You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought it was shit.  Entirely predictable and they're making these characters super heroes, completely removing the danger that they could die at any minute.  Thousands die taking arrows, but Jon is able to ride through the onslaught without a scratch.  Just like Arya last week suffering incredible abdominal wounds, falling into a cesspool, and then running away 12 hours later.  At least with Dany, there was the weak excuse that Targaryen's are immune to fire.

If Jon doesn't scream at Sansa next week for keeping him in the dark, the show has truly gone off the rails.  I try not to be one those douches who thinks the show has to match the books perfectly.  But when you have amazing plot and story in front of you, and disregard it to make illogical and impossible shit just to keep the mouth breathers entertained for a few moments, you're doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I liked seeing the events transpire as well as anyone.  But Jon Snow is probably the most battle hardened out of any main character still living.  He spends the first part of the show talking tactics, they work in a scene for Sansa to offer no advice other than "watch out for traps.  I know how he thinks, but I can't give you one unique example, but be careful and you should listen to me."  Then as soon as Rickon dies, Jon just forgets his years of battle experience and charges like Leeroy Jenkins.

That was the trap Sansa warned of. Don't do what Ramsay wants you to do and he did it and almost got killed. But that actually woke him up. Rikon getting killed removed Snow from the fog he has been in since he was revived. I am pissed at Sansa too but she knew Snow was just go hard at him and be outsmarted by Ramsay because he had so many more men.

AtariLegend wrote:

I agree.

I think bringing back Rickon/Osha just to kill them and the fact that the show is relying on killing off secondary characters randomly just to meet a quota, numbs people to their deaths. Rickon hasn't even said anything since season 3, they must have issues with the actor.

I know it's different for show fans, but as a reader I was left unsatisfied by Sansa being the one to finish Ramsay. I know it's supposed to be something for her character, after they replaced Jeyne Poole with her for rape shock value. It's just that it isn't really her story, it should be Jon.... even though there's a good chance it's Stannis in the books.

Also book Littlefinger probably would have waited until the Boltons finished of the Starks then charged in and claimed Winterfell for himself. That said book Littlefinger is alot smarter.

Arya's nonsensical character arc last episode and immunity along with show Hound being left in much worse condition than he does in the books (just for a fan service fight scene) and Danny's immunity to fire causes seriously issues when you already have Jon's plot armor and the undead mountain (the later of 2 which are actually important to the story).

Their's no sense of danger for certain characters, but their's no emotional attachment to the characters that are in danger.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Last night was incredible and maybe it got a little too Hollywood but it is hard not to love last night. Sansa is on the verge of being a villian but I think Snow will pull her back in. Looks like he has a talk with her next week about trust.

AtariLegend wrote:

Sansa isn't on the verge of being a villain. The show glorifies violence and most viewers were cheering on Ramsay getting tore to pieces.

Although alot would think the books are ultimately supposed to an anti war story, the show definitely is not.

I don't get though why, they had to go out off their way to tell you in advance that Littlefinger would show up. It would have been so easy not have that Littlefinger scene with Cerseri last season or have his interactions with Sansa this season.

They don't trust the viewers enough, not to understand what's going on unless they telegraph it. See Benjen recap before the season final last season or Brieene randomly talking about killing Stannis.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Sansa isn't on the verge of being a villain. The show glorifies violence and most viewers were cheering on Ramsay getting tore to pieces.

Although alot would think the books are ultimately supposed to an anti war story, the show definitely is not.

Of course she could be... If he vengeance gets the best of her and she doesn't fall in line should could be willing to sacrifice anything or anyone one. She has ice running through her veins. I think Snow will show her she doesn't need to be like that..

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I expect Little Finger to try to get in Sansa's head and divide her and Snow. So Snow tells her they must trust each other and also listen to her and her listen to him and they don't need to let Little Finger interfere with them.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Sansa's story is over.  Regardless of how much the show runners want to shove "Girl power!" down our throats, Sansa will never rule the North.  She needs to have a child to carry on her family and as soon as she marries, her husband becomes the ruler.  I know it's been a while, but look at how useless Cersei was when Robert was alive.  Hell, when Tywin was in King's Landing.  I don't want to say for certain that Littlefinger wants to marry Sansa, but that's how it's looking.  And in that relationship, he will be in charge.

So whether Bran returns or Sansa marries some Northern Lord next season to unite the North, her power wanes.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well I think next episode is going to Winter actually arriving in Westros. I'm just curious what show Littlefinger thinks when he realized that The Others are real.

I know Davos and Lyanna Mormont where convinced, but it's important to remember most of these characters seem to be believers (in contrast to the books) despite never actually seeing The Others. Story wise The Others are basically just a fairy tale to most of these characters, there's no reason to believe they'd be convinced short of seeing the army of the dead marching towards them. Speaking of which, you better burn those corpses Jon soon just incase tongue.

It'd be very easy to let's say have Euron or Sam magically blow a horn and accidentally bring The Wall down next episode. Even Bran accidentally since he's marked by The Others and about to reach it. However would there be anything to suggest anything like this is going to happen other than that their are only 13 episodes left?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought it was shit.  Entirely predictable and they're making these characters super heroes, completely removing the danger that they could die at any minute.  Thousands die taking arrows, but Jon is able to ride through the onslaught without a scratch.  Just like Arya last week suffering incredible abdominal wounds, falling into a cesspool, and then running away 12 hours later.  At least with Dany, there was the weak excuse that Targaryen's are immune to fire.

If Jon doesn't scream at Sansa next week for keeping him in the dark, the show has truly gone off the rails.  I try not to be one those douches who thinks the show has to match the books perfectly.  But when you have amazing plot and story in front of you, and disregard it to make illogical and impossible shit just to keep the mouth breathers entertained for a few moments, you're doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I liked seeing the events transpire as well as anyone.  But Jon Snow is probably the most battle hardened out of any main character still living.  He spends the first part of the show talking tactics, they work in a scene for Sansa to offer no advice other than "watch out for traps.  I know how he thinks, but I can't give you one unique example, but be careful and you should listen to me."  Then as soon as Rickon dies, Jon just forgets his years of battle experience and charges like Leeroy Jenkins.

It's true, she got pissy because he didn't ask her advice, he asks her, and she says she has no idea! I caught that too. The execution of that battle trumped the logic issues for me, but you are absolutely right about that. I don't think its just a death quota, but they're literally ending every storyline they know they're not going to use. The battle had me on the edge of my seat. I just hope there are more giants, because that really bummed me out. Having Sansa smile while Ramsay is being eaten alive was dark, and hinted at more than satisfaction, IMO.

AtariLegend wrote:

Next episode Jon will have to decide what to do with Mel when he finds out she burned Shireen.

It's interesting, because in the books Mel probably burns Shireen to resurrect Jon. Although that major narrative is going to be missing, it's still probably going to spoil the outcome.

If I had to guess, I'd guess

Hidden Text:

Jon would execute Mel. However that's just a guess, no idea.

Board footer