You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy release date?

Sky Dog wrote:

the Finck thing is the only one of consequence....all other bandmembers projects are small potatos in comparison to a potential Gnr paycheck. This thing could go a thousand different directions. It really is the only thing exciting we have left that is "unknown".....who the fuck will show up when Axl ever decides to tour again. 9 I just wish this board would focus a little more on the positive side right now since things are looking up.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Big Gun wrote:

no band stays this quite if they were going to release an album in 5 weeks time. if best buy deal is true that's just for the usa market, how are they gonna sell/promote this album to the rest of the world?

Other than GNR being on a sold out US tour, they said NOTHING in the lead up to the release after Billboard confirmed it. I remember the RS article that pretty much coincided with release, but other than that nothing. Sure, the band was always giving lots of details in the years leading up to UYI, but the actual release was really no different than whats happening now. Main difference is the fact that GNR were the biggest thing on the planet back then, now they are not.

I don't remember anybody being skeptical back then about release, and UYI had alot of false starts as well. Its why you see old school fans such as madagas and I pretty much believing in this because we remember how the UYI release went down.

Billboard announced it, and weeks later it was out.

2 songs in less than a month after a 9 year silence of officially released music is semi reassuring to me. Coupled with the FACT (we have actual audio proof) that their fucking manager played three tracks at the Best Buy convention, coupled with the FACT that Gnr was on a Universal release list for the FIRST time...makes me slightly optimistic on a release this year.

As for what they will do after, who the fuck knows because there is no band at all. No one is under contract at this point-not Robin, Tommy, Slash, Duff no one. However, that doesn't mean there automatically will be a reunion. I believe there is just as much chance or a higher chance of us getting some form of new Gnr tour before a reunion.

I agree, and as far as any possible lineup(ONLY needed if they tour or do promo like SNL) we cannot discount the possibility of an entirely new lineup being created.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
madagas wrote:

2 songs in less than a month after a 9 year silence of officially released music is semi reassuring to me. Coupled with the FACT (we have actual audio proof) that their fucking manager played three tracks at the Best Buy convention, coupled with the FACT that Gnr was on a Universal release list for the FIRST time...makes me slightly optimistic on a release this year.

- i have an official letter from the manager at-the-time that said we'll get the album in 2006
- i have an open letter to the fans from the frontman of this band saying the album would be done by march 2007
- i have a commercial with better in it that got pulled off at the last minute
- i have a song on an officially released soundtrack
- i have release dates from interviews with different bandmembers including axl across years that came and went

what i don't have is an actual album in my hands. some people need to go back and read the chinese democracy saga that sic. (if i remember correctly) posted here.

this is guns n' roses. this is axl rose. this could get pulled at any moment.

until there is an official press release from guns n' roses with cover art and tracklisting i have no reason to believe this album is closer to release this year than all the other years that have passed. call me a skeptical, cynic or negativist (second political party in gnr la-la-land. take that you reunionists 13)

James

James wrote:
supaplex wrote:

[

until there is an official press release from guns n' roses with cover art and tracklisting i have no reason to believe this album is closer to release this year than all the other years

Can you show me the official press release for UYI in 1991? When you find it, you'll see that its a Billboard article sent out over the AP wires.

supaplex

supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
supaplex wrote:

[

until there is an official press release from guns n' roses with cover art and tracklisting i have no reason to believe this album is closer to release this year than all the other years

Can you show me the official press release for UYI in 1991? When you find it, you'll see that its a Billboard article sent out over the AP wires.

let's not compare it to the uyi times shall we? in 1991 big sites didn't go around band forums to get their news.

James

James wrote:
supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
supaplex wrote:

[

let's not compare it to the uyi times shall we? in 1991 big sites didn't go around band forums to get their news.

Its not necessarily a comparison to 1991. I know the differences between 91 and 2008. However, if you take it into context of how GNR have always approached album releases, what's going on now isn't out of the ordinary. Is it different than how other bands are doing releases? Sure. Different from prior GNR releases? Not really.

Hell, the only real promo TSI got was a Slash interview in either People or EW Magazine.

Where we will see if there's a huge difference in approach is leading right up to release and the post release aftermath.

I just think a lot of people are surprised that it turned out like this and its creating some of the disbelief we are seeing.

supaplex

supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its not necessarily a comparison to 1991. I know the differences between 91 and 2008. However, if you take it into context of how GNR have always approached album releases, what's going on now isn't out of the ordinary. Is it different than how other bands are doing releases? Sure. Different from prior GNR releases? Not really.

Hell, the only real promo TSI got was a Slash interview in either People or EW Magazine.

Where we will see if there's a huge difference in approach is leading right up to release and the post release aftermath.

I just think a lot of people are surprised that it turned out like this and its creating some of the disbelief we are seeing.

when the illusions came out there were other people behind it, different managers, different people in decision-making places. so, that's why i don't consider this the same thing and would rather not compare it.

tsi did not get any proper promotion because it was a covers record that the band put up to please the fans that wanted some studio gnr, and because gnr was touring the world they didn't have time/want to record an album of originals at that moment.

and yes, i would be surprised/disappointed if this album came out with little/no promotion. axl said we'd get proper promotion (but he said a lot of things that didn't happen so that's not a real valid point). the fact they choose to fly under the radar amazes me. it's like they want it to fail on all terms (shut up you reunionists tongue). why wouldn't you promote an album of your own work? aren't you proud of your accomplishments?.

as a parallel, dido is putting out her new record nov. 16. on the new website we have artwork, tracklist, 3 studio clips, 3 new songs, one of them given to fans for free on the official website and there's a tidbit of news every day.

if cd would come out wouldn't it be nice to give it at least some promotion by the band?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bloodyhell81 wrote:

thought this was interesting http://blogs.triplem.com.au/triplem/arc … bum_c.html

sounds like us aussies will be the first to get the albulm on 22 nov fingers crossed. smile

Wow...that's the kind of thing i've been waiting for...some word from my local outlets that they think its going to happen as well. It being on that release list, and MMM running with it here is pretty good news...wow...a day early here too! 3

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Not over here...my record store had posters up for weeks before hand. That's all i want...i dont want an eclipse of the sun...i just want to go into JB hifi...and them to have a little form on the desk with a GNR logo where they are taking names for pre-orders...just like they are doing now for Ac/Dc...and like they did for metallica a couple of months back...and like they do for any known band release.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Two or three months before UYIs, YCBM was played on radios and MTV played the shit out of the video. Now there is a song hidden beyond a game and some seconds of another song hidden in a movie. Hell, even the Romanian Angel soundtrack was more of a sign of a forthcoming release in 1990, than these two secret tunes.

Board footer