You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: When will we hear more vault material?

exoterica wrote:

Place your bets.

Think of all that remains:

- 1995-1997 old Guns sessions
- 1997-1998 Youth / shadow band sessions
- 1998-1999 Rumbo Sean Beavan sessions
- 2001 Village sessions (additional discs not included in Zutaut locker)
- 2002 RTB Village sessions
- 2004 mystery sessions
- 2006 Andy Wallace double album sessions
- 2008 Axl Caram double album sessions
- 2010 CD2 release candidate sessions
- 2014 Axl/Pitman sessions
- Misc. sessions (Oh My God, This I Love)

There’s likely a mountain of discs still out in the wild.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I guess so...

We have the bones of at least the majority of what Axl worked on for a good decade and a bit.

The motherload to some degree has been unleashed - it's mainly variations from here on in concerning that era I'd wager.

Bring on current Guns now I say. This has been a nice palette cleanser with some potential nuggets for future releases to speculate on

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

I feel like these leaks came because people think they are about to lose value. Maybe because Slash and Axl have new material or this stuff is coming out. It could be meant to clear the decks so they move on to their final rock destination.

AtariLegend wrote:

03-04 I'd think is the lottery ticket for fans at the moment. Finished versions of Elvis ect. with Bucket, but before Bumble ect.

Maybe that Andy Wallace album would be good, but anything afterwards just leads to too many layers.

I doubt we get anything from before 99.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Anything is possible. It was mentioned in the Kevin Cogill case that someone purchased a Chinese Democracy promotional/demo album in a record store in San Fransisco before CD was officially released, so I'd imagine there is material out there.

I hope a new album comes out first though, I think that'll put the general significance of any older material to bed.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Place your bets.

- 2004 mystery sessions

I'd believe that some of the sessions are outputted in sets of ideas (I wouldn't say songs). I'd say it's more like this:

Set 1:
- 1995-1998 old Guns sessions + Shadow band contributions

Set 2:
- 1997-1998 Youth + Misc. sessions (Oh My God, This I Love)
- 1998-2001 Rumbo and Village Sessions with Sean Beavan

Set 3:
- 2002-2004 RTB sessions
re-recordings (repaints) and Axl finishing lyrics and melodies for Bucket and Brain songs (The General, all the instrumentals of the locker discs)

Set 4:
- 2004-2007 finishing touches on a possible double album concept. Maybe Fortus songs added.
2008 was much more for tracklisting and negotiations for CD release than anything else.

Set 5:
- 2010-2014 Stay of Execution tracklisting, finishing touches, additional recordings.

Only in between sets 1 and 4 I believe there was any NEW writing involving AXL.
Bumble, Dizzy and Tommy's materials after 2006 were used for their solo efforts. I don't think there's any Ashba material written for GNR that Axl finished/completed. I can see Pitman and Fortus mainly contributing to finish/write interlude pieces after 2007.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
otto wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Place your bets.

- 2004 mystery sessions

I'd believe that some of the sessions are outputted in sets of ideas (I wouldn't say songs). I'd say it's more like this:

Set 1:
- 1995-1998 old Guns sessions + Shadow band contributions

Set 2:
- 1997-1998 Youth + Misc. sessions (Oh My God, This I Love)
- 1998-2001 Rumbo and Village Sessions with Sean Beavan

Set 3:
- 2002-2004 RTB sessions
re-recordings (repaints) and Axl finishing lyrics and melodies for Bucket and Brain songs (The General, all the instrumentals of the locker discs)

Set 4:
- 2004-2007 finishing touches on a possible double album concept. Maybe Fortus songs added.
2008 was much more for tracklisting and negotiations for CD release than anything else.

Set 5:
- 2010-2014 Stay of Execution tracklisting, finishing touches, additional recordings.

Only in between sets 1 and 4 I believe there was any NEW writing involving AXL.
Bumble, Dizzy and Tommy's materials after 2006 were used for their solo efforts. I don't think there's any Ashba material written for GNR that Axl finished/completed. I can see Pitman and Fortus mainly contributing to finish/write interlude pieces after 2007.

And then there's the 2015 > 2019 sessions that I'd bet are comprised of Set 1 + Set 5 songs and ideas.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
otto wrote:

I'd say it's more like this:

Yes, probably accurate.

Beta said the album was done Christmas 2007 and negotiations were on-going throughout 2008 IIRC.

But there’s a marked split between 2006 “finished” songs and the 2007 “finished” songs so I went with the simplification “2008” because it’s easier to remember and still approximately correct.

Anyway, I think these two versions probably have the highest likelihood of leaking due to the trading of hands.

We can only cross our fingers and hope for the best.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

To me it feels like those Oh my God, Silkworms, Going Down leaks and this much bigger leaker either sets up the release of the next album or is closure. The big difference is in 2000 they playing leaked songs. Even Better. Now they aren’t working Hardschool out on stage. I mean this could have been the Terminator movie.

The problem is that Bucket, Finch etc aren’t there anymore, so all these are more like old demos, ideas that are only possibly in the mix for whatever Slash and Duff are cooking up. I kind of hope that there’s a finished CD II but it seems unlikely at this point.

I get these leaks aren’t what they want to put out as an artistic statement but it is kind of closure of the CD era. So it’s not a negative. I don’t think casual fans or fans that never cared about new Guns are really going to be affected by these leaks?I doubt they are playing Crash Diet on a loop or even knew Shadow was an older song. Touring wise it’s all about the hits. I doubt the fans will stop going to shows because some old Bucket demos leaked.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

I won’t have closure personally until I have the 2002 album as intended and a copy of that same album with instrumentals. And This I Love.

I’d love to hear finished Soul Monster, etc. but I fell in love with GNR because of Chinese Democracy and the songs that made the record.

So give me those and I’m happy and I can close this chapter of my life.

Board footer