You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Updates: Orlando, FL (Amway Center 10-28-11)

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think live shows are always going to be what this band (like most replacement bands) is ultimately going to be known for.  They will never have a big hit again, but they can tour literally for years if they choose to do it right off the hits.  They may release albums to mild success, but they will ultimately be known as a great cover band and a good time for the passive fan.

Yeah, but that seems to be the case with most bands that have had their peak in popularity. Only you throw in stuff like "cover band" and "replacement bands" in your very predictable boring manner of trying to bait and jumpstart a discussion.

The topic have been discussed to the point of yaaawwning... 11

AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc etc are not filling arenas and/or stadiums with people wanting to hear the new songs.

You have some exceptions now and then. U2 had and album some years ago (was it "All That You Can't Leave Behind"?), that had some surprising huge hits.

Same thing with Aerosmith's "Get A Grip", a surprising big selling album from a band that had seen its peak in popularity.

LOL - do you know anything about Aerosmith?  Get a Grip followed up one of their more successful albums and tours.  If you're going to try to make a point, don't make yourself look silly with one of your examples.

It is what it is.  Only you (and a few others) deny what it is.  bands that are in that situation have (with one exception that I'm aware of in AC/DC) ALL fallen into that profile.  take Journey for example.  People go to see the shows.  They release mildly successful albums that have even received critical praise.  It just doesn't matter because people (in general) don't consider it to be Journey.  Doesn't mean they don't put on a good show - they do.  I saw them and Neal Schon was way better than I ever thought he was.  But it's still not really Journey.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Don't remember if it was someone in here who mentioned this, but this smells like a GNR exclusive TMS:

EddieTrunk: Due to a last minute TMS shoot this weekend me, @realdonjamieson & @Mrjimflorentine will not make Chiller Expo in NJ. Enjoy if your going.

EddieTrunk: We are all headed out of town on a secret TMS mission! I'll share details when I can. Should be interesting...

EddieTrunk: Just took me 8 hours to fly from Newark to Florida. Sucked! Since I'm away for the weekend tonight's Q104 show a replay. More news soon.

I really think this is Guns-related. There wouldn't be any need for secrecy with any other act.

I agree.  Curious to hear what comes of it (if anything).  I will say this: if it is Axl related and Axl stiffs him, he's burning one of the only bridges that really supports him in the media.  I'm not saying others hate him/them, but Trunk is someone that he needs on his side.  I hope he doesn't screw this up.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Bono wrote:

Current Gn'R are a cover band. They are touring the HITS that the original band wrote and recorded with a  few new songs that nobody in the current band other than Axl had a hand in writting haha.

Stinson, Reed, Pitman.

I see your point, yes. A lot of the CD writers had left the band by the time the album was released.

Were there hits on CD?  If so, a lot of us must have missed that, which is hard to believe given our obsessive fanatical nature.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

November Rain was pretty damn good.  Axl sounds way better than he did at Rio, that's for sure.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

November Rain was pretty damn good.  Axl sounds way better than he did at Rio, that's for sure.

Good enough that I am reconsidering if I want to go to a show or not.  Still not that interested in the CD songs, but if they are going to play the classics that well, it may be worth a trip.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Aerosmith is a very rare example of a rise from the ashes type of thing. With Pump, they hit a popularity even topping that of what they had in the 70's. With Get a Grip and clearly some very November Rain/Estranged inspired ballads on that album, they kept going until slowly fizzing out. Nine Lives (my fave) sold less, then came that horrible Just Push Play and then they settled doing nostalgia shows.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think live shows are always going to be what this band (like most replacement bands) is ultimately going to be known for.  They will never have a big hit again, but they can tour literally for years if they choose to do it right off the hits.  They may release albums to mild success, but they will ultimately be known as a great cover band and a good time for the passive fan.

Yeah, but that seems to be the case with most bands that have had their peak in popularity. Only you throw in stuff like "cover band" and "replacement bands" in your very predictable boring manner of trying to bait and jumpstart a discussion.

The topic have been discussed to the point of yaaawwning... 11

AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc etc are not filling arenas and/or stadiums with people wanting to hear the new songs.

You have some exceptions now and then. U2 had and album some years ago (was it "All That You Can't Leave Behind"?), that had some surprising huge hits.

Same thing with Aerosmith's "Get A Grip", a surprising big selling album from a band that had seen its peak in popularity.

LOL - do you know anything about Aerosmith?  Get a Grip followed up one of their more successful albums and tours.  If you're going to try to make a point, don't make yourself look silly with one of your examples.

It is what it is.  Only you (and a few others) deny what it is.  bands that are in that situation have (with one exception that I'm aware of in AC/DC) ALL fallen into that profile.  take Journey for example.  People go to see the shows.  They release mildly successful albums that have even received critical praise.  It just doesn't matter because people (in general) don't consider it to be Journey.  Doesn't mean they don't put on a good show - they do.  I saw them and Neal Schon was way better than I ever thought he was.  But it's still not really Journey.

No, I'm not very familiar with Aerosmith. I see now that maybe I should have used "Pump" or "Permanent Vacation" as an example.
But i feel my argument still holds water.

According to Wikipedia, Get A Grip (1993) and Nine Lives (1997) are the only two albums that peaked at No.1 on Billboard.

"Get a Grip became Aerosmith's best-selling studio album worldwide" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosmith#Discography

Kinda rare for a band that had their first peak in the mid 70's.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Aerosmith is a very rare example of a rise from the ashes type of thing. With Pump, they hit a popularity even topping that of what they had in the 70's. With Get a Grip and clearly some very November Rain/Estranged inspired ballads on that album, they kept going until slowly fizzing out. Nine Lives (my fave) sold less, then came that horrible Just Push Play and then they settled doing nostalgia shows.

Their rise from the ashes came from getting the band back together (and sober), and Walk This Way with Run DMC.  They had big MTV hits on Permanent Vacation (I think Desmond Child had a big hand in songwriting) and they continued from there.  They didn't just arrive with Get a Grip. 

If GnR had gotten back together a few years ago (2000 maybe), I think they could have had a similar resurgence (though not as big).  I'm not sure that could even happen now, but without getting the band back together, it's not going to happen at all for GnR no matter how great the music is.  People have their minds made up what GnR is, and it isn't what's out there now.  That's just the way it is.  I don't know why some of you insist on fighting it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:

No, I'm not very familiar with Aerosmith. I see now that maybe I should have used "Pump" or "Permanent Vacation" as an example.
But i feel my argument still holds water.

According to Wikipedia, Get A Grip (1993) and Nine Lives (1997) are the only two albums that peaked at No.1 on Billboard.

"Get a Grip became Aerosmith's best-selling studio album worldwide" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosmith#Discography

Kinda rare for a band that had their first peak in the mid 70's.

Agreed.  Had they not gotten the band back together, that never would have happened.  They came back because the band got back together and they brought in Desmond Child to write more radio/mtv friendly music.

Board footer