You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Von wrote:

Of course they are, and very few other films this past year deserve the accolades I hope The Dark Knight reaps by hitting the refresh button.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Blu-ray all the way. smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I was going to get the Blu-Ray, but it's basically dying as a format.

No reason to start buying discs now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Is bluray dying? I havn't been reading any home theatre goss in a while. Shame cos it kicks ass compared to dvd.

TDK is an awesome film. I never made it to imax last time so i might give this another look in if it happens over here too.

Von

Von wrote:

Blu-ray is actually experiencing a far warmer welcome by an already more tech savvy consumer market than DVD experienced throughout the same time period of its launch a decade ago. Its not only not dying, the format has a heretofore unseen push by the major studios who have dumped so much money and effort into its becoming the next defacto video format they've basically (and prematurely) pulled the plug on their own DVD brands to usher in, by force, this new format. So far, consumers have acclimated nicely. The further push into HD becoming more mainstream accessible will only see growth for blu-ray. Is this a good thing? Not necessarily. As a blu-ray collector, I'd be just as pleased to see the SD DVD format survive for the foreseeable future with blu-ray acting to serious film aficionados the way laserdisc acted next to VHS. Things have grown faster than I originally anticipated.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I was going to get the Blu-Ray, but it's basically dying as a format.

No reason to start buying discs now.

Dying? LMFAO, yeah right. It's ahead of the pace that DVD was at during the same timeframe, and unlike DVD, it had a format war to deal with.

And by the way, I've heard the DVD for TDK looks like crap. Lots of digital artifacts. Possibly some planned obsolescence going on. The BDA talked about that a couple of years ago when it was first formed. And besides, why pay $20 for a crappy standard def version of the movie? That seems to be the biggest rip-off of all right now. As long as the PS3 is around, Blu-ray will also be around. In other words, it won't ever die because Sony literally cannot allow their gaming division to fail and they won't.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Umm okay. I was just reading alot of industry-insider articles that were calling it the new Laserdisc (not a good thing).

The discs are highly priced, most are opting for SD-DVD's over BR-DVD's, and it wasn't taking off like they thought. Couple that with the fact the PS3 has been disappointing for Sony, a consistent #3 behind Wii & 360.

I still ain't ready to make the move. I'll still take a $15 regular DVD, over a $35 Blu-Ray. If it stays strong, I might double-dip one day when the Blu Ray's are a little less expensive. I'm gonna need them no more than $20 bucks, preferrably $15.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Umm okay. I was just reading alot of industry-insider articles that were calling it the new Laserdisc (not a good thing).

The discs are highly priced, most are opting for SD-DVD's over BR-DVD's, and it wasn't taking off like they thought. Couple that with the fact the PS3 has been disappointing for Sony, a consistent #3 behind Wii & 360.

I still ain't ready to make the move. I'll still take a $15 regular DVD, over a $35 Blu-Ray. If it stays strong, I might double-dip one day when the Blu Ray's are a little less expensive. I'm gonna need them no more than $20 bucks, preferrably $15.

If you pay attention to the prices you'd realize they're nowhere near as bad as you think. Amazon.com has much better deals than the likes of Wal-Mart and Best Buy. And guess what, even Best Buy is starting to get much better on new releases. I pre-ordered TDK for $23.99 from them. You do realize this price is equivalent to what a 2-disc DVD usually costs, right? Amazon has it for $23.99 vs. $20.99 for the 2-disc DVD. You're getting a hell of a lot more for your money with the Blu-ray than with the DVD, which features a shittier main product as well as less special features. $3 is peanuts when you're already shelling out $20 for a movie. If Blu-ray is so dead, the TDK Blu would not be outselling its DVD counterparts on Amazon.

The real problem with Blu-ray prices is on older movies. When you go to Wal-Mart and Best Buy, they will have a movie like Underworld for $5 on DVD and $25 on Blu-ray. That is where their problem lies. But on new releases like TDK, as I said, if you are smart you can easily find a great deal on them. I got Kung Fu Panda for $22.99 from Best Buy. But the problem is, the very next week the stores jack the prices back up. Amazon is the only one that tries to keep fair prices for the consumer.

Von

Von wrote:

The number of blu-rays currently available at under $20 is staggering. You just have to look. These launch prices are still easily half what the common price of SD DVD was around its launch. I rode that trend and remember it well. Walmart prices new blu releases about the same as the title on DVD. I don't know where you're reading these articles, but I write them for a living. Blu-ray is experiencing unprecedented growth as a format. There is a concern that with the current economy that growth will plateau, but good news for consumers is that the price of players is coming down while there availability and market awareness is spiking. PS3 isn't the only outlet for this technology, although it's preferred by most (myself included). Like I said, whether you like it or not, the studios are pulling the plug on SD DVD early to usher in this new product. People buy what they're told. They don't buy the previous model of any other electronics software "just because," so why should home video be any different?  There's a laserdisc angle, I get that. That's how I would have preferred this format marketed itself. That's not the case any longer. The studios want SD DVD gone, and the marketing campaigns of any current or upcoming releases should be proof of that.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

The number of blu-rays currently available at under $20 is staggering. You just have to look. These launch prices are still easily half what the common price of SD DVD was around its launch. I rode that trend and remember it well. Walmart prices new blu releases about the same as the title on DVD. I don't know where you're reading these articles, but I write them for a living. Blu-ray is experiencing unprecedented growth as a format. There is a concern that with the current economy that growth will plateau, but good news for consumers is that the price of players is coming down while there availability and market awareness is spiking. PS3 isn't the only outlet for this technology, although it's preferred by most (myself included). Like I said, whether you like it or not, the studios are pulling the plug on SD DVD early to usher in this new product. People buy what they're told. They don't buy the previous model of any other electronics software "just because," so why should home video be any different?  There's a laserdisc angle, I get that. That's how I would have preferred this format marketed itself. That's not the case any longer. The studios want SD DVD gone, and the marketing campaigns of any current or upcoming releases should be proof of that.

Bottom line is it would be embarrassing as shit for the studios to still be peddling a product that is inferior to basic TV broadcasts. That's what it all comes down to. DVD was always better than a standard TV broadcast. They were both standard def, but DVD provided a constant bitrate and progressive scan (480p) instead of interlaced (480i). But now, the government is forcing over the air broadcasts to go digital starting in February 2009. This means that every local CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. station will likely be broadcasting in high def. That would be embarrassing as shit for the movie companies to have something that didn't look anywhere near as good as the basic shit people could get over their antenna.

I have a PS3 and don't even use it for gaming. I use it for Blu-ray and as a media center. It's pretty cool to be able to put high def trailers on there and watch them whenever I want (such as the TDK ones) or any other video for that matter. The media center aspect is very cool. It's what separates the PS3 from the other players, as well as the fact that it loads discs quicker and has a much stronger processor.

Board footer