You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: 12/07/11 -Youngstown, OH (Covelli Centre)

metallex78 wrote:

I think the whole argument of "old band playing out of tune" vs "new band playing out of tune" is that the old band still sounded like GN'R, even if they were playing badly.

Slash's guitar tone is unmistakable 21

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'll just put it out that I don't think Axl/GN'R ever chased trends neutral

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

"Chasing" is largely pejorative, I think. But I definitely think Axl is a music lover and huge aficionado, and he definitely loved NIN and others either before they were hugely famous, or before they were largely mainstream, and wanted to incorporate some of the sounds he was hearing into his own stuff.

And there's nothing wrong with that, what went wrong was the delivery timeframe is all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, I'd fuck off before I take another lame sax solo.

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011 … -large.jpg

God that is SO LAME! 19

there are at most 3 good saxophones in rock n roll

chief obv is steve mackay
2nd is bobby keys
3rd is the, strangely enough, in todd rundgrens Dust in the Wind which GnR covered

the restall blow. in the bad, bad bad way.

I get technical prowess on the sax, but the late Clarence Clemons is an ICON of rock sax players. He's the Slash of sax.

johndivney wrote:

still boring as fuck mate
nuthin 2 do w/technical prowess. the boss's tunes would rock a lot harder minus the sax leads.
there's loads of icons.

horns, unless used in psychedelic rock, don't make it for me in rnr.
gimme nebraska.
but u knew i'd say that.........

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm pretty sure sax was all over the rock of the 50's that gave birth to rock n' roll.

And it was players that influenced Clemons.

johndivney wrote:

still boring as fuck mate

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

So rock of the 50's was boring as fuck, or just the sax?

Man for a boring as fuck form of music, it sure had alot of traction to influence every player/performer that came after and the backing of everyone in the music industry.

johndivney wrote:

man i was just messin'

but seriously tho, outside maybe little richard & bb king i don't see horns or sax as a major influence in the sound of RnR in the 50's - & those guys weren't desperate enough to make them a lead instrument. they were just part of the rhythm section.

i ask you this, where is the sax or extended sax solo's in Bo Diddley's I'm A Man, Chuck Berry's Memphis? what about Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Elmore James or John Lee Hooker?
or for that matter Buddy Holly, or John Cash & The Tennessee Three??
or what about poppier guys like the everly bros? is there a sax on Bye Bye Love???

the rock of the 50's most certainly was not boring. it wasn't fuelled by sax solo's.

& listen, it's not like i have anything against the saxomaphone - lisa has become one of my favourite characters in the simpsons the older i get.. Impluse! is one of my favourite record labels & John Coltrane one of my all time favourite composers & players. but that's jazz, maaaaaaaaaaan. not RnR.

it was only in the horrible 80's when (corporate) RnR was bereft of fresh idea's the desperate turned to the sax solo.

& one final point. for the birth of rock n roll - did son house, robert johnson, blind willioe mctell or blind lemon jefferson need sax solo's? imagine asking clarence to toot over dark was the night cold.... ugh, gives me the creeps just thinking about it!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i hate brass instruments 16

Board footer