You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Robin's Robin (Shows @ Sonoma, CA, 16-17/09/11)

Neemo wrote:

saw robin in 02 and 06 with gnr and i dont like nin

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I saw him in Dublin a few years ago, he's a much better player than i would be but nothing about his work moved me.

I'd like to hear the more extreme work he composed for Axl to see where his passion is and see if he's better at that.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I saw Robin with nin a couple years after he left GN'R and I felt bad for him. He looked bored as hell. Not nearly displaying the passion he did in GN'R. It was an odd tour though because it was with Jane's Addiction. It was an outdoor venue and nin were done playing before the sun was down. It was just kinda off since their show relies a lot on visuals and none of them showed up well with the sun beating directly down on the stage.

I was there too. I heard he was sick that night from some of the people that bought the meet and greet package and saw him earlier in the day. That whole NIN set was lacking. I saw him with NIN in 08 on the LITS tour also. I was right up front in front of Robin and he was moving around the entire time. He had more energy than anyone else in the band. Oh and he didn't play sloppy at all like in GNR.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Just curious Mikka,

What's your opinion on NIN?

I loved NIN 'till Fragile, but I think their last decade was pretty weak. I was excited when I read back then that Robin had joined GN'R, cause I expected a killer, mean industrial record. OMG was surprisingly weak, but I still had faith in the project.
Years later RIR2 was pretty disappointing with another mediocre, unfinished songs and butchered classics. Had Axl gone the Downward Spiral route (which is among my 5 favurite albums of all time!) without abusing the old material, I could have remained a Finck (and Nu-GN'R) fan (in a certain territory of music).
With all what happened, Axl's melodic industrial mess-ups and their handling of the much-loved-catalogue, not having self-confidence, not moving forward, but becoming a nostalgia act and even softening the new songs to work better for the old GN'R fans, I think hiring Robin was the worst HR idea in the history of GN'R. It tells a lot, cause I hate Yoko Tobias.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I love Robin. Balls to the lot of you. tongue

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't get people's thing about Robin in 2006, like he was cool or something.

I think 2002 Robin was the definitive Robin, of Robin's performances. Although i'm not a diehard fan, he fuckin' nailed The Blues in 2002. Bucket & Robin on that song during the 2002 live shows is the DEFINITIVE version of that song. Robin's shining light in 2006 was his Better performances. Probably because of the passion that it was a song he co-wrote.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I was excited when I read back then that Robin had joined GN'R, cause I expected a killer, mean industrial record.

but becoming a nostalgia act and even softening the new songs to work better for the old GN'R fans, I think hiring Robin was the worst HR idea in the history of GN'R. It tells a lot, cause I hate Yoko Tobias.

I think we have rather the same sentiments on NIN, and as far as Robin's concerned, I see your point. Like Bucket & Brain, he was completely wasted with his personal sound, which was cut to ribbons and sprinkled into what Axl wanted CD to be.

The point of what I don't get is, why hire all these people from various acclaimed bands, if you don't give them that space? Demoting Buckethead to a session musician, redoing his parts a good part of a year, is not short of mindboggling.

One might wonder whether the CD saga would've turned out different if Axl would've opted for guys like Fortus & Ferrer back then, technically capable players, but not as distinguishable. Oh, wait. That would've been a solo project.

Board footer