You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Fan made UYI Tour Documentary

Axlin16 wrote:

I watched this all the way through, and like the others I enjoyed the footage more than anything else. I got a few old-fashioned laughs, and tons of melancholy watching all this old GN'R footage from back in the day that it had been years since I really had sat down and watched it. I also saw the state of mind Axl was in then, just through his eyes more than anything, and you could see by 1992 especially, he wanted to be anywhere else on the planet than on a stage. The fact Axl basically said he shouldn't have been touring then, just confirms it looking back. His head was just as fractured and he was just as dillusioned with it all, no different than Kurt ended up being a couple years later.

Looking back over this footage, of Axl mentally, Duff physically, and Slash addictively... wow. It's still amazing that all of these guys are still alive today. Even with Izzy & Steven gone, it's a goddamn miracle that ALL of them weren't dead in some way, shape, or form by 1994/95.

And yes, just seeing this footage, hopefully one day "Perfect Crime" will see the light of day. Same with Chinese, in a Classic Albums form.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Bands like that don't come around often....  Was awesome to watch.  Glad you enjoyed Axlin12, you probably got a glimpse of what the reunionists remember when they clamor for a reunion.  I guess I am one, I just want to see that magic one more time.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I certainly would like to see that band once in my lifetime on a stage. Even if it was the 1991 version (my personal favorite), sans Steven. I'd love to see it.

But again, that REALIST side of me goes... do I wanna? It can't be 1991 again, or 1988... time moves on. The only way I want to see it, is if new music ala King Animal/Long Road Out of Eden was planned.

At the same time, I don't want to see Axl continue to tour his nostalgia act he has now, without plans to carry on a studio career.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I certainly would like to see that band once in my lifetime on a stage. Even if it was the 1991 version (my personal favorite), sans Steven. I'd love to see it.

I don't want a reunion. I want another rock band to come along with similar electricity, rawness, attitude, and musical talent. There simply hasn't been one like that in the last 20 years. Rock and roll is dead and it's a very sad thing.

I've been listening to podcasts of GN'R lately and it's very cool to hear fans who were around back then talk about what it was like when GN'R came out of nowhere and took over the music world. It's a fucking miracle it even happened. The deck was stacked against these guys at their label and at MTV in the early days. Tom Zutaut really did play a crucial role in making sure this band's legacy didn't die before it even got started.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I don't want a reunion. I want another rock band to come along with similar electricity, rawness, attitude, and musical talent. There simply hasn't been one like that in the last 20 years. Rock and roll is dead and it's a very sad thing.

I've been listening to podcasts of GN'R lately and it's very cool to hear fans who were around back then talk about what it was like when GN'R came out of nowhere and took over the music world. It's a fucking miracle it even happened. The deck was stacked against these guys at their label and at MTV in the early days. Tom Zutaut really did play a crucial role in making sure this band's legacy didn't die before it even got started.

It was quite the time. I lived through it. Nothing like it since. It was basically an underdog story, rebels against everything that existed. GNR cracked the door that Nirvana tore off the hinges. Nothing was the same after "Jungle" took off.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

At their height I was 7 when appetite came out and 14 at when they did their final show. I was hooked all in the first time I saw the PC video on the outro when the crowd is going fucking nuts. Best American hard rock band EVER!!

Board footer