You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, that's one thought.  I mean, nobody has ever heard of Guns N' Roses, right?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
ShoGunslinger wrote:

It seems that I remember AFD kinda doing much of nothing for almost a year. "Jungle" was only shown late night on MTV and not causing too much of a stir. Suddenly the SCo'M video starts getting heavy rotation on MTV and the album takes off...almost a year later! Chinese Democracy may have the same type of gestation period (like a time released pill, maybe it just hasn't kicked in yet). All I'm sayin' is don't sweat the album sales just yet. Hopefully a video, "Street of Dreams" or "Catcher" could be the Sweet Child o' Mine for CD. If mTV  (lower case "M" because music is the last thing that channel has on it's mind) puts the hypothetical video into rotation who knows? Chinese Democracy in my opinion is a great album and no less than I expected from this great band! The world will know...they just gotta shake the Fall Out Boy, Beyonce', Kanye crap outta their ears!

I think its pretty obvious that Axl has shit-canned Chinese Democracy. Stick a fork in it....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ShoGunslinger
 Rep: 1 

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, that's one thought.  I mean, nobody has ever heard of Guns N' Roses, right?

Well I tell ya, when I went to Best Buy about two weeks prior to the CD release and asked the twenty-something girl at the checkout if there was going to be any special events for the release of Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy cd, I had to repeat the band name twice and get a look from her like, "What band is this that you speak of?" Only the die hards still consider GnR an awesome band. This generation of "music" lovers has no grasp of who GnR are.:buckethead::peace:

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Looks like Uncle Axl said "fuck it" to CD but why I have no idea.  Sadly it does look like he took the Best Buy deal to break even basically.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it finally dawned on Axl, he waited too long.

He knew he had to contractually deliver the album, but emotionally as an artist, he's moved on.

It's sad, I was really looking forward to future albums. But as always, the diehards don't dictate the future. The casuals do. It's reunion or nothing at this point.

The CD era is over.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's sad, I was really looking forward to future albums. But as always, the diehards don't dictate the future. The casuals do. It's reunion or nothing at this point.

The CD era is over.

That's where I've got to disagree.  The potential of the CD era is over, for sure. But I can see Axl taking the rest of the CD era recordings to a smaller label like Road Runner Records and releasing however many records he can... I mean, look at it this way, even at a disappointing 300,000 albums sold in 2 weeks, that's still pretty big for smaller record labels, not to mention the global record sales would also be tempting. That's if he doesn't have another release with Geffen. But seeing his attitude now and past, I don't know why they would want to do anything with him other than dropping his ass from their roster. But the man needs to make money. Its going to be increasingly difficult to tour seeing past turn outs and, again, his attitude, which will/has turned off a lot of the 'heavy' concert promoters. He can get a reunion together, but I seriously see him spiting himself and NOT doing it just because he refuses to "give in." This is Axl we're talking about.

Why he's going about things the way he is with this album is anyones guess. It could be he didn't like the way things were handled with the label taking so long to release it. Or, he could've dropped the album soley to settle a ton of bad debts. Or it could simply be that he truly thought his reputation and name could promote this album alone. Well, in any case, if he thought this album would be a success without promoting it, he was wrong. And for me, I just feel he doesn't care anymore. Like Axlin08 said, he knows he blew his chance and he's moved on.

He still has enough material to release records. And there are a lot of smaller labels who would be drooling to get Guns N' Roses on their rosters. But what we had hoped for from the CD era is gone.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

The CD era is over.

That's where I've got to disagree.  The potential of the CD era is over, for sure. But I can see Axl taking the rest of the CD era recordings to a smaller label like Road Runner Records and releasing however many records he can... I mean, look at it this way, even at a disappointing 300,000 albums sold in 2 weeks, that's still pretty big for smaller record labels, not to mention the global record sales would also be tempting.

No need for Axl to go to Roadrunner, I don't see why Universal wouldn't release the other CD albums, if there is any. I mean they finished funding it 5 years ago. If Axl owes them more album, they will unlikely give him more money, or only a very limited amount, much less than they give for a casual album. Close to zero investment from the label, yet they can sell some 100,000 copies of the remaining albums through Best Buy (with a lower pre-order number). If there is no exlusive deal, then they can still ship the same number through various retailers and don't have to spend much to te promotion, since die-hards will buy those albums, too. Well, nobody will buy 30 copies, but the CD2 and CD3 albums can sell some 100,000 copies, anyway.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I thought GnR were done with their commitment to UMG, just by a simple album count.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't know. But Universal won't let them go with albums recorded for their money.

Board footer