You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: La Plata, Argentina - October 8 2011

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

or maybe it was the herion, cocaine and mass amounts of vodka 16

Hmmmm could be 14

I always considered that the weakest line up, though. Outside, Axl, Slash and Duff.

jppgnr
 Rep: 18 

jppgnr wrote:
metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I love that the old GN'R font is back. It always looked cool.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

wow some of that staging looks bad ass..the hand and the face...awesome.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, the hand and the face look great, great to see they've put together some cool new stage props.

jppgnr
 Rep: 18 

jppgnr wrote:

The stage was pretty cool! A proper stadium stage.

It was better than the RHCP show i catched a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46t162O_QAk

Waiting for Gn'R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwJggbN … er&list=UL

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

sounds amazing on til

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This I Love sounds fucking awesome!

Sorry sounds LIGHTYEARS better than Rio IV. Seems a tad off key in areas still tho.

Smoking Guns wrote:

I wouldn't assume the current guys in GNR are clean by any means.

I agree. Pitman is obviously a drunk. I think it's amazing the bias Axl has on that. If Slash were doing it in a reunion today, Axl would be stomping around like a baby about it. If Mother Goose does it, it's funny.
roll

Axl also looks 'off' too. I don't care what anyone says, at Rio he looked on something. He's also not been entirely unknown in recent years to show up a tad drunk.

I don't see alcohol any different from any other substance. I partly wonder if Axl's shape has anything to do with all the potential calories & carbs he's consuming with beer/booze.

Everybody knows when you get older, you can't drink like you did when you were young. Starts adding that "beer gut".

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

or maybe it was the herion, cocaine and mass amounts of vodka 16

Hmmmm could be 14

I always considered that the weakest line up, though. Outside, Axl, Slash and Duff.

Nah, the weakest lineup would be the current one. By far. Aside from Estranged, and the fact I prefer DJ to Robin, the 2006 for some reason was just a TIGHT unit, despite not really being a band. Something about the whole 2009-present lineup just lacks urgency, and I think most of it comes from Axl. Frank has kinda slipped under the radar, Chris seemingly is fucks around looking busy these days, Richard's always been a place holder "someone else", Axl goes through the motions every other show, with the only real members 'popping' being DJ, Ron, Tommy & Dizzy. That's not really all that tight.

Maybe seeing this incarnation in person would change that opinion. But from my perspective this is the most 'forced' i've ever seen them look.

2006-07 everyone was firing on all cylinders, and they looked great.

2001-02 was the last "band", and frankly the only actual band of the new era. They all looked like they wanted to be there, other than maybe Paul or Richard. Paul just wasn't into touring, and Richard was a newbie. It would've been interesting if Axl had been successful in bringing back Izzy at that time, how that would've looked on stage. Izzy '93 w/ dreads would've been most appropriate. Axl's voice was the weakest ever, but he had SUCH PASSION for what he was doing then. Like he wanted so bad for it to be a success, that despite his hip hop + braids look, you couldn't help but to root for him. Bucket was a GOD, and the only real Slash replacement, and despite Robin having more stage prescence in 2006, his playing was the best for me in 2002. Something about his guitar blended more with Bucket's than Ron's.

But 1992-93 was a "band" too, make no mistake. Gilby wasn't Izzy, but he was still superior to Paul/Rich. Despite the abrupt lineup change for most of the UYI, the 1992-93 band still had "swagger", which left after that tour ended and has NEVER returned.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Gilby's playing never fit and I never thought Matt's drumming fit. I really dont know what swagger you're talking about. They had rock star cockiness, that any dime a dozen rock band had. Play the Ritz with ANY Gilby/Matt era show and you can see, hear and feel a VAST difference. The sound, the look, the non-professional, "dangerous" raw, hungry, angry perfection was gone after 1989. After that, they were trying to replace that sound and they never did. Dave Navarro would have been a great replacement for Izzy because GN'R would have been a COMPLETELY different band.  Gilby just didn't sound right with Slash, imo.

Most of the AFD stuff felt stale to me.

I think this band gels much better than the 91-93 band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree and disagree. I see where you are at and I know where you're going. Gilby's playing is dime a dozen. I won't deny that. Gilby was a Stones-vibe kind of guy that obviously Axl brought in solely to keep the band moving and keep the tour to not slow up.

But I thought his prescence fell right in with what they were doing at the time. Loved his little Wild Horses diddy (i've heard better), but it was a nice little spotlight moment for Gilby. He at least had a Ronnie Wood thing about him, and was just as much rock as those guys.

Regardless, the AFD stuff felt stale to me by 2007. Not a moment before. It feels ESPECIALLY STALE TODAY.

And I think that the reason is that regardless of Gilby, Slash & Duff just had a way of playing those AFD songs in such a feel and tone that it was NEVER quite duplicated the same way ever again without them. The 2001-02 band made it their own, and I think the 2006 band tried to reduplicate the old style to the best of their ability, but I think by 2007 it was starting to wear thin.

Now? When I hear Jungle or Nightrain or maybe the outro to Paradise City, I still stick my fist in the air, but that's IT. I get so bored when those AFD songs come on with the 2009-11 band. Nothing about their playing of the AFD stuff emotes me, grabs me, not a thing. Used to in 2006, and especially in 2001-02, I used to be able to say "look at how Robin did that, or Bucket played that, or see Ron's new take on that"... and now it just bores me to death.

I think the 2009-11 band once again has tried to attempt to do what the 2001-02 band did, by "making it their own", and it's really fucking boring. It's not played to the sound that I prefer. When I went and saw Slash live this year, I heard those AFD tracks and it was like a drug-induced euphoria. "oooh yeahh". And I realized, the current band doesn't play it bad, and frankly they ARE a better backing band than Slash's solo band. But that's exactly what the current GN'R is missing -- Slash's tone and feel. Forget the bass, we've got Tommy fucking Stinson (who basically admitted he plays it like Duff). Frank Fucking Ferrer, who's the closest to Steven Adler since 1990. But there's one thing they DON'T have... Slash.

And ultimately THAT is why I think the 92-93 band played those songs more enjoyable with Gilby. Not because Gilby is there, but because Slash IS.

As for Matt Sorum, I like him. I like him more than Brain (with Bucket I dig him, with GN'R... who gives a shit, another dime a dozen technical drummer).

But like Izzy, I prefer my GN'R with that 'groove' on the back. A little Sleaze. And that's why I prefer a bag of Popcorn, or a nice tall glass of Thunderchucker. Those are my boys. Although I will say Frank so far impressed me more in 2006-07. He's playing it right currently, but he's kinda came across as 'phoned in' recently. Don't know what's going on, but even at Rio I saw Ron over there trying to encourage him like a "rallying the troops" thing, and you could see Frank kinda going through the motions. Unlike him, weird.

But I have nothing against Sorum. He was the "least" of my preferred 1991 band tho, but on that same accord, i'll always have a soft spot for him. He was GNR's drummer when I first was exposed to them. I'll never forget him wailing on those drums in the direct open of the YCBM video. He's like one of the first guys you see. I'll never forget that image.

As for "swagger", I still think the 92-93 Guns N' Roses OOZED rock n' roll. It was more of a post-Exile On Main st. Stones kinda feel. But it was very much there.

And I want to close with one thing... a mid-to-late 90's Guns that featured...

Axl Rose
"Pride & Glory"-era Zakk Wylde
Dave Navarro
Duff McKagan
Josh Freese
Dizzy Reed

WOULD'VE FUCKIN' OWNED! 9

Board footer