You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: 12/07/11 -Youngstown, OH (Covelli Centre)

DCK wrote:

It's all winning, Axl nails it, the band nails it. Never better.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
DCK wrote:

Shit, I just listened to 2011 Civil War and 1992 Civil War. The 2011 version is a lot better. In 92, the song goes too slow, Axl doesn't sing nearly as good as I remember him. In 2011, it's just NAILED.

one of the reviews talked about how this band seems to have been bilt for the UYI songs. I think having 3 gutarists takes it to another level. And the entire band does have a pretty solid chemistry together.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Funny I find this line ups version boring, I think Paris 92 is best by a light year. The only thing cooler about the new version is no hot pants and costume changes 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I agree with you Olorin. I kinda am going reverse on Civil War 2011 vs. Estranged 2011.

I think the current version's of Estranged are the best live versions of the song they've ever done. Axl stays in the lower register the song was recorded with, rather than the over-rasp during the UYI tour.

The 2011 band plays Estranged so technically perfect, that other than maybe Tokyo 1992, the old band used to fuck it up constantly (looking Slash & Gilby's direction).

Civil War 2011 is a different story. Although Axl & the band play it excellent.

Too fast

Civil War needs a slow groove. A slow burn. That's the kind of epic power it has. I also prefer Slash's Voodoo Child intro to Civil War.

Is it bad? Hell no. Is the 2011 band kicking ass on it? Absolutely.

Is it "never better". No fucking way man. That Farm Aid 1990 performance alone fucking takes 2011, puts two .22 slugs in the back of it's skull and leaves it in a ditch outside of town.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

" I also prefer Slash's Voodoo Child intro to Civil War."

Me too.  But I like the new line up's version better, mostly because I think Axl sounds better on it now. I was never a huge fan of Civil War live with the old band, mostly because of Axl.  I think he nails it now. And the band sounds better for it. I like how aggressive it is.

Plus, he's toned down the costume changes 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The Rebel Jacket and bicycle pants will always be CIVIL WAR!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The Rebel Jacket and bicycle pants will always be CIVIL WAR!

Probably my favorite Civil War. 9

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Agree man, Axl sounds like the spawn of Satan, those pipes are on overdrive. I think this is better than the album version.
Slash is on fire as well, I dont think anyone in the new line up can touch him on this song, such a powerful performance.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Agree man, Axl sounds like the spawn of Satan, those pipes are on overdrive. I think this is better than the album version.
Slash is on fire as well, I dont think anyone in the new line up can touch him on this song, such a powerful performance.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. Hearing Slash's new performances of the song in 2010/11, also re-instate's that's HIS song instrumentally. He still nails it, and their's a certain 'feel' that's missing with the new one.

It's very good, and i'm so glad they brought back, so glad they stomped on fuckin Riff "Snore" Raff with it, but at the same time I think the best ever stuff is a little over done.

The Civil War 2011 clip I saw/heard the other night had Axl going in and out of 2002-isms. That Paris '92 Civil War above is definitive of everything GN'F'n'R's is about.

And the people who felt the song never really ever did anything for them live, to each their own, but I felt that Civil War live defined the UYI era. Every night it was one of the Top-5 performances of the show during that period.

Board footer