You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: The Chinese Democracy Sequel References Thread

ClaudeF wrote:

When The Spaghetti Incident came out, I instantly understood it to be a placeholder between albums, an attempt to keep the band in the public eye in the same manner as Lies.

In theory it should have worked, but it came across as disjointed, which of course it was, with each member having his own tastes and working independently to some extent. If only they had taken the same path as The Rolling Stones with their Blue and Lonesome album: Bunch of guys in the studio, face to face, cranking out tunes they loved. Instead, it sounds like a mixtape assembled at random by people who didn't know each other.

When the secret track was revealed to be a Charlie Manson song, the album was instantly blacklisted in some quarters. "Since I Don't Have You" comes across as a parody more than an inspired cover, and the video did the song no favors.

Rock radio promptly acted like the record never existed and still looked to GNR as a sort of savior (at least when the next "proper" studio album came out), but the general public started to turn away. Could you blame them? Buying GNR stuff at record stores and record shows in the mid-1990s and on eBay in the late 1990s was bargain city. I also remember framed plaques of UYI-era tour backstage passes and tickets getting drastically marked down at mall stores like Hot Topic (I didn't buy any - they looked terrible).

If anything, the record is a precursor to the solo albums by Slash and Duff that were to follow, and a harbinger of the split that would occur.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

GN'R is two parts rock band, one part pop band.

TSI was a miscalculation because it really serves neither. Lies served both and moved them forward.

They had peaked. Nothing was ever going to bring back their peak. It was adapt or die time.

I want to hear Axl talk about CD in depth because the Loder interview is with a lucid guy who perfectly elucidated the problem.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

When The Spaghetti Incident came out, I instantly understood it to be a placeholder between albums, an attempt to keep the band in the public eye in the same manner as Lies.

Yep....label expected a repeat of Lies. What they seemed to forget is instead of a placeholder in the midst of the AFD juggernaut they released a cover album after the bloated magnum opus had been milked of singles during the grunge wave.

They also didn't promote it. Lies was promoted.

When the secret track was revealed to be a Charlie Manson song, the album was instantly blacklisted in some quarters.

Hindsight tells us this was a huge mistake. It seemed cool when I was 18. It wasn't. It was done to create controversy and I like GNR when everyone else is creating the controversy.

Its also not a GNR song. Its Axl and his gardener. Save that for a soundtrack or something.

If anything, the record is a precursor to the solo albums by Slash and Duff that were to follow, and a harbinger of the split that would occur.

I said it years ago...half of TSI feels like a Duff covers album mixed in with a GNR covers album. There's no method to the madness. One thing that bothered me back then were the "band" pics. Its just random pics and Axl's pic isn't of Axl. Its his shoes. It's a sign. It wasn't being taken seriously although if I ever got to talk to Axl I'd thank him for pressuring Slash to sing Buick Makane.

The moment Izzy bailed these sessions should've been scrapped completely or go in and rerecord it all. Instead, they simply remove Izzy and add Gilby into the mix. Half this album was recorded during the UYI sessions. Had Sorum been fired, they would've just edited him out and included the new guy.

Like you said this project was a sign of things to come.

I wish we could get a 25th anniversary edition with the unreleased tracks. We might complain about it but this album does have some strong covers and it sounds amazing. Human Being turned up to 11 is a jam for the ages.

I want to hear Axl talk about CD

I want to hear Axl talk about 1994 in depth because that is when the CD saga really began. It just didn't have a name yet.

PublicEnemy
 Rep: 1 

PublicEnemy wrote:

I read a rumor a few months ago that Seven is an industrial ballad.

I just want to someday listen to the rest of the material Buckethead recorded during his time in the band, since nothing else was recorded from 2009 to 2014.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
PublicEnemy wrote:

I read a rumor a few months ago that Seven is an industrial ballad.

Brain wrote:

Q: [...] I am very excited about Seven. Can you tell us anything about this song? Is it a rocker?
A: ITS AN TIMELESS BALLAD WITH A BLOW YOUR FACE OFF CHORUS AND A SUCK YOUR BALL SACK BRIDGE!!!!! (Brain Mantia, Appetite for Discussion, Aug. 18, 2010)

Who knows, though.

I've always wondered if it was influenced by David Fincher's Se7en.

PublicEnemy wrote:

I just want to someday listen to the rest of the material Buckethead recorded during his time in the band, since nothing else was recorded from 2009 to 2014.

Me too, friend. Me too.

It'd be kind of funny / sad if it were just a stockpile of solos and crack spackle riffs.

kermit the Trump wrote:

I want to hear Axl talk about 1994 in depth because that is when the CD saga really began. It just didn't have a name yet.

I dunno, this seems a stretch.

I'd label 95-97 the warring states period preceding the Chinese Democracy myself.

If I'm betting, I'd place my chips on the songs coming before the Chinese Democracy ironic metaphor and Axl fitting them into that vision.

He expressed interest doing an AFD 2.0 record and then lost Slash and probably was like, eh fuck it then.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
PublicEnemy wrote:

since nothing else was recorded from 2009 to 2014.

Do we know that for sure? Dj and Richard made several noises about working on stuff in that period.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
PublicEnemy wrote:

Do we know that for sure? Dj and Richard made several noises about working on stuff in that period.

We don't know.

Tommy mentioned 22 songs in 2011.

CD had 14 so 14+22 = 36 songs. Axl said they were working on 32 songs in 2006 so that means they wrote/finished 4 songs between 2006 and 2011. At that pace, they added 2-3 songs on top of that between 2012-2014. Pure speculation and guess work, of course.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:

well we know dj wrote for guns, so who knows what was done between 2009 and 2014. I'm going to continue to take the "don't hold your breath" approach and hope I'm pleasantly surprised by a new album at some point in the future.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I dunno, this seems a stretch.

Really?

Band members fired willy nilly, band members brought in willy nilly, uninspired studio sessions, miscalculations, opening round of the silent era...

Sounds like the birth pangs of Chinese Democracy to me.  16

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
PublicEnemy wrote:

We don't know.

I've argued some stuff has been recorded, here and here.

This is based on band members (Fortus & Pitman) hinting they've been into the studio w/ Axl on and off. Ignore Ashba and Ron, they were out of that loop on a permanent basis - just touring guys.

Board footer