't have a GH.  I just assumed one was out already.

I like James' collection, but admittedly would listen to CD2 a lot more than CD1.  Other than Battery and Master of Puppets, I can live without hearing any of them anytime soon.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I actually made up my own 2-disc 'hits' compilation to listen to in the car a few years ago so I didn't have carry all their cds, and I made something like this which I think are their biggest songs/hits. This was prior to St Anger being released, so there are no songs from there on it, but it fit nicely onto 2 almost-full cds.

Hit the Lights
Jump In The Fire
Whiplash
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Battery
Master of Puppets
Last Caress/Green Hell
Blackened
One
Harvester of Sorrow

Cd 2
Enter Sandman
Sad but True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I may Roam
Nothing Else Matters
Until It Sleeps
King Nothing
Hero of the Day
Mama Said
Fuel
The Memory Remains
The Unforgiven II
Turn the Page
Whiskey in the Jar
Die, Die My Darling

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Battery
Master of Puppets
One
Harvester of Sorrow
Enter Sandman
Sad but True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I may Roam
Nothing Else Matters
King Nothing
Until It Sleeps
Hero of the Day
Fuel
The Memory Remains

i think this was my one disk compilation i cant remember and i lost it maybe harvester of sorrow wasnt on it...it was something both my wife and i could listen to cuz she doesnt care for the really hard stuff 16 ....its really hard to do them justice on one disk but maybe make a disk of hits as a GH for the average fan....Then for the hardcore fans a 2 disk with the second disk being more hardcore tunes like aenesthesia and orion and stuff

oh yeah i dont think they can use the tunes that Mustaine has credit on any longer unless he agrees....

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

CD-1
The Four Horsemen
Anethesia- Pulling Teeth
Whiplash
No Remorse
Seek and Destroy
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
The Call of Ktulu
Battery
Master of Puppets
Orion

CD-2
Blackened
One
Harvester of Sorrow
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters
My Friend of Misery
Until It Sleeps
Fuel
Turn the Page
Whiskey in the Jar
I Disappear
Frantic

Not sure they would all fit on there, but this is where I would start. Yeah, its probably a little heavy on the old stuff, but IMO thats the best.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

There was already a thread started about what you'd pick for a Metallica Greatest Hits, so I thought I'd start one about more 'general' Metallica discussion. And what better way to start that then by discussing this below:

Metallica's setlist from their acoustic set at the Bridge School Benefit, Saturday October 27, 2007:

I Just Want To Celebrate (Rare Earth)
Please Don't Judas Me (Nazareth)
I'm Only Happy When It Rains (Garbage)
Brothers In Arms (Dire Straits)
Disposable Hereos
All Within My Hands
Turn The Page
Nothing Else Matters

Certainly a very interesting set - five covers and three originals... I'd love to hear a recording! 9

James

James wrote:

I would kill to hear Please Don't Judas Me. I seriously cant imagine Hetfield singing that. Would love to know how it turned out.

Board footer