You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: The Chinese Democracy Sequel References Thread

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Axl wrote:

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

we need to hear this fucking song. chrismas card of unadulterated venom?  axl sure has a way of hyping his shit up. he should have been a wrestling promoter. could have given mcmahon a run for his money!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What is he talking about there? "Soul Monster"??

Sounds like something I'd love to hear....love the emotion Axl gets into his work.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The only song from the Chinese era that Axl ever seemed to show a special interest in was "Better".

I think he knew that would sell the album and was really proud of it.

It's interesting that despite being tightlipped about CD II, he's sprinkled in multiple mentions of "Soul Monster".

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The only song from the Chinese era that Axl ever seemed to show a special interest in was "Better".

The Blues, too, I'd argue.

One can imagine him mulling over his relationship to Stephanie Seymour in the lyrics.

And Xmas 06 seems like a good guess for the Soul Monster vocals. Obviously, until anyone in the know confirms or denies, we guess. smile

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I think he knew that would sell the album and was really proud of it.

It's interesting that despite being tightlipped about CD II, he's sprinkled in multiple mentions of "Soul Monster".

yeah, better was clearly the of the favorite of the album. correct me if i'm wrong, but better was the only song that we ever heard anything about in terms of a music video. we eventually saw the "final" product (axl would call it a demo, i'm sure), but it was an absolute disaster. totally amateur. there's fanmade vids on youtube for chinese democracy songs that absolute crush that nonsense.

it's crazy that a creative visionary like axl didn't have a whole plan for that video. especially with all the storytelling in that song. the best they could come up with is some live footage, backstage shots and introducing the 18 people who have been in the band? the only thing interesting in that whole debacle was the lil red devil guy.

was axl ever asked about music videos during any of the chats?

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Maybe he did.

He said soon was the word with the Better video release in the chats but that’s it. You get what you outsource to Fernando’s friends.

There was a supposedly commissioned Catcher music video that was basically stock footage of someone’s kid in LA.

There was a unreleased Sorry music video but didn’t feature the band.

Some cancelled tour documentary doohickey in the Ashba era.

Mickey Rourke would’ve played The Shackler if a Shacklers revenge video were made.

The Sorry one was an improvement but still not greatly impressive.

Axl had his ass kissed for 20 years and also the record company refused to furnish funds for promotion. Not a good creative promotional combo. Then Ashba Creations took over.

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

There was a supposedly commissioned Catcher music video that was basically stock footage of someone’s kid in LA.

There was a unreleased Sorry music video but didn’t feature the band.

never heard about those. was that all rumor and innuendo? any links to more info?

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

never heard about those. was that all rumor and innuendo? any links to more info?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-7XhwncxP8

The story is in the description.

DacB830.png
L42IjkHr.png
4nEflPl.png

The 2010 DVD. Not bad. Levels need work. Needs a new title card. But not bad.

lTEA4dx.png
lTWZEuN.png
kfaDFAs.png

Sorry music video. Pretty creative, solid production values.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

So here's something I've never seen confirmed: Was the early, alternate LP title 2,000 Intentions ever mentioned by an identified source in or close to the band, or only ever one of the rumors that Kerrang mentioned? This has always puzzled me, and I've never seen confirmation that it came from within the GNR camp. If so, where was it published and who said it?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Interesting question. I'm not sure 2,000 Intentions was ever stated by an 'official'. If so, was likely pre-OMG release days. Axl did very little interviews back then, I think even the RS article was just an expose, never actually interviewed him. But that article could be worth a check.

Hopefully someone who was posting back then can comment.

Board footer