You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

D-Machine wrote:

I am negative only because no record does better than its first week sales. Take a look at the charts. Most albums decline anywhere from 50 to 60 percent 2nd week. So 50 percent of 300k is 150k for CD and then it usually goes down from there

what people don't understand about radio, this day and age especially where more are tuning to satellite radio, radio stations have limited number of spots. They are going to play the most popular stuff to get the most listeners.

if GNR lay an egg with their first 2 singles, radio will not even waste their time with a third single. Thats just the way it went.

look at libertad for example.  She Builds Quick Machines bombed then The Last Fight didn't do anything, so guess what? NOBODY played Get out The Door.

same with CD. Everything is riding on Better. If it sucks and no one likes it, fewer stations are gonna give any other New Gnr Songs airplay thus killing the record.

Axl has to do interviews to get radio stations to play it. Its a give and take business. U give them something, they give u something. Radio aren't gonna keep being ignored and then play the shit out of CD songs.

No one is asking week 2 sales to be higher than week 1. But if the record can hold on and keep selling well for a longer period of time, then it would render the week 1 sales irrelevant.

I actually believe this can happen if the GnR promotion machine gets moving.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

me too
they can't do any worse

so far the song cd is the only song promoting this album

cd is not even close to indicitive of what is on the album

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but what the fuck is the obsession with how much CD sells? It doesn't matter. We have CD, it's not like they can take it away from us.

My fear was never about sales. My fear was we would never get CD at all. We got it. We won. I could give two shits if Axl does a video or an interview or a number 1 album. Maybe I'm used to it because Bucket is so underground, but you don't need any of those things to be a musician these days.

Are we afraid Axl will be dropped by the label or commit suicide from the depression of it all? Neither is likely to happen, but if he were dropped, big whoop. Doesn't change much, if anything.

If CD tanks, again that definition varies to each individual, also nothing is likely to change. Unless GNR tours, we are gonna go back to some sort of silent period and be waiting for demos and unheard leaks.

I'm happy to have CD, and even happier Bucket remains vital to its sound. If you're worrying about all the peripheral shit that people tell you is supposed to happen, then you're just ruining this moment for yourself.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but what the fuck is the obsession with how much CD sells? It doesn't matter. We have CD, it's not like they can take it away from us.

My fear was never about sales. My fear was we would never get CD at all. We got it. We won. I could give two shits if Axl does a video or an interview or a number 1 album. Maybe I'm used to it because Bucket is so underground, but you don't need any of those things to be a musician these days.

Are we afraid Axl will be dropped by the label or commit suicide from the depression of it all? Neither is likely to happen, but if he were dropped, big whoop. Doesn't change much, if anything.

If CD tanks, again that definition varies to each individual, also nothing is likely to change. Unless GNR tours, we are gonna go back to some sort of silent period and be waiting for demos and unheard leaks.

I'm happy to have CD, and even happier Bucket remains vital to its sound. If you're worrying about all the peripheral shit that people tell you is supposed to happen, then you're just ruining this moment for yourself.

here's the obsession. Had CD come outta the gates and dominated the charts everyone and their dog would be proclaiming it a massive hit and the "I told you so's" would be raining down. But as it stands the sales were lukewarm in comparison to what had been expected and hoped for over the years and people are now saying sales don't matter. I don't care one way or the other personally. I'm just a bit annoyed how suddenly sales don't mean shit and every excuse in the book is being used to justify why the sales weren't spectacular when hasd it been the other way aroudn parades would be planned to celebrate Gn'R's chart topping performance. Honestly I don't give a shit whether it sells or not. The album is an average album in my opinion. But when you've got a name like Guns N' Roses attatched to it sales matter. People wanna talk about it. Nobody cares how much The National or City and Colour sells cause they don't know about them and sales can't be expected but  Seriously if U2 puts out an album and only sells 200 000 - 300 000 in the first week it's deemed instant failure. And before anyone says you can't compare U2 to Gn'R, well yes I sure as hell can since from day one on these boards I've argued with people who still think Axl and the Gn'R name carry just as much weight as the name U2 so.......  It's like put your money where your mouth is.   

I just think low sales speaks volumes for a band like Gn'R. It's the public's opinion that's all.  I just don't see the point in not admiting what the public thinks. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it but not aknowledging it reaks of denial. If people on this board love the album great. That's for them to decide. But it's not for them to find every reason imagineable why the public may not  like it other than the music itself. If the reaction witnessed by those on this and other Gn'R boards has been so overly positive(going by what people have said on these boards) where's the sales to prove it?

None of that is direcetd at you Bigbri just a  genreal observation kind of.:haha:

*Disclaimer: The preceding was pure speculation and opinion of gnrevolution forum memebr Bono. The views expressed by Bono are not necessarily shared by this site or any of it's administrators.

killingvector

So, basically you just want the right  to stick it back in other fan's faces? Niiiicce.

Plus you are basing your conclusion on 7 days of sale. Give the album time. If it is indeed a flop, then you will still have a window to gloat after a month or two, but  you are seriously jumping the fucking gun here.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I think you seriously have a reading comprehension problem. At what point did I say I wanna shove it in other fans faces. Get a grip.  yeah the first seven days for a massively anticipated album with a name as big as Guns N' Roses attatche to it. You do the math.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

As usual, I agree with you Bri. Good post. Karma. 22

killingvector

Bono wrote:

At what point did I say I wanna shove it in other fans faces. Get a grip.

I'm just a bit annoyed how suddenly sales don't mean shit and every excuse in the book is being used to justify why the sales weren't spectacular when hasd it been the other way aroudn parades would be planned to celebrate Gn'R's chart topping performance.

since from day one on these boards I've argued with people who still think Axl and the Gn'R name carry just as much weight as the name U2 so.......  It's like put your money where your mouth is.   

Get a grip.  yeah the first seven days for a massively anticipated album with a name as big as Guns N' Roses attatche to it. You do the math

You should do the math too. We have 24 days until Christmas. Still a good amount of time in the shopping season for the album to sell strong over a long period of time.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'd guess CDs sell, I'm just making an educated guess here, a third or quarter of their total sales in week 1. If CD sells 300K, it goes platinum. If it sells 500K, it goes double platinum.

If that is failure is up to others to decide.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

since from day one on these boards I've argued with people who still think Axl and the Gn'R name carry just as much weight as the name U2 so.......  It's like put your money where your mouth is.

I think you arew misconstruing things here...the argument that i remember about U2 vs GnR was in the early 90's and Actung Baby vs Use Your Illusions

and i am still of the opinion that there was no bigger act at that time than GnR including U2...as for present day .... U2 is a bigger act for sure, but they have also released 4 albums and are working on a 5th as we speak, while Axl lay dormant in Malibu....U2 stayed relevant during the late 90's and 00's while gnr faded into obscurity

I also have to ask again what benchmark are we comparing CD to to consider it a failure? The nutswinging fanboys who had their expectations out in outerspace? Gimme a break...debuting 2nd on the charts is pretty damn good for a rock act when there are big names from more popular genres coming out at the same time

Board footer