You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: The Gloves are off, I have to know.....

Olorin wrote:

What about the bass on this record? I can only really notice Tommy on the outro of TWAT. He is either drowned out or just absent on almost the entire album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

What about the bass on this record? I can only really notice Tommy on the outro of TWAT. He is either drowned out or just absent on almost the entire album.

Tommy is more prominent on the 2008 leaks. He has a killer bass tone on IRS, but Axl apparently wanted mindless wanking to drown it out on the finished product.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Tommy is more prominent on the 2008 leaks. He has a killer bass tone on IRS, but Axl apparently wanted mindless wanking to drown it out on the finished product.

i dig the bass groove in if the world, too. he's also pretty good in street of dreams and catcher but when the songs get heavier he seems to just stick to the basic.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Tommy's bass is killer in the leaks. It was what made Chinese Democracy (the song) cool. And Axl ruined it.

Really, if CD was produced by Bob Ezrin it really would have been a masterpiece. He knows when to use polish and sandpaper and he KNOWS how to layer a song. Fuck it, I was just starting to come around and now I'm getting pissed again.:flame:

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I love "This I Love". In fact, its probably my favorite song on the album. The solo is good, but not great though. Sure, Slash would have owned it, but it wasn't going to happen, so there is really no use is harping on it.

I think most of the guitar work is great as well. I love BBF's solo in "Shacklers", his additions in "CD", Bucket's work in "Better", "If The World", "Prostitute", and so on. I do wish they would have kept Bucket's solo in "Riad" though. But I'll definatly give the guitar work two thumbs up!

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yeah I loved the bass in the demo of CD, that along with the drumming gave it a really cool groove. Axl singing in the deep voice also made it what it was.

I agree the bass is ok on SOD, but overall I was not only disapointed, but suprised at how little he stands out on the finished album. I dug the ITW demo and he owned that. What I cant bare is the pitman techno bassline farting along on the album version. Killed that song comp-letely for me.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

the guitar in Better before and during the "I never wanted you to be..." highlights what this album is missing more than anything. that guitar just sounds like shit. it's thin and weak and kills what could have been the greatest moment on the album since there's so much power and emotion in Axl's voice.

as for TIL, i love the solo. it fits the song great. what hurts the song for me is when the drums kick in. i would have left all that out.

Sky Dog wrote:

The bass is heavy as hell in Catcher...listen on a nice set of stereo speakers.
...and I hate the nu-metal breakdown in the middle of Better (don't like Axl's voice or the crappy generic guitar riffs):headbang:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

love the bass in catcher prolly tommy's highlight of the album

i love the 1st half of the TIL solo, robins wheels fall off in the second half

Board footer