You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Slash Speaks!

esoterica wrote:

TL;DR:

- No comment
- He's not touching the new music / new GNR material / CD2 topic with a 20 foot pole.
- Solo stuff
- No comment

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … um-710144/

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Shit on Melissa/Axl by saying he liked how Greta Van Fleet just play their asses off with just them and their instruments. Straight up Rock n roll (like the conspirators) not synth shit.

Shits on Greta Van Fleet saying they sound too much like Led Zep

Compliments Frank by saying how he doesn’t play like Adler or Sorum

Says he is a dad by default

Avoided many questions.

Interviewer did his home work and pressed him and even called him out by saying he said something different in book.

Big balls to ask Slash if he was a hired gun or actual band member. Slash said member but no contract or anything (yet he is still in partnership from 1995)

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I liked the interview. I was being a little bit of an asshole. I think he could've pushed him harder though.

It's funny. I read an article about AC/DC the other day and Angus was saying they've been so successful because they stick to their brand.

It's simple, down-to-earth hard rock. That's always been Slash's position about Guns.

I'm not sure I agree but I certainly would prefer it to the joke that is Melissa on 2nd keyboard.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Guns not only could have been the Stones but also a Skynyrd or Allman Bros. Great piano and great guitars yet still rock n roll.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Does anyone else disagree with the article's statement that Slash's first solo album was a "sign of doom" for GNR at the time it was released? To me, it felt like he and Duff were biding their time, waiting for a reunion that just never happened. Not until later did the news break that Axl was working on his own.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Guns not only could have been the Stones but also a Skynyrd or Allman Bros. Great piano and great guitars yet still rock n roll.

I think that's what we wanted them to be. And what their legacy and mythos will be.

But I'm not sure I saw the chops to take it to that place.

Maybe it would've happened two albums down the road.

ClaudeF wrote:

Does anyone else disagree with the article's statement that Slash's first solo album was a "sign of doom" for GNR at the time it was released? To me, it felt like he and Duff were biding their time, waiting for a reunion that just never happened. Not until later did the news break that Axl was working on his own.

Eh, not really.

It was when the seeds of dissension really started to sprout. Not just the differences of opinion regarding direction of the band but Axl and Slash fighting like teenage girls, Slash pulling his songs from Guns and putting them on Snakepit, and the whole nine.

The biding time thing could go either way depending on your perspective / allegiance.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I guess when it’s a cash grab you have to bullshit your way through these interviews.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Yeah at the time Slash was selling it to the media as a project he did to fill in time before they all regrouped for GNR.

In retrospect I guess it does look like why not just make a GNR album then, but I agree at the time it was very much treated as a side project because Slash is a workaholic rather than the end of GNR.

I also didn't really like the question about 5'oclock where he said Axl and Duff rejected the material and does slash now agree with them. Slash kinda avoided it by saying they were just things he worked on rather than ever officially GNR. Aside from the fact that that is not the way it's presented in either his own book or duffs - or Axl's chats - I really didn't like the question - it kinda suggested that 5'oclock is somehow an inferior album out of Slash's solo stuff.

If anything I think time has shown those songs should have been GNR songs...

Myself I think it's one of his best albums, and I absolutely think those riffs if they'd been able to co-operate with Axl to alter the songs would have made a killer AFD-style record. Axl says slash insisted he sing them as is and was given no chance to work on them, Slash says Axl wasn't interested in them and he didn't want to waste another few years tinkering. Probably both true in some way. But in any event...the guitar playing on that album is very GNR.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

The other interview out is much better.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

it kinda suggested that 5'oclock is somehow an inferior album out of Slash's solo stuff.

Which is, objectively, complete bollocks.

ITFOCS features some of Slash's best guitar work. If anything, it's a worthy piece of his discography.

Surely, it has three would-be Guns songs from Slash/Gilby/Matt. Axl would like many enough to further produce them.

Historically, Snakepit mk 1 is also a key moment for Slash, as it was his first time out from Guns. He loved it.

Board footer