You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: What does your crystal ball see in the future for the Gunners?

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

A re-release only has a chance with a 2nd disc full of new material.

Well that ain't happenin. 

That would be more like a "new" release wouldn't it?

Only reason it aint happening is because its GNR. Other artists release bonus content all the time. M.I.A. rereleased Kala last year with a holographic cover and a 2nd disc which contained a few unreleased tracks and remixes.

Hell, even VR added a bonus disc of covers to Contraband and that album was still selling like hotcakes. They didn't even need a new version in stores. They simply did it for fans.

Exactly. A re-release with no bonus material, would just go to show typical Axl-isms, and how he's stuck in the UYI-era of doing things. Problem is, times have changed on how you release records, and he also doesn't have a Slash & Duff there to do all his interviews for him.

It wouldn't include much, and it also wouldn't take much. A re-release with Axl's preferred artwork inside and out, the original album as released on Disc 1, and Disc 2 is filled with not remixes, but alternate/earlier takes on the songs on the album (such as the Bucket-only stuff), the Oh My God remix, a few other tracks originally intended for CD but scrapped, and maybe some of the best remixes from the AFD re-record (not all) thrown in for good measure.

You're not really blowing your load, and you're catering your re-release directly to the people that will buy it. He does that, and the fans would cream all over it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

A re-release only has a chance with a 2nd disc full of new material.

Well that ain't happenin. 

That would be more like a "new" release wouldn't it?

Only reason it aint happening is because its GNR. Other artists release bonus content all the time. M.I.A. rereleased Kala last year with a holographic cover and a 2nd disc which contained a few unreleased tracks and remixes.

Hell, even VR added a bonus disc of covers to Contraband and that album was still selling like hotcakes. They didn't even need a new version in stores. They simply did it for fans.

He didn't say they should release a few bonus tracks, he said they should release a 2nd disc FULL OF NEW MATERIAL.  Now maybe I misinterpreted it, but I took that to mean a disc of average length (60 minutes or so).  Maybe the M.I.A. disc was that full, it just seems a little much to ask.

I just read Axlin's post.  You're still talking about a FULL 2nd disc with all those bonus tracks.  Now I realize this album took 10 years to make and there's plenty of material out there to fill a 2nd disc, but I certainly don't think that's the norm for most artists.  Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be, just seems like your setting the expectation bar way too high.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I did say that, and I stand by that.

What i'm referring to is CD charting with something and releasing other singles off the 2nd disc. Would it be a new release? Yes.

A re-release with B-sides, cuts, and alternate takes isn't going to do more than bring back about some odd thousands of people, GN'R nuts, to double-dip for the re-release. That's all the release is catered to.

If Azoff wants to use the re-release to bring it back from the grave, the ONLY way to pull that within 5% chance of happening, would be an all-new disc with all-new material thrown in.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Why would they need a re release though if they had a 2nd disc of brand new material?  Just roll with the new stuff.  IF people like that maybe they'll (re)discover Chinese Democracy. 

Some very cool ideas, don't get me wrong.  I'm just expecting as little as possible, and I'm sure you could understand why.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh I completely understand.

But understand, the Chinese Democracy name, no matter how much of a joke, is still - Chinese Democracy. An established brand name, that Azoff might still see fit for milking, unlike Axl & UMG.

I personally feel Axl doesn't need to give it up, he needs to just prep the second album. Fuck CD, it's a pain in the goddamn ass, he cleared the debt, forget it, get his band together, put together the next album, and MOVE ON.

The 16 fans that want to hear Prostitute live, can get over it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

gnr has never been a b-side or bonus track kinda band....you should be first to know that aussie...in all of gnr's releases how many b-sdes do they have? maybe a half dozen ?

Almost every single contained B sides, some(KOHD at the Marquee, LALD 91 VMA's, Don't Cry Demo, etc.) that couldn't be found anywhere else. Some of those singles contained nothing extra, and I doubt it was a coincidence that those singles didn't sell.

Also, CD is the band's first album in the 21st century, where bonus content is even more important.

shadow of your love (A studio and  live cut) and whole lotta rosie (live) were the only tracks to ever be unreleased that were found on a cd single by gnr (and one is an AC/DC cover)

there were also live and alt mix cuts of wttj, scom, ise, move to the city, yesterdays, kohd, lald and yesterdays...but to me personally live cuts dont really equal b-sides

gnr have ever really only finished the material that you hear on the albums, I would not hold my breath for bonus tracks on a rerelease

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

gnr has never been a b-side or bonus track kinda band....you should be first to know that aussie...in all of gnr's releases how many b-sdes do they have? maybe a half dozen ?

Almost every single contained B sides, some(KOHD at the Marquee, LALD 91 VMA's, Don't Cry Demo, etc.) that couldn't be found anywhere else. Some of those singles contained nothing extra, and I doubt it was a coincidence that those singles didn't sell.

Also, CD is the band's first album in the 21st century, where bonus content is even more important.

shadow of your love (A studio and  live cut) and whole lotta rosie (live) were the only tracks to ever be unreleased that were found on a cd single by gnr (and one is an AC/DC cover)

there were also live and alt mix cuts of wttj, scom, ise, move to the city, yesterdays, kohd, lald and yesterdays...but to me personally live cuts dont really equal b-sides

gnr have ever really only finished the material that you hear on the albums, I would not hold my breath for bonus tracks on a rerelease

Hrm...welll....I would hope after, what, 14 years? that they would have a few songs finished that they could release.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah, as Dennis Green would say "THE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!"

I wouldn't expect GNR to completely change the way they've done things over their history and open up the vaults all of a sudden.  I don't expect anything different with a re-release except for the booklet.  And if one does happen I'd expect it to happen very quietly, no promotional blitz.  It'll just drop into Best Buy one day.  Maybe they'll post something on the website, but that's about it.  The point would be to get the "proper" booklet out there, not to all of a sudden try to win everybody over to see the genius in Chinese Democracy.  If that hasn't happened by now I don't think it'll ever happen.  If they ever decide to tour, MAYBE we'll see some press, interviews, etc.  But until then I expect much more of the same, silence.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I see Axl applying for and losing out the lead singer position in Velvet Revolver to Sebastion Bach...which in turn starts a whole series of drama laced incidents in which Axl shows up on stage uninvited to sing "18 and a life to go."

When this doesn't work, Axl will gather up all former scattered members of GN'R including 'Popcorn, Gilby Clarke, Traci Gunns, and Richard Fortus (of course!).

This encarnation of Guns N' Roses will create, dissolve, and and recreate more times than there are months in the year.

Yep...that's what's going to happen...

ShoGunslinger
 Rep: 1 

I see Axl replacing himself with another singer while maintaining total creative control of the band and the music. Of course the never ending OCD search for the perfect band members would continue as Axl would not be able to find bandmates that synched perfectly to his universe...oh yeah, the band would still be called Guns N' Roses and we would get comments from Axl that this was really his ultimate vision for the direction that Gn'R was meant for;the world's first never- ending,constantly-evolving, rock n' roll concept circus!

Board footer