You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Active Pickups vs Passive Pickups

Neemo wrote:

Thanks Dr!

i've kinda gone off of the Active thing...just cuz it will cost too much right now...and i'll need my gutiar routed to do it...prolly $200 for the pickups and another $200 for install

am now thinking to stay with passives but gonna thinking of a Bill Lawrence L-500XL in the bridge ala Dimebag and the L-500R in the neck but if you say the 59 Seymour is cool maybe i will put the 59 in the neck instead

that is one guitar....

as for my main axe...I am mulling putting some alnico II ABH-1's in my Epi LP Standard...i like the covered alnico V's that are in it right now though

but that will give me ceramic in one guitar and alnico II's in the other

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Are you any good at soldering? If so, just install them yourself. Check out where your leads are soldered now, then just solder in the new ones the same way.

Have you played a guitar with the Bill Lawrences? I had a Washburn N2 that had a L-500XL in the bridge, and it sounded very nasally to me. It also could have been because the guitar was made of Alder, which is a very trebley wood.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

no i havent played anythign with duncans, emgs or lawerences thats my problem 16

my guitar that i wanna mod is an epi explorer - mohogany body, mohogany set neck, maple fretboard..with 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52 guages with a top bar tail peice bridge (same as a LP)

right now its got some alnico v's (stock epis) they sound ok to me but i wanna make it sound mean ... I'm playing through a Marshall MG50FX combo

i1gxdv.jpg

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

these ones sound cool...passives

Dimarzio D Activator X's

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

picked up a set of seymour duncan distortions (mayhem set) for $93 on ebay..they retail for $159 and you can get them on musicians freind for $130

high output ceramics so we'll see how it goes...i figure that i can always resell them (maybe even make a few bucks on the deal) or trade them for something else if i dont like them

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

if anyone even cares...haha i jsut get the feeling i'm talking to myself in this thread...anyway I got the pickups in the mail last night...now just waiting for new pots and caps to arrive ... once i get it all together i will try to upload a vid of the sound difference...see if all this shit was worth the hastle 16

I ordered new pots (500k CTS) ... new caps (.033 Sprague Orange Drops) and new wiring (50's vintage cloth pushback) cost an extra $30 but sound quality in the epi's is supposed to be like night and day with a wiring upgrade ... we'll see big_smile

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

dude...its insane how much research i've had to do to figure this crap out

so yeah if you ever decide to do it i will def let you know what i know big_smile though if you got doc love then maybe my input isnt necessary but yeh i've been reading about this stuff pretty much non stop since i decide to upgrade .. finally got a handle on it...a little bit

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah i researched for a couple weeks before i even posted here, then i've been researching since...prolly a solid 2months before i committed to anything ... prolly a bit obsessive compulsive ... a bit 16

Board footer