You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: The Context of How Old Some of these Tracks Are

Yamcha wrote:
James wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
James wrote:

20 discs of Robin ....

Was wondering when you would knock on the door. 5

Lol. The door was never closed, was it? big_smile

Robin did a very good job. Never thought I would read a post that says 'Robin is God' here... though it's not coming from you, James. 14

He's been getting heaps of praise lately and rightfully so. These rough demos indicate that they really had something special cooking, and that's excluding CD tracks already released.

The instrumentals are out of this world.

I'm still trying to figure out what is what, everything comes up as 'track 1, track 2....' on my computer. I might be missing some stuff too (I don't even know how many songs I am supposed to have and it doesn't help that some songs have several versions. 16).

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's a complete mess on my phone. It's all on there as my computer is down atm

When I get it going again I'm gonna properly title them and also remove stuff. It's all great but I don't need 20 versions of TWAT, Maddy, etc.

Do you have Oklahoma?

James

James wrote:
James wrote:

Do you have Oklahoma?

For the record..

I wasn't asking for Oklahoma. I was asking her if she had it.

Thanks for the PMs to those offering.   9

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:
James wrote:

It's a complete mess on my phone. It's all on there as my computer is down atm

When I get it going again I'm gonna properly title them and also remove stuff. It's all great but I don't need 20 versions of TWAT, Maddy, etc.

Do you have Oklahoma?

Yes, thanks to a gentleman who sent me a file though I hadn't asked for anything. One of the only songs that comes with a name rather than a track number.  A very good song, actually. I wonder what kind of lyrics Axl had in mind for it (if he ever came up with any).

James

James wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

A very good song, actually. I wonder what kind of lyrics Axl had in mind for it (if he ever came up with any).

A very good song? It's a scorcher. If Axl brought his A game lyrically/vocally, it could be one of the best songs in the discography.

Oklahoma/Berlin

Oklahoma was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. 'I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing, [April 20th, 1995]' Rose remembers with a wince. 'We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.'" (Axl, Rolling Stone, 2000

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Btw Velvet Revolver was successful mostly because of the super group label. If they released the same songs with a singer nobody had heard of, no one would give a shit. The intrigue was GnR with a grunge singer.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

And trust me back in 2001/2 I did truly believe Axl could re-do GNR and take over the world. Turns out I was one out of a couple thousand worldwide that thought that. Doesn’t move units. The Best Buy deal was highway robbery.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Btw Velvet Revolver was successful mostly because of the super group label. If they released the same songs with a singer nobody had heard of, no one would give a shit. The intrigue was GnR with a grunge singer.

Yep.

Proof?

The interest it had initially when it was just Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Sorum aka The Project.

Then compare to the interest when Weiland walked through the door.

The prior success of Audioslave also helped. That was Chris Cornell + Rage Against the Machine. Everyone and their Grandma wondered how that would sound. Then here comes Stone Temple Pilots + GNR.

In fairness to VR, they did what was necessary for success. Super catchy 1st monster single followed by a catchy ballad ..both containing epic Slash solos.

FlashFlood wrote:

The Best Buy deal was highway robbery.

Indeed. That deal in and of itself is worthy of a documentary.

AtariLegend wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

The Best Buy deal was highway robbery.

On Best Buy's part yes. It appeared for quite a long time on their site as the number 1 selling album, however hadn't they moved at that point away from selling albums?

Limited the albums availability *to an extent* when cds sales had slowed drastically, didn't promote it, botched the singles release along with the mixed reviews (justified or not, see mixing) and the media portrayal that it was a pop culture joke.

It was a disaster from every angle.

Just listen to how great these rough mixes are, it did not deserve this.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

Some of these songs with new modern sounding riffs would have done well in '99. Zodiac 13, Quick Song, Devious Bastard, Prom Violence, D Tune and Curly Shuffle all are very late '90's sounding. They're edgy rock songs and they're good! Also, very different than anything on CD. This type of album would have done well and is very "in date" with was going on then.

Board footer