You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: 12/07/11 -Youngstown, OH (Covelli Centre)

misterID wrote:

Up until now, the only old song I prefered from the new line up was Jungle. I loved what the new band does with Estranged, but there are too many magical moments between Axl and Slash back on the UYI tour. Though I love what the new band does with it.

Like, I love that clip of Slash doing Civil War recently, even though his backing band was pretty bland. If Slash had today's GN'R backing him and today's Axl singing it, it would be one of the all time great GN'R live songs, IMO. Right now, I prefer the new version.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah it's strange there are some songs that just don't seem right to me without slash playing them, Civil War is one of them. I don't know if its partly a visual  thing, partly a signature sound?? That Voodoo Child intro FucKen rocks.

I would say locomotive and estranged also fall into that category for me too.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Damn, as great as current GN'R are playing, I miss the 1992 lineup....

misterID

misterID wrote:

1992 was my least favorite line up. 1991 was cool, with the addition of Dizzy and Matt and the fact Izzy was still in the band.

And Steven wasn't my favorite GN'R drummer, but some of those 1988 shows were TIGHT. It's hard to top that.

I think each line up brought something cool and unique to the band, though. And they all had different strengths.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Funny I find this line ups version boring, I think Paris 92 is best by a light year. The only thing cooler about the new version is no hot pants and costume changes 16

92? Seriously? You like it slow paced and sometimes out of tune??

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

That 92 version is the gold standard. I agree that while Axl's nailing it, and the band is killing it, he's slipping into 02 a bit now in 2011.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Funny I find this line ups version boring, I think Paris 92 is best by a light year. The only thing cooler about the new version is no hot pants and costume changes 16

Ummmm no... no I wouldnt like that at all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

In fairness, I heard the new band be totally out of tune a few times in Orlando, while Axl was nailing it, all rasp.

It happens live.

I don't think it can be a benchmark of a live performance.

I do believe the 1992 band fucked up Estranged quite a bit. Slash & Gilby said in Making The Fuckin' Videos how difficult it was to play live around 1993. I do agree that the new band plays it better.

But Civil War... no. 1992 nailed it. When they were on, Civil War, Bad Obsession, Move To The City "ladies and gentlemen... the band!"... that was a musical force now. Total "you're gonna listen to a sax solo, fuckin' like it or fuck off"

Total Stones

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Don't get that at all. I listened to Paris, Tokyo and Chicago and it was all quite off.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I'd fuck off before I take another lame sax solo.

Board footer