You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

Samantha Bee calls Ivanka a cunt on her show, everyone apologizes, no one fired. Double standard.

I don't think she should be fired, btw. Like Roseanne shouldn't have been. Let them grovel and apologize, no need to destroy them.

And if Morgan Freeman is being attacked for making crass jokes and calling a pregnant reporter "ripe" then #MeToo has officially jumped the shark.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You wanna talk about feel good nonsense? Then let's talk about these new tariffs...

I can't wait for the knuckle dragger reactions....

Yeah its bullshit ... tariffs for canadian metal ... nice

This fucking guy is using his business strong arm tactics to try and negotiate a global trade deal

Canada and America are so intertwined with building and auto industries i just dont understand the backwards logic...what is this the 60s?

Now canada has implemented counter tariffs...good luck getting whiskey, beer, maple syrup, ketchup and toilet paper bitches!

Lol

EU and Mexico expected to retaliate with tariffs as well

This has to be the dumbest trump move to date

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Samantha Bee calls Ivanka a cunt on her show, everyone apologizes, no one fired. Double standard.

I don't think she should be fired, btw. Like Roseanne shouldn't have been. Let them grovel and apologize, no need to destroy them.

And if Morgan Freeman is being attacked for making crass jokes and calling a pregnant reporter "ripe" then #MeToo has officially jumped the shark.

Ivanka is a terrible First Lady....that much i agree with...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You wanna talk about feel good nonsense? Then let's talk about these new tariffs...

This fucking guy is using his business strong arm tactics to try and negotiate a global trade deal

Canada and America are so intertwined with building and auto industries i just dont understand the backwards logic...what is this the 60s?

Now canada has implemented counter tariffs...good luck getting whiskey, beer, maple syrup, ketchup and toilet paper bitches!

Lol

As usual, there’ll be celebrating by his supporters but no actual assessment of whether it helped or hurt them.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Lol

As usual, there’ll be celebrating by his supporters but no actual assessment of whether it helped or hurt them.

What is your analysis, Mitch?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Lol

It's not really my analysis...it's economic theory and past experiences when this country messed around with tariffs.

1) any increase in pay due to higher demand for American products will be rapidly outpaced by the increase in the costs of goods directly or indirectly impacted by the tariffs.

2) Now, outgoing American products will also experience some sort of tariff because logically other countries will respond with their own tarriffs, Therefore the demand for American made products will go down.

In general, things will just get more expensive. While some sectors may increase employment, it will be nullified by the loss of jobs in a market which a tariff was imposed on an American export.

Herbert Hoover was the last president that I can recall that messed around with tariffs and it actually made the depression exponentially worse.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It's not really my analysis...it's economic theory and past experiences when this country messed around with tariffs.

1) any increase in pay due to higher demand for American products will be rapidly outpaced by the increase in the costs of goods directly or indirectly impacted by the tariffs.

2) Now, outgoing American products will also experience some sort of tariff because logically other countries will respond with their own tarriffs, Therefore the demand for American made products will go down.

In general, things will just get more expensive. While some sectors may increase employment, it will be nullified by the loss of jobs in a market which a tariff was imposed on an American export.

Herbert Hoover was the last president that I can recall that messed around with tariffs and it actually made the depression exponentially worse.

Oh and lastly, aren't we all about the freedoms in this country? Philosophically, aren't we opposed to any policy that would restrict our freedom of choice. In essence, this forces us to buy the inferior American products.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Trump's insane trade war

Maybe Donald Trump really is the Manchurian Candidate, a stooge of some foreign potentate. Much more likely, Trump is just mentally unstable and narcissistic. Whichever it is, Trump is rapidly destroying American global leadership, alliances, and interests. Wednesday's announcement of new tariffs on steel and aluminum exports from Canada, Mexico, and the European Union is the latest bizarre and self-destructive move.

I have just returned from a trip to Europe. Across Europe, there was not a single word of respect for Trump. The constant refrain was extreme puzzlement and deep consternation. How did America fall so far so fast? What do we need to do to survive?

Trump's so-called policies are not really policies. Trade wars are on, off, on hold, on again, within the span of days. Summits are on, canceled, or maybe on. Foreign companies are sanctioned today and rescued the next. He says one day he would like to see overseas troops called home soon, and tells them to stay the next. Global agreements and rules are ripped to shreds. Trump's garbled syntax and disorganized thoughts are impossible to follow.

The US has probably never before had a delusional President, one who speaks gibberish, insults those around him including his closest associates, and baffles the world. By instinct, we strive to make sense of Trump's nonsense, implicitly assuming some hidden strategy.

There is none.

Trump's trade actions are blatantly illegal. They are flimsily justified as an act of national security, but this is sheer nonsense. They are also fatuous in terms of US economic and geopolitical interests. Harming our closest allies, raising the prices on key intermediate products, and provoking retaliation cannot possibly deliver higher wages, better jobs, or an improved trade balance. Trump's latest notion to slap tariffs on German automobiles would be even more damaging geopolitically.

Trump creates chaos for no reason other than his own flagrant inability to follow rules or respect the interests of others. His is a psychopath's trade war. The result will be to undermine the long-term role of the dollar; ratchet up the public debt; and undermine the current expansion through a spiral of protectionist measures and rising uncertainties for business.

Trump's casual threats of a hot war with Iran or North Korea if his various demands are not met are of course even more dangerous.
The real answer to Trump's trade (and other) policies is the 25th Amendment. Trump is unwell and unfit to be President. He is a growing threat to the nation and the world.

The emperor had no clothes.

This President has no sense.

Jeffrey David Sachs is an American economist and director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, where he holds the title of University Professor, the highest rank Columbia bestows on its faculty. He is known as one of the world's leading experts on economic development and the fight against poverty.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'd argue that racism shouldn't be tolerated. Calling somebody a dirty word is hardly the same thing. Roseanne also had a history of racist tweets. ABC? Didn't want the liability of being associated with some crank who posts nasty racist shit in her spare time.

There is no double standard. The free market made the decision inside of two different entities altogether. In one case the network didn't think it was worth terminating their agreement, while the other sought to end it immediately. That's about it.

In the aftermath Fox News ran a segment about how all these Hollywood liberals "get away" with all sorts of naughty things. The usual whataboutism as opposed to taking responsibility for racist behavior.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

MSNBC is putting homophobic racist bigot Joy Reid on a program about "everyday racism." Despite she was never reprimanded for her homophobic slurs and continued race baiting.

Joy Reid is the least intelligent person on any news network I have ever seen. She is also extremely racist.

I'm no fan of her show, or any of those shows, but this is a ridiculous comment. She's highly intelligent, and I've never read anything about her being a racist. A homophobe yes, but racist?

Seems like any black person that dares talk about race is a racist. I watched that evolve during Obama's term. Right wing logic.

Board footer