You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

war wrote:
bigbri wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I agree Neemo. Honestly, I can't believe how so many are cutting this thing loose after 7 days.

I was gonna mention something, but it's no use. Clearly, any positive remarks are gonna be shot down all over this forum. That's how it is. That's why I'm picking and choosing what threads to participate in, but it's pretty beleaguering when every thread turns into the same ol BS.

yeah, i agree.

every time i come on here i am increasingly more annoyed with the negativity around here.

it is worse now, a week after the release of the album we've been waiting for, than when i joined.

everybody has their opinions and that is fine but it seems the music has gotten pushed to the bottom of the priority list and that is sad.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

There was no need  to warm anybody up. Buttering up the public is a stupid game plan.  Better shoudl've been the first single. They should've tried to hit hard and hit fast in this day and age. A warm up period? I don't see the rational in that Neemo. hmm

neither do i 16 ...the only thing that i do know is that they wanted a rocker out first..they chose CD...its the most straight forward rocker track on the album...

IRS got some leaked air play in early 06 the average listener response was less than favorable, to quote james, Shackler's Revenge went over about as well as a bag of dog shit

If the world is too funky to be played on rock radio, TWAT is too long...you start to run out of options real fast, so what do you do? put out ballads first? you lose interest to the rock crowd, no you release a rocker, and come back with a better rocker then you brigde the gap and bring the chicks in with a heart felt ballad ... to me it makes sense

anyway i trust that gnr has a team in place to provide a marketing strategy. but you never come out strongest first...if you do then you will never be able to one up yourself...look at VR. Set me free first, then Slither...then FTP...then things got a bit shakey after that...still the album went nearly triple platinum in the states and estimated sales of 4 million world wide...not too shabby wink

How is TWAT too long?  Metallica have had a very successful single that is quite a ways up there in length when played on the radio.

war

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
war wrote:

the 82 million (Not 8) myspace listens proves there is interest in the material but it is way too early to say that it can be used against gnr as proof that people are hearing and not liking the material. i've been waiting for this album since 2000 and i just picked up my copy yesterday. if it were at wal mart or somewhere else i would have gotten it sooner but i wasn't gonna make a special trip when i could hear it for free on myspace.

based on the radio stations playing new gnr we pretty much know rock music fans are the ones buying the album and they are also the ones that are potentially gonna have issues with the lineup, not mainstream listeners who mostly won't know the difference. so it is rediculous to say this is a flop and cite the lineup as the reason.

i am actually a little disturbed some of you are attributing the alledged lack of quality to the non-blockbuster sales. even if the quality is not there (which i completely disagree with) the mediocre/dime a dozen music that is currently toppping the charts proves it has nothing to do with that.

cd is selling very well for a rock album right now. if you expect more you are setting unfair goals for cd. rock music is dead people. the only way this album is gonna make a spectacular run is if they have something special planned that we do not know about to promote their next couple singles and those singles need to find a way to appeal to the mainstream public.

you guys can bash me all you want but Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams are their best shots at appealing to the majority.

You're fucking kidding right? 14

Rock music is as big as it's been in eons right now. Artists like Hinder & Nickelback (shudder) are huge draws, and novelty acts like Van Halen, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, KISS, and heck even Poison have toured to big support from loyal crowds.

Legendary acts such as AC/DC & Metallica have both released new albums and toured to strong support, with AC/DC seeing a huge backing, by BIG record sales (a Wal-Mart exclusive too), as well as good concert sales.

Don't tell me rock is dead. Rock is more alive now, than in 2002. Axl took a big whiff at the plate in the bottom of the 9th, strike out, game over. Time to deal with reality

sigh

i guess your ideas of rock differ from mine

and i was talking about gnr (like when they released other albums to immediate and monumental success)

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I am negative only because no record does better than its first week sales. Take a look at the charts. Most albums decline anywhere from 50 to 60 percent 2nd week. So 50 percent of 300k is 150k for CD and then it usually goes down from there

what people don't understand about radio, this day and age especially where more are tuning to satellite radio, radio stations have limited number of spots. They are going to play the most popular stuff to get the most listeners.

if GNR lay an egg with their first 2 singles, radio will not even waste their time with a third single. Thats just the way it went.

look at libertad for example.  She Builds Quick Machines bombed then The Last Fight didn't do anything, so guess what? NOBODY played Get out The Door.

same with CD. Everything is riding on Better. If it sucks and no one likes it, fewer stations are gonna give any other New Gnr Songs airplay thus killing the record.

Axl has to do interviews to get radio stations to play it. Its a give and take business. U give them something, they give u something. Radio aren't gonna keep being ignored and then play the shit out of CD songs.

war

war wrote:

most albums are promoted down to their last resource by the first week.

i am still hoping axl is biding his time for the perfect interview.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
war wrote:

the 82 million (Not 8) myspace listens proves there is interest in the material but it is way too early to say that it can be used against gnr as proof that people are hearing and not liking the material. i've been waiting for this album since 2000 and i just picked up my copy yesterday. if it were at wal mart or somewhere else i would have gotten it sooner but i wasn't gonna make a special trip when i could hear it for free on myspace.

based on the radio stations playing new gnr we pretty much know rock music fans are the ones buying the album and they are also the ones that are potentially gonna have issues with the lineup, not mainstream listeners who mostly won't know the difference. so it is rediculous to say this is a flop and cite the lineup as the reason.

i am actually a little disturbed some of you are attributing the alledged lack of quality to the non-blockbuster sales. even if the quality is not there (which i completely disagree with) the mediocre/dime a dozen music that is currently toppping the charts proves it has nothing to do with that.

cd is selling very well for a rock album right now. if you expect more you are setting unfair goals for cd. rock music is dead people. the only way this album is gonna make a spectacular run is if they have something special planned that we do not know about to promote their next couple singles and those singles need to find a way to appeal to the mainstream public.

you guys can bash me all you want but Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams are their best shots at appealing to the majority.

Rock music is as big as it's been in eons right now. Artists like Hinder & Nickelback (shudder) are huge draws, and novelty acts like Van Halen, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, KISS, and heck even Poison have toured to big support from loyal crowds.

Legendary acts such as AC/DC & Metallica have both released new albums and toured to strong support, with AC/DC seeing a huge backing, by BIG record sales (a Wal-Mart exclusive too), as well as good concert sales.

Don't tell me rock is dead. Rock is more alive now, than in 2002. Axl took a big whiff at the plate in the bottom of the 9th, strike out, game over. Time to deal with reality

sigh

and i was talking about gnr (like when they released other albums to immediate and monumental success)

It has nothing to do with the fact of MY opinion of what rock is, and rock ain't.

Are you kidding? AC/DC are a bunch of old farts, recycling the same exact material since High Voltage, and WITH AN EXCLUSIVE, just sold a shit load of albums. A huge opening. #1 almost everywhere.

Metallica did very well.

GN'R struck out. Axl apparently ain't GN'R to the general public.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I do agree Axl's tired of the whole ordeal, but Irving Azoff was not brought in to "just drop an album in stores". Irving Azoff was brought in for the big score.

Now that might just be me seeing what I want to see, but I seriously don't see THAT kind of managment on board, just for CD. CD from day one has had an overwhelming feeling of "just get it in stores, get it out of the fucking way, and let's move on".

They all know CD has to be released, before the train wheels at reunion station can start moving. I also don't think it's any coincidence that VR have just "given up" looking for a lead singer, and are walking away. Nah, tells me they're keeping their schedule open, and remaining patient.

It's looking more and more like this every day that there's no Better video, no tour announcement, no Rolling Stone interview, etc. As much as I hate to admit it, that's the only scenario that makes any sense at this point.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's looking more and more like this every day that there's no Better video, no tour announcement, no Rolling Stone interview, etc. As much as I hate to admit it, that's the only scenario that makes any sense at this point.

Yes and I'm honestly shocked. This was supposed to be the greatest time. Axl would promote the album, the band would do performances, a video for a song would be played over and over again. Like a normal band does.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's gonna be anything happening this year. Not any interviews. Nothing. Even a tour sounds way off to me now. The album didn't change anything. It's just the same old weirdness going on.

It's such an anti climax. Maybe I buildt the expectation up myself, I thought that once the album was released, things would gear up a bit. Instead no one says shit. It's the most horrible piece of promotional campaigning I've seen! They let the reviewers do the promoting for them and that's not even very good from time to time! Where's Axl, where's Dizzy, where's Tommy, where's anyone that got anything to do with this fucking album and why aren't they saying anything about it?! It looks to me that this release was forced upon Axl for some reason.

No interviews, no video, no tour. This will simply die off before the fuse reached the bomb.

I hope I'm not right.

war

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

sigh

It has nothing to do with the fact of MY opinion of what rock is, and rock ain't.

Are you kidding? AC/DC are a bunch of old farts, recycling the same exact material since High Voltage, and WITH AN EXCLUSIVE, just sold a shit load of albums. A huge opening. #1 almost everywhere.

Metallica did very well.

GN'R struck out. Axl apparently ain't GN'R to the general public.

ughhh

you can't compare gnr to metallica and ac/dc's new releases in response to me comparing new gnr's release to old gnr's releases.

we're talking about two compltetly different times and markets

i was talking about old gnr and new gnr and the differences when the illusions came out.

they did not come out in '02

did you read my last post????

anyways, i will explain it this way

cd was sold only at best buy with little more than a mediocre rock single to showcase it and yet, it is one of the top selling cd's.

now, we can accurately decide that cd sold mainly to people that were already fans since the album hasn't yet been marketed to the mainstream.

so despite what you say about the public not accepting this brand of gnr. the only ones that know the difference are the same people buying the album right now. you can quantify all you want all the people that are boycotting the album because of the lineup but the fact remains, enough old school fans bought the album to get them these decent numbers with little to no promo and little shopping convenience.

we knew they were gonna need mainstream success for this album to reach some of the expectations that you people have decided to attach to it and they haven't yet attempted to grab it.

at this point, axl may be content with letting the album go. i don't know. all i know is that if they want this album to exceed the sales it is doing now they could definitely do a few things differently and with this lineup. selling the album at wal mart, alone, would boost the sales. at the moment, gnr have not made a campaign worthy of the product. i am not making excuses either- i don't really care who gets paid how much, i have my own bills to pay. i just want people to judge the album based on the music. that is a fair thing to ask and right now people aren't even hearing the music.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer