You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The MLB Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Plus Target Field looked PACKED. I know even in Miami, and there was one Cubs interleague series I went to in Tampa Bay, that the turnouts for the Cubs games are always among the largest. Like Yankees/Red Sox series large. The fans are everywhere.

I went to a game in Tampa in 2008, and it was a near sellout at like 34,000 people... and this was in like May. MAY! It was playoff atmosphere, both teams were the best in baseball at the time, and I had never seen a game in front of that many people. Plus being in a dome, it was deafening loud the cowbells, plus the "Let's Go Cubbies" cheers battling.

That Target Field audience looked massive. What a game. It stormed outside my house all night, so it was cool to get to watch it.

Where were you sitting Bro-mero?

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Down the 3rd base line on lower level by the foul pole

Yeah thats the most packed iv'e seen Target Field all year

P.S. war says "hi" and "to get a new profile pic"

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

War was there?

I can't get a new profile pic, "Dallas" premieres after a 21 year hiatus next week!

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

War is my uncle and his son (my cousin) went to the game. When I last posted, we were at his parents house (my grandparents)

War says "you have one week from the premier to change your profile picture, and thats me being nice"

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Quick notes from a Red Sox fan.  I think Bobby V has done a good job with the team considering all he's had to deal with.  A job that has gone a little under the radar.  If I need to expand I will, but I think it should be evident.  IF they can get everyone healthy, which is a huge IF, I think they'll be in the wild card hunt for the long haul.  To be honest though, it seems like one of those years that the team will never be even close to completely healthy.

I just have seen some comments about how they just don't have it this year, and wanted to point out that it hasn't been from "lack of effort" at least from my view.

Anyway, the Sox have played the Nationals the last 2 days, and lost both games.  I know it's been against the top 2 pitchers on their staff, but they've been impressive.  Their pitching is obviously legit, they just need their offense to support them and the addition of Morse could be enough to make them a permanent fixture for the season.  Though the innings limit they have on Strasburg could become an interesting dilemma for sure.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

Quick notes from a Red Sox fan.  I think Bobby V has done a good job with the team considering all he's had to deal with.  A job that has gone a little under the radar.  If I need to expand I will, but I think it should be evident.  IF they can get everyone healthy, which is a huge IF, I think they'll be in the wild card hunt for the long haul.  To be honest though, it seems like one of those years that the team will never be even close to completely healthy.

I just have seen some comments about how they just don't have it this year, and wanted to point out that it hasn't been from "lack of effort" at least from my view.

Anyway, the Sox have played the Nationals the last 2 days, and lost both games.  I know it's been against the top 2 pitchers on their staff, but they've been impressive.  Their pitching is obviously legit, they just need their offense to support them and the addition of Morse could be enough to make them a permanent fixture for the season.  Though the innings limit they have on Strasburg could become an interesting dilemma for sure.

I think they'll get something for Youkillis that should help them either in the future or right now.

I watched some of the game since it was on MLB network.  Matsuzaka pitched better than I thought.  The breaking ball was working really well for most of his start.  He hung a fastball to Laroche that got blasted for a HR.

Red Sox are only 5 gb of TB and 4 gb of the Orioles for the 2nd wild card spot anyway.

I was real impressed with Gio Gonzalez.  He had a 93-95 fastball and his curveball working.  His curve isn't the big breaking 9-5 type but it does move well. 

The Nats still need a CF though and maybe another C.  On Morse, he looks a lot bigger than when I saw him a few years ago with Seattle.  But yeah the 1-2 punch of Strasburg and Gonzalez could be lethal in the playoffs.  It reminds me of the Giants pitching in 2010.  I haven't really kept track of their closer situation though.  So that could be another achillies heel.

The Twins have been playing pretty well lately winning eight of their last ten.  The division is weak though and they should not start selling yet.

With the Mariners no hitter on Friday, that makes 4 no hitters pitched in the first two months of the season.  Pitching is definitely the name of the game this year.  It was really close to being 5 if Verlander could have gotten the last two out vs the Pirates.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with the Nats. They're legit and they're gonna stay in this, but that offense needs another bat if they're gonna stay with this. The thing is, short of a trade, I don't know of anyone out there.

I did hear rumors of a potential situation of the Twins sending Josh Willingham back to Washington. That could help.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Man, what a week.  Cain pitches a perfect game on Wednesday against the Astros.  Either signs an extension to stay with the Dodgers.  They overpaid as he isn't worth that much.  And he's 30 years old and has only hit 30 homers once.

Cubs sign Soler to a 9yr deal worth 30 million dollars.  That's about the going rate for a top Latin American prospect.  I think he's listed as an OF now, I could have sworn he used to be a SS.

The Pirates begin their usual descent into the toilet by getting swept in BAL.  I guess they won't finish in last this year with the Cubs and Astros stinking it up.  Just hurry and trade Hanrahan for any decent young hitter.

Detroit has been playing better this week and the White Sox (and Indians) have fallen back.  The back end of the White Sox rotation  (Humber and Floyd) have been horrible lately.

Willingham will attract a lot of suitors.  Two years at a 7 million per year is a very affordable and offense is down league wide so that can't hurt his value.

Dodgers are said to be very interested in Ryan Dempster.  There's nothing an opposing fan base likes to hear more than Ned Coletti is interested in one of your players.  The dude gives away prospects/valuable young players like candy.  I'd suspect that they would probably get a Top 10 prospect (most likely a pitcher, they don't have minor league hitters of note) and maybe another interesting young player.   And SF is closing in on them. 

It will be real interesting to see what Philly does.  If they're out of it, they could quickly reverse course and deal Hamels and Victorino and restock their minor league system.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Willingham signed a 3-year, $21 million dollar contract before the season started

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

I've heard Thome might be dealt to a World Series contender at the deadline. His isn't playing for the home runs, he is playing for a ring

Board footer