You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Chinese Democracy release date?

Saikin wrote:

I'm not agreeing with you Axlin08. 

We've waited all these years, yes.  It's been built up and built up and built up and built up time and time again, yes.  It's been called everything from 'mind blowing' to 'epic', yes.  That's why this route makes some sense to me.  Put the music out there, and let it do the talking. 

The sheer fact that it's being released is big news.  While GNR might not be promoting it, Best Buy sure as hell will promote the living shit out of it.  That you can bet on.  I think most people are focussing on the GNR promotional aspect of it, and not Best Buy.  Best Buy will promote.  The paperwork on the deal is signed, Axl can't tell them not to promote.  I'm not even sure he can cancel the deal at this point.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Saikin wrote:

The sheer fact that it's being released is big news.

Agreed, but someone has to admit it's being released before it's big news.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Saikin wrote:

The sheer fact that it's being released is big news.

Agreed, but someone has to admit it's being released before it's big news.

True.  Even so, it's already being reported a lot that it's coming out.  Once the announcement comes (either from GNR or Best Buy) then it will be a big deal.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

What I wonder is, "Who's paying who?" I mean, it seems that this deal gives a shitload more benefit to GN'R than Best Buy. GN'R needs all the promotion they can get from a major brand like Best Buy. So Best Buy gets all of the sales in the first week? Meh. I think, if they are paying a lump sum upfront for exclusive retail rights, they are getting the lousier end of that deal. GN'R is going to benefit from this deal more than Best Buy, for sure.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

What I wonder is, "Who's paying who?" I mean, it seems that this deal gives a shitload more benefit to GN'R than Best Buy. GN'R needs all the promotion they can get from a major brand like Best Buy. So Best Buy gets all of the sales in the first week? Meh. I think, if they are paying a lump sum upfront for exclusive retail rights, they are getting the lousier end of that deal. GN'R is going to benefit from this deal more than Best Buy, for sure.

on the surface, yes

but best buy is not looking to make money of the cd

they are looking to sell people like us, that will go in to best buy with the sole purpose of buying it, something more expensive that catches our fancy.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
war wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

on the surface, yes

but best buy is not looking to make money of the cd

they are looking to sell people like us, that will go in to best buy with the sole purpose of buying it, something more expensive that catches our fancy.

LOL. Well, yes it's the same thing Wal-Mart tries to do. I just don't think, after all this time, that GN'R is relevant enough for it to cause some huge mass of people wanting to go there. From GNR's standpoint, though, the release date is perfect. Right in time for Black Friday. Best Buy will have a shitload of people in their store during that time regardless.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gunnermatt2004 wrote:

wouldn't you think that they would allow if the world to appear on the body of lies soundtrack though ? i mean if this is the big push for a late nov release a song played at the end of a major blockbuster only in the credits as a teaser is odd considering its not on the actual soundtrack:headbang:

The reason the song won't be on the soundtrack, or the reason it won't be released as a single or Shackler's wasn't released as a single MAY have something to do with the Best Buy exclusive.  I obviously am just speculating but maybe Best Buy wants to release the beast to the masses before anyone has a chance to purchase 2 songs separately months prior.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But if "this beast" is released under the radar with little to no promotion, not a shock, it'll be a footnote to quite possibly the biggest cluster/mindfuck in the history of rock albums. Why, after all these years, all the battles, all the wait, all the big big big, all the epic-ness of the whole fuckin' thing, all the drama... that this album just drops and within a blink of an eye it's over.

Head scratcher of the century.

Not really when you look at the overall nature of the situation.

Can it live up to the hype? No

Was it worth the wait? No

Can it have sales figured comparable to past albums in the discography? No

Can this lineup chart its own course? No

The album itself is an anomaly. It was recorded by a rotating lineup that had nothing to do with any prior success. The names of these members(minus Tommy and Buckethead) are unknown to Joe and Jill Blow. Anyone trying to market a 2008 version of the band while various 1999-2002 lineups did the bulk of the recording has a clusterfuck waiting to explode.

The ship has sailed on any true relevance in a post 96 era. If Axl wanted to take GNR to new heights, he missed the boat on that back around 2000-02. In 2008, we're gonna get the album we were supposed to get in 2002. Even the so called "new" song was recorded back then(the Bumble additions the exception).

By releasing it under the radar, he is able to make his artistic statement and not alter the legacy of his past accomplishments. It also allows him choices he wouldn't have had he made the mistake of doing a promo blitz. Imagine this album getting massive promotion and then tanking. Career over. Imagine it being a pretty big success and current band members getting quite a bit of recognition. You could pretty much nail the door shut on a reunion.

In my opinion, it'll receive little to no promo(minus Best Buy promo), band members will be almost irrelevant promo wise, and we might see an Axl interview or two.

As far as your comment about this happening in the blink of an eye and then being over, I think its the perfect final chapter to the CD saga. Much ado about nothing.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

James, I couldn't have said it any better... Wow. Much ado about nothing.  Powerful words.  We all became Cyber friends over this thing.  Can we still be friends after album drops?  I hope..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

James, I couldn't have said it any better... Wow. Much ado about nothing.  Powerful words.  We all became Cyber friends over this thing.  Can we still be friends after album drops?  I hope..

Will certainly be interesting to see the state of the communities in a post CD era. The GNR communities have never existed with an album out. The entire duration of the sites, friendships, dramas,etc. has always revolved around the common bond of waiting amongst hardcore fans. The hardcores always sought out the online communities because people we all know in "real life" cannot relate to the situation. Once the album is released, it changes everything.

It provides complete closure. People will react to that closure in varying ways. Some will "move on". Some will stick around. Names you haven't seen in years will pop up, if only for a moment. New people will walk through the door. As GNR and its fanbase enter the post CD era, the communities are going to have to evolve as the change occurs. The split second its released, all the sites enter uncharted waters. The days/months/years of speculating are over. Reality will have arrived, and since its a fanbase that always lived among the clouds of "What If's", "maybe's", "coulds", and "shoulds", nothing is certain except Chinese Democracy.

Board footer