You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

apex-twin wrote:

Sure. But they DID release the album eventually.

Having said that, I believe Tommy's and Axl's claims about Universal being irrational are not completely without merit, considering the general mindset the execs appear to have when dealing with other established artists, the ones that put out albums on a regular basis.

1916 was about the battle of Somme, and Lemmy candidly remarks that in regards to the album sleeve, while the record company put up the effort to include flags of nations involved in WW1, they just happened to forget the French. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Axl aside,

Record companies in general are run by morons who can't be arsed to listen through the albums they are supposed to publish / represent.

Read Lemmy's biography for a rundown on the crap he's had to put up with.

Oh I totally hear you bro. I get that. I know some of the dumbest mother fuckers on the planet are the bean counters in the entertainment industry, especially music. They fucked their own business model years ago, because of no brains and greed.

I just think Axl fucked himself worse. If he hadn't fucked around with them, and even as early as Fall 2008, Uni was STILL ready to give CD a HUGE rollout, Azoff too.

Axl kept fucking around.

So yeah, I totally blame Axl.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl is the Thomas Harris of music. He wrote Silence Of The Lambs. Stephen King said writing was absolute torture for him. He doesn't work well under stress from publishers, agents, etc. and has prolonged battles with writers block, not to mention movie producers, where he was placed in a horrible situation where he was forced to write Hannibal Rising recently. I don't think it's as easy as we think it is for Axl, but that's not taking away any blame from him. I think it's real complicated on an artistic and business level for him. The line about not being able to be creative in the LA Times interview really opened my eyes to that.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but I think you have to take into account (because I deal with this exact thing first hand) that if the world is not there to light a fire under my ass, or there's that we will procrastinate whatever project we're doing and keep missing deadlines forever.

Then again if someone takes the gloves off, and basically just let's them do their own thing, we wouldn't get out of the house except to work 1 year every decade.

Sky Dog wrote:

Happy New Year!

Tuesday, January 10, 2011
Hudson, NY

Happy New Year my Peeps!

I have barely been home a week and it’s already starting to take shape!!!! It’s all good stuff mind you, but I just wasn’t prepared to have it all start so soon. Anyway, there will be much to talk about in the coming days, weeks, and months.

I must say that the last GNR tour was a lot of fun. The camaraderie was the best it’s been in all my 14 years and I think we all went home inspired by the possibilities. I want to say thank you to all of you who came out to the shows, especially those who came to more than one. It means a lot to us.

Much love and success to all of you in 2012. Stay tuned for more.

t

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

must say that the last GNR tour was a lot of fun. The camaraderie was the best it’s been in all my 14 years and I think we all went home inspired by the possibilities

I started biting my lip for Tommy when I read this...defeat has been snatched from the jaws of victory so many times at this stage...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

"I must say that the last GNR tour was a lot of fun. The camaraderie was the best it’s been in all my 14 years and I think we all went home inspired by the possibilities. "

That's the vibe I've gotten from this whole last tour. I've said it before, this seems like the most positive version of the band I've seen post 1991. A group of guys who want to work together and make music.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

"I must say that the last GNR tour was a lot of fun. The camaraderie was the best it’s been in all my 14 years and I think we all went home inspired by the possibilities. "

That's the vibe I've gotten from this whole last tour. I've said it before, this seems like the most positive version of the band I've seen post 1991. A group of guys who want to work together and make music.

Agreed.  A great vibe.  Honestly, I think a good part of that has to do with DJ.  He's enthusiastic and energetic.

Ali

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

DJ and Ron. They're like a pair of puppies.

No, not THAT kind. tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. DJ really is the "difference maker".

You might not like him, or he might not inspire you as a player... but the guy is just lovable. The rest of the band feel the same.

DJ's personality has changed everyone's personality imo. Even being at the show -- the tension was gone from previous years, even versions of the band I liked.

I watched DJ go around and when most people sat down for the first time after Richard's solo started, he was going over to the sides to encourage people to stand back up and stay fired up. It might've only worked for me and a few others, but DJ made sure to acknowledge us for supporting his friend and bandmate Richard. He did the same thing with Ron.

I just found that real class. REAL class. I mean this guy could fade to the background, but he's trying to get fans fired up to hear a solo like you don't think of a guitarist looking out for his bandmates like that in a positive way. Ron normally does this too, i'm not slighting him, but when I saw Ron was when his issues were 'full bore' at the start of the tour and he looked in ALOT of pain and was very distant from the audience the whole show.

Richard was blink and you miss him in 2006, but REALLY fired up and really came across like a leader on this tour and not far behind him I could always see DJ & Ron kinda having his back. I have NEVER seen Richard so interactive throughout his decade-tenure with Guns. He really came into his own on this last tour, counting last year too.

I really think DJ was the game changer. Positive personalities are infectious. I was tired as hell at the end of the show, my legs and back were killing me from standing the whole show and I was in cowboy boots stomping and jumping just like the band, and I was down by the end, and there's DJ looking dead at me throwing a smile shaking his fist keeping me going keeping me in the moment giving me a little more boost to keep going for the encore.

And i'm just some fucking guy in the seats. Who am I?

I think he's the difference maker, all around.

Board footer