You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Gnr Soundboard Shows

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Buenos Aires 93, wow, fucking AWESOME!

Just downloaded that one after reading that, and yeah, I totally agree, fucking awesome indeed!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just found a mistake...

The St. Louis '91 show is NOT a soundboard here. It's the audience recording.

FYI

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Is the 09 Tokyo show the never ending show?  It might be worth checking out that one new show...

Yeah, and if it's from the same source that I downloaded it from, it's pretty good audio quality.  It makes a nice triple CD set.

I downloaded it and only listened to TWAT (well part of it) so far.  Axl was terrible...I couldn't listen to it any more.  I hope that isn't indicative of the whole set.  I just assumed he played that long because he felt good and sounded good...now fearing that was the wrong assumption to make.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Is the 09 Tokyo show the never ending show?  It might be worth checking out that one new show...

Yeah, and if it's from the same source that I downloaded it from, it's pretty good audio quality.  It makes a nice triple CD set.

I downloaded it and only listened to TWAT (well part of it) so far.  Axl was terrible...I couldn't listen to it any more.  I hope that isn't indicative of the whole set.  I just assumed he played that long because he felt good and sounded good...now fearing that was the wrong assumption to make.

Unfortunately I think that's the reason TWAT isn't played very often.  It's a tough song for Axl to nail live, and honestly I don't think he's done it the handful of times they've played it.  Musically they do a fine job with the song, but Axl can't match his brilliant studio work on that track in a live setting.  At least, not to date.

As was covered in another thread, Axl is inconsistent in that show (all shows).  Some songs sound great, others not so much.  Haven't listened to it in awhile so I can't give specific examples.  I do remember TWAT not being a highlight though.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I can honestly say, as someone who has listened to TONS of boots... that ANYTHING GN'R post-1993... Axl is consistent in being inconsistent live. Honest to God, 2009-2010 Axl is THE BEST he has sound live since '93. However, he's still wildly erratic live.

That Tokyo 2009 performance (other than maybe Nightrain) is not very well reflective. Unfortunately no full soundboards exist of the 2010 shows, but the YouTube videos indicate he sounded better and more consistent mid-leg during the 2010 shows.

Honestly though, people say "Axl was always that way"... umm, not really. I think he did have some consistency once, but he hasn't been that way since the heart of the 1991 shows. By 1992 his voice was erratic again, and he seemed to get it back for the 1993 shows. But since, you never know what you're gonna get.

I still would take 2009-10 Axl's voice over 2001-02/2006-07 Axl's voice any day of the week though.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Question - where did the 2002 soundboards come from? I once heard a fancy story of them being stolen from the Philly soundbooth during the riot...but someone told me that was bunk (or covering their butt?).

Why have we not seen 2006 soundboards (or 2009/2010?)

Hm.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I heard a rumor once that Fernando leaked them. But that sounds like a stretch.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

1987 Marquee was special.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Unfortunately I think that's the reason TWAT isn't played very often. 
It's a tough song for Axl to nail live,

That's because it's damn near impossible to sing big_smile

The high part on the studio track is something like a G or a G# from memory - it's fucking insane to hit that at all let alone with any kind of intensity...

then if you download this version and have a listen  at 4:20 - it's a hell of a scream...doesn't even sound like it's done in falestto - sounds like he's just stretching the fuck out of his main voice or whatever....

Maybe he doesn't pull it off 100% like the studio but the passion that's in that note alone I find totally inspirational. It's impressive to me in it's own way.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The Jam from 1987 Pasadena is awesome!

Board footer