You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Covid 19

Yeah this is going to get worse I think. Last at least until September.

Italy a country with great universal health care is getting hammered one can only imagine what it will be like in the US if it gets worse, or somewhere else.

Hopefully there’s a vaccine.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah. There's positives, I think I heard Italy's deaths or new cases has gone down for 3 days in a row. NYC the hospitalization 'doubling rate' (days until new visits doubles) has gone from something like 3.5 days, to 4.5 days, to like 7 days, which also shows the lockdowns have had a positive effects. Problem is you can't just open the floodgates anytime soon, because it'll bullet backwards.

Also, when does international travel get back to normal?  Is that like a year away?  Come July we can't just say 'Ok, lets all fly back & forth again'.

I had a mini vacation set for tomorrow cool  Was going to go to Miami for 4 or 5 days. Bye-bye vacation sad

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I had 4 weeks in September/ October, but just took three weeks off next week. As the wedding I was going to is cancelled.

Unfortunately I work in an essential government owned company.

So we aren’t shut down yet. But I think this is going to get worse, so eventually I will be.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Dang, you guys are the most pessimistic people I've met.  The world isn't ending.  Half of the population isn't going to be wiped out.  We'll almost all be fine.  DO everything you can to take care of yourself and there's a good chance you'll emerge from this fine...unless people keep the panic going forever (which is what you seem to be trying to do).

I've never thought of myself as an optimist, so I have to thank you...feels much better on this side of the fence.  As a bonus, suddenly there are a lot more people in favor of closed borders, which is interesting.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Are u referring to me for not going to Miami?  I'd have to be insane to go right now.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Are u referring to me for not going to Miami?  I'd have to be insane to go right now.

No...just the overall theme that this is going to go on for months if not years...I don't see that happening.  It's not that it can't happen, but there's nothing to indicate it will...not at the same level that it is now. I was supposed to go to Reno today and obviously cancelled that.  I have a cruise in Sept planned and have almost zero concerns about that.

It's okay to pay attention and be aware of what's going on; I'm not sure it's healthy to believe this is going to change life as we know it forever.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

No...just the overall theme that this is going to go on for months if not years...I don't see that happening.  It's not that it can't happen, but there's nothing to indicate it will...not at the same level that it is now. I was supposed to go to Reno today and obviously cancelled that.  I have a cruise in Sept planned and have almost zero concerns about that.

It's okay to pay attention and be aware of what's going on; I'm not sure it's healthy to believe this is going to change life as we know it forever.

Exactly, I have a cruise in September too and fully plan on going at this point.  My trip to Boston in May probably won't happen.  I certainly respect the dangers that COVID poses, but also advocate people take reasonable precautions such as not congregating.  When testing capabilities are fully rolled out over the next few weeks, we'll be in a position to slowly resume normalcy and have the ability to isolate those who continue to test positive.  That's the reality, this isn't going away until there's a vaccine and its use is widespread.  If we just blanektly resume life by April, it's going to spread again without any controls in place. 

Western nations can't declare martial law and expect compliance like China did.  People would riot, and our society and behaviors are at a completely different perspective than that of China.  Chinese culture is all about the group or family, while western culture is all about the self.   But if you're under 70 and are healthy, you have minimal reason to fear significant injury from COVID. 

Once this is all over with in 12-18 months, I wonder how much better we will be come flu season, since hopefully more people will get their flu shot and practice good hygiene since it's being drilled into us.  I was reading how in America at least, it was common to spit in public (something incredibly common in China and something their state department warns them about when traveling) prior to the spanish flu.  But education and cultural norms ended that in an attempt to fight the spread of the disease.  So will handshaking be forever forbidden in our lives in the future?

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I view it like this, I think out of abundance of caution, the country will stay shut thru April. IMHO it'll be May when things re-open, possibly mid-May but maybe just till after Memorial Day.  Stores & restaurants as well as service jobs open earlier, but people who are currently telecommuting & working from home will stay out of caution. I think schools are shut down for the summer. Heavy vacations & flying won't happen until mid-Julyish, and be way less than past years. Concerts & baseball the same. Man, MLB did not need this, it'll be hard for them to recover, they've been losing fans & the younger generation each year. Hopefully their playoffs are good.

NFL's opening day might kinda be the bonding moment we all need.

Next winters a fear. I suppose we can monitor how Australia & South Africa as well as far S America do in their winter & if it lingers into Sept Oct in their seasons, or passes. China & Asia as well.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I think those asian style facemasks will be somewhat popular next winter/flu season

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

A 16 year old French girl reportedly passed away today. No detail on whether she had a preexisting condition. Also a 28 year old man passed away due to using Ibuprofen. Please guys avoid using Ibuprofen if you don't feel well. If it turns out you have the virus, your symptoms will worsen and lead to respiratory failure.

Coronavirus: Why Germany has such a low COVID-19 death rate

Germany has had around 200 coronavirus deaths despite having more than 37,000 confirmed cases of the disease.

When comparing how countries around the world are coping with COVID-19, one country immediately stands out.

In Germany, just 0.6% of their confirmed coronavirus cases have so far ended up being fatal - the lowest figure amongst any of the most affected countries.

Continued at link
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- … e-11964051

Board footer