You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: the Madagascar Quotes

Yes the OIAM lyrics are often taken out of context. He doesn't hate ALL immigrants and he doesn't hate ALL black people.

But anyway, my main problem is that the quotes attempt to liken Axl to MLK. The Civil Rights movement is not the same as a rich man with a broken heart looking for acceptance. Yet these quotes seem to connect the two.

Either way, Maddy is a mediocre-to-bad song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

personally i rather like Madagascar, but thats not the point

as for your analogy of a sad Axl comparing himself to oppressed african americans...that is also a good point, but IMO i think that he is using them for the inspiration more than likening himself to being in the same predicament that MLK was trying to spearhead, the wieght of the words themselves and the composition of the quotes tells a different story than the actual MLK speeches were indended to acheive

regardless I;ve always been a fan of this portion of madagascar, it rather well done IMO

going back to OIAM, you missed the part of the song that most people consider homophobic, which was more direced at the bisexual populace who knowingly spread the HIV virus in the late 90's than gay people in general, besides its a well known fact that Axl drew inspiration from both Elton John and Freddy Mercury, if he truely was homophoic he would publically list those guys as his musical favorites, nor play on the same stage as Elton...., same with cops, not all of them beat people or opress people cuz of long hair

anyway you didnt imply thos e2 subjects in your post, i was just saying 19

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i figured i'd post the lyrics, courtesy of our very own dave2kgnr

"Madagascar"

I won't be told anymore
That I've been brought down in this storm
And left so far out from the shore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore
Oh no I, won't be told anymore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore
Oh no..... I... I....

Forgive them that tear down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never, too late

For the many times, what seemed like, a memory
I searched and found the ways you used to lure me in
Ooh, I found the ways,
Why it had to be
Marred in denial, and saw heart break / Mired in denial and so afraid

If we ever find it true,
That we had the strength to choose,
The freedom or the chains,
We held together

(Samples:)

I'm gonna tell you a story
Stand up for righteousness!
What?
Stand up for justice!
What?
Stand up for truth!
How can a person grow up with all this around them?
You got to call on that something
Where does it come from?
That can make a way out of no way
All this hatred?
What we've got here is..
Fear!
That power that can make a way out of now no way
Failure to communicate
I tell ya I seen the lightning...I've heard the thunder roll!
Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we do. Maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than
we even know..
Sometimes...
Hatred isn't somethin' you're born with
I feel discouraged
It gets taught
Sometimes I feel discouraged
I felt this fear
He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone, no never alone, no never alone!
Let's get something straight, alright?
Promised never to leave me!
This whole thing was fucked up
Never to leave me alone!
All men betray. All lose heart!
I don't want to lose heart!...I want to believe
Black men and white men
Together at the table of brotherhood!
I have a dream
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty!! WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!

I won't be told anymore
That I can't find my way back
My way anymore
Oh no I, won't be told anymore
That I can't find my way back
My way anymore
Oh no

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Forgive them that tear down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never, too late

this particular part stood out at me when reading the lyrics....it leaves the door open for a reunion 16

anyway, it kinda shows no hard feelings, and his meeting with various ex-members in 2006 kinda reafirms this thought

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I still don't think this song is about the old band. I've always thought it was a more broader message, Axls isolation from the world, how he doesn't want to be associated with this current generation of humanity as they fuck up the planet with their fighting etc but it can be salvaged if we act. Of course the song works on various levels which is why it can be interpreted as being about the old band break up or something more general, perhaps this is something Axl intended, who knows. I think the general message though is in spite of the isolation you may feel you can be strong enough and there is always hope.

I remember someone saying that back in early 06 when Axl was in NY he had said he was there to get the rights to the Morgan Freeman quotes for Madagascar. So it seems at least getting the rights to some of the quotes was his job. I remember an article earlier this year also saying the record company weren't playing ball with regards to securing the rights to the MLK quotes which Axl had asked them to do, it also said Axl won't release CD unless those quotes appear on Madagascar 18

AtariLegend wrote:

Isn't this the whole mythical Axl mentioned what the song was about at Hammerstein, some posters claim they heard, but doesn't show up on the audio bootlegs argument thing....?

I think the song is about the civil rights movement.   I dont think it has anything to do with Axl personally, I think he's telling a story of a black man from the 1800s or some shit.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:

Think Vanishing Point and Cool Hand Luke, this is not alien territory for him. What he wants he gets...

Board footer