You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Updates: Orlando, FL (Amway Center 10-28-11)

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Aerosmith is a very rare example of a rise from the ashes type of thing. With Pump, they hit a popularity even topping that of what they had in the 70's. With Get a Grip and clearly some very November Rain/Estranged inspired ballads on that album, they kept going until slowly fizzing out. Nine Lives (my fave) sold less, then came that horrible Just Push Play and then they settled doing nostalgia shows.

Their rise from the ashes came from getting the band back together (and sober), and Walk This Way with Run DMC.  They had big MTV hits on Permanent Vacation (I think Desmond Child had a big hand in songwriting) and they continued from there.  They didn't just arrive with Get a Grip. 

If GnR had gotten back together a few years ago (2000 maybe), I think they could have had a similar resurgence (though not as big).  I'm not sure that could even happen now, but without getting the band back together, it's not going to happen at all for GnR no matter how great the music is.  People have their minds made up what GnR is, and it isn't what's out there now.  That's just the way it is.  I don't know why some of you insist on fighting it.

For the record, Permanent Vacation is a shit album except two songs. Pump is good quality but IMHO they never did better than with Get a Grip and Nine Lives. People just don't understand quality.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

For the record, Permanent Vacation is a shit album except two songs. Pump is good quality but IMHO they never did better than with Get a Grip and Nine Lives. People just don't understand quality.

I don't disagree (though I actually like a few songs on PV more than the ones they released).  Pump and Get a Grip were my favorite two albums of theirs and they put on a great show at that point in their career.  Nine Lives had a few great songs on it too...they seemed to get more witty with the lyrics and I liked it.  Falling in Love is one of my favorite Areosmith songs.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Great song, so is The Farm.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Glad Axlin had a great time smile

And Eddie Trunk is very good friends with Ron. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Lomax wrote:
misterID wrote:

Glad Axlin had a great time smile

And Eddie Trunk is very good friends with Ron. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11155

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, just saw that after I posted that. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And here we go...'

--Don't know about the Eddie Trunk thing, but I could "swear" (not confirming) I saw Jim Florentine down by the floor with a VIP/BSP badge on. Chew on that for the rumor mill.

--Axl & Ron interacted more with Cramer's side than mine, which is fine because they interacted more with me in 2006, which makes that experience unique to the Tampa show. This time around it was ALL ABOUT DJ. This guy totally won me over. Not only can he play, but he acknowledged me and my mother numerous times, and when he leaped up into the crowd during Nightrain he actually came over and directly acknowledged her. This is when I touched him as Russ told you. COOL FUCKING GUY MAN. We were over there busting our asses to carry that section, and DJ "got it". The guy can play, the guy can do the ambassador thing, the guy has stage prescence, the guy brilliantly knows how to work a crowd, and he seemed FUCKING LOVE being in this band. Get off your ASS Axl and put together some music for this guy. HE WILL BLEED FOR YOU AND YOUR FANS. DO IT NOW.

--Axl came out in AMAZING SPIRITS. I have NEVER seen Axl in such a good mood, and if I do... it might've been INDIANA '91. YES folks, he was THAT HAPPY. He even made the comment that "God DAMN i'm glad to be BACK in HOME!"

--Axl joked constantly and interacted quite a bit with the crowd, shaking hands, but more over on the other side, or center stage from me.

--Frank fucked up the opening to Estranged, and Axl playfully goes "FUCK! Gonna have to restart Estranged. Then he starts laughing, and looks over at Frank and goes "Damn are you gonna beat on that thing all night?" Then they kicked the song off, intol a live-CD worthy performance. Axl was ON, Ron was ON, even DJ's little part later -- nailed it. They all fucking love playing that tune, Axl was in a great mood playing it, and despite us all not being South Americans, the whole place was singing along all 9 fucking minutes. Just one of those amazing moments you'll never forget. FIRST TIME IN 18 YEARS Estranged was playing on American soil. It's been a LONG time. GREAT return for my favorite song.

--Chinese: was kind of a limp opener; I think it'd work better in the encore like in 2006. Crowd kinda stuggled to instantly identify it.

--Jungle: THIS is when everyone came alive. AXL HEALD THE FULL JUNGLE SCREAM, ala Rock Am Ring 2006. And then proceeds to fucking nail it with the full rasp, old school style. One of the best Jungle performances i've ever heard. Ever. Better than 2006.

--Easy: great song, great energy. The guys have gotten so technically proficient in playing it, that DJ & Ron just fuck around with the solos now, showing off.

--Mr. B: same as Easy, they're so good they just show off knowing they're that damn good.

--Sorry: One of the best live performances of this song i've ever heard. Axl nailed all the parts. Heald the scream longer than I remembered on some performances.

--Better: this song is a song that really hasn't impressed me that much since Robin was on it in 2006. But DJ tries to play it was such passion, you can tell he really likes the song itself. Song still has a great energy, but Robin playing HIS song in 2006, was a very special moment that I still hold in high regard.

--Estranged: I already told you most of the Estranged goodies. The song I came for. Still the highlight of the night. The best i've heard yet. And guess what? THEY PLAY SWIMMING DOLPHINS ON THE SCREEN WHEN THEY PERFORM IT!!! Cool as hell.

--Fortus Solo/Bond Theme: Not bad and gives Richard a moment to shine. He puts alot of energy in it, and it's better than "Beautiful" in 2006. But I think it could be shortened to just a little small intro into LALD, and play another song instead.

--LALD: this song is NEVER gonna be dropped from the set. So get used to it. Crowd probably gave it a BIGGER pop than Easy or Mr. B. Everybody sings along, people love it. Great energy. Axl screaming like 2002 those three times.

--This I Love: the best performance live of this song i've ever heard. CD quality. Axl's vocals were spot on, and were basically perfection. I'd take this performance OVER the studio cut. And of course DJ playing the solo so good... gotta love that.

--Riff Raff: the pisser of the night. DROP THIS SONG. What a fucking waste of time this is. Total piss break. I'd of rather had NICE BOYS, with Axl's pristine raspiness last night than this. Just get RID OF IT! Or play an off-kilter AC/DC song that people actually know like Big Gun.

--Dizzy Solo/Baba: Dizzy dancing like a lepracaun while they struggled to move the piano was funny. LOVE THIS SOLO. "Dizzy mother fucking Reed" as Axl would say. Great solo, and a great intro.

--SOD: Axl's voice was damn near studio perfect on this. Still impresses the crowd, but I dunno, something about it didn't move me as much as it did when it was "The Blues" in 2006, and obviously the superior versions are the 2002 guitar-driven ones with Robin & Bucket's guitar tones. I wouldn't have mind something different here like If The World, TWAT or Catcher In The Rye.

--Rocket Queen: I had just said I hoped they played this. I so badly wanted them to play it in 2006 and they didn't. This time they did, and they nailed it. Axl's voice was godly.

--YCBM: this is where he started to stuggle (like always on this tour). Vocals were immediately 2002, and were pitchy in places. Mid-song the 2006 rasp w/ helium voice comes in and finishes the song in 2006 form. Although the song has great energy, and the crowd LOVES IT (got a bigger pop than some of the AFD stuff), I don't think i've been nuts about the live performances of this since the '92-'93 band played it, and plus Axl struggles to sing it live.

--DJ Solo/Mi Amor: DJ is a great player, but I miss Ballad of Death.

--SCOM: got THE biggest reaction from the crowd of the night. Everybody loves it. The band plays it well enough (needs more Slash obviously), but I think Axl has settled into those clean 2006 helium with rasp vocals on it. He sings it softer, and it just takes adjusting. I bagged on it for awhile, but frankly I had to tip my cap. Just one of those "moments" when you see all those people singing along, crying, hugging complete strangers, like it's a religious experience seeing Axl sing it live.

--Jam/Another Brick: this was just totally fuckin' cool live. We're all singing along in the crowd, then Axl joins in with us. It's a total moment, and I know exactly know why they play it.

--Axl Solo/Someone Saved My Life Tonight: was great to see a piano solo intro for NR back. Just feels right. I wish I knew the words better, or I would've sang along.

--November Rain: full 2006 performance. Helium with rasp, but so clean, so flawless, it's album ready. Axl had to carry the band in places, SOMEbody was out of tune or something. You could hear it, but Axl belted over it and kind of changed the direction. I could see certain people in the crowd looking at each other, kinda perplexed. But Axl carried them out of it. People were hugging, crying, singing along. Couple women looked like they wanted to take their pants off. I couldn't stop looking at this amazing woman that looked just like Jordana Brewster during the whole thing. It was cool.

--Ron Solo/Pink Panther: kind of a funny little moment. Shows off Ron's technical prowess and impresses everyone. No more, no less.

--Don't Cry: first time in how long the full version of this song has been played on American soil? Gotta be since 1993. Either way I didn't get anything more than a "instrumental" version by Ron in 2006. It was nice to finally hear it in it's full form in person. I started fucking with everyone's heads when I started singing the alternate lyrics version mid-way through. Everyone looked like "asshole", but they got it and smiled. Great performance. I wish MORE UYI songs were played after hearing this. I really really do.

--Whole Lotta Rosie: Drop Riff Raff, KEEP ROSIE! Fucking blown the fuck away. This band has made this song THEIRS! Axl's vocals were that of God during the song. Full blown rasp. Close your eyes and you'd think you were at Marquee 1987 listening to it.

--KOHD: FAR FAR FAR more impressed with it than I ever thought i'd be. Better than 2006, and quite possibly THE BEST performance live i've heard of the new era. Now maybe I haven't paid attention to bootlegs, but the whole thing seemed to be far more up-tempo ("with the balls back"), similar to the '92-'93 performances. I dug it ALOT more because of that. Axl told a very touching story about how his grandma had passed away recently at 95, and how she'd of been 96 in a couple months. So he dedicated it to her. Crowd started getting emotional and hugging during it and singing along with each other. It's NOT going anywhere. Got a HUGE pop. Axl's vocals were Freddie tribute quality. It felt like it was 15 minutes long, but none of us wanted it to end.

--Nightrain: close your eyes and you'd think Axl 1987/88 was up there. Dead on. Just as good as your favorite 2010 performance. Beautiful stuff. Loved it. DJ comes into the crowd during the song, and that's when what I said above happened. Cool moment you'll never forget. Deej is THE MAN!

--Madagascar: at first I thought Ron was doing a tease into Maddy, and I was right, but I just told Russ "Ron Solo 2". It's all I knew to say. VERY FUCKING COOL extended intro into Madagascar. I actually had never preferred Axl's more raspy take on Maddy, having preferred the 2001-02 performances. But this WITHOUT A DOUBT, was the best live performance of Madagascar since the 2002 band to me.

--Patience: crowd loved it, and Axl brought it. But for me personally. I still think it could be dropped for something else. It was good tho, no doubt.

--Paradise City: having heard Slash earlier this year, NOBODY plays that song like him. The tone, the feel, the soul... all Slash. This band however does their best, and does well. Axl's voice had slipped into 2006 at this point, but there was 2010-isms in there, and I was fine by that. Great energy, and like always the outro is MIND-BLOWING, and just one of those great moments. Always is. This should alwasy be the closer.

Other comments

--Last night re-invigorated me with this band. It showed me how much passion and chemistry they all have. I was told off basically, and probably think they have MORE chemistry than that 2006 band now. Not a slight on the 2006 band at all. This band could do SO FUCKING MUCH, if Axl would only give it a chance. DJ is the man to save them, short of a reunion with Slash. The prescence, the playing, the charisma, the appreciation, the love, the admiration, the ambassadorship, everything about him screams -- Cool fucking guy.

--Ron last night seemed a little more subdued than 2006. I know that "look", and he looked like a man in pain. He looked like he hurt. Might've been the fact of his bones aching and being in Florida at the time of a Cold front was rolling through. Rainy outside.

--I missed most of Buckcherry's set because I got stuck in gridlock I-4 (big shock Russ, didn't I tell 'ya?), but they seemed to have a great stage prescence, and the audience loved them. Sorry & Crazy Bitch got huge reactions.

--Overall this show was better than 2006, and mainly because of Axl's cheery, happy-go-lucky, glad to be alive attitude than in 2006. Not that he wasn't cool in 2006, but he interacted FAR more this time around. The whole band did.

--Axl was definitely bigger than in 2006, but like I said, I could care less about his weight. He looked good, happy, and sassy, and that's all that matters.

Axlin's recommendation -- get a fucking ticket NOW. If you don't, you ain't a fan. Period.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I cant hate on Buckcherry... I saw them live and played a hell of a show and the ladies eat it up.

Tell Axlin I hope he is getting intoxicated on one or more substances.

I actually felt like I was getting sick, so I decided to take it easy.

russtcb wrote:

I think Axlin might be having service issues in the venue. He sent me a test text earlier, but I haven't heard anything in quite a while.

If I don't hear from him, I'll relay from one of the other forums til I pass out.

Sorry about that. I tried my best to get you real time updates. Hope you got them all. I had to resend SEVERAL of them.

I have a cheap phone. I'm not real big on cellphones, and just keep one around enough that it'll call & text people. That's about it.

The pisser if any is that because it's not a high-end phone, I could've recorded GREAT FUCKING VIDEOS of the show where I was at.

Oh well

misterID

misterID wrote:

Great review, dude.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And here we go...'

--Don't know about the Eddie Trunk thing, but I could "swear" (not confirming) I saw Jim Florentine down by the floor with a VIP/BSP badge on. Chew on that for the rumor mill.

--Axl & Ron interacted more with Cramer's side than mine, which is fine because they interacted more with me in 2006, which makes that experience unique to the Tampa show. This time around it was ALL ABOUT DJ. This guy totally won me over. Not only can he play, but he acknowledged me and my mother numerous times, and when he leaped up into the crowd during Nightrain he actually came over and directly acknowledged her. This is when I touched him as Russ told you. COOL FUCKING GUY MAN. We were over there busting our asses to carry that section, and DJ "got it". The guy can play, the guy can do the ambassador thing, the guy has stage prescence, the guy brilliantly knows how to work a crowd, and he seemed FUCKING LOVE being in this band. Get off your ASS Axl and put together some music for this guy. HE WILL BLEED FOR YOU AND YOUR FANS. DO IT NOW.

THIS. This is what I really took away from the show I saw in january 2010. The guy works his ass off. he may be annoying in how he self promotes, he may come off cheesy but on stage his presence and ability and fucking awesome.

Axlin08 wrote:

Axlin's recommendation -- get a fucking ticket NOW. If you don't, you ain't a fan. Period.

Well I don't think they'll add a date here but if they do I'm pretty confident I will not be getting tickets. I saw it in 2010 and it was fucking awesome. The only thing I see different here is they are playing Estranged and less CD songs. Not somehting I'm gonna dish out money or make an effort to see.  Your review to be honest seems slightly over the top. A little too much "best ever" tone coming from ya but I'll chalk that up to maybe a bit of an alcohol influenced memory of things tongue  The jist of what you're saying is there though and like I've said since my show in January 2010 it was a fucking great show. It blew all three shows I saw in 2006 outta the water and in terms of my expectations it exceeded them.  They are a great live band when things are going right.  Having said that I really don't have a desire to see them again doing a nostalgia tour. And yes I am still a  fan even without a desire to see them live.  But like you if people haven't seen them since 2006 I would also reccomend they should give it a chance if they are a fan because from all accounts since late 2009 till now they've been making 2006 look like complete and utter shit.

Board footer