You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Myles is a writing partner here, this is not a solo effort.

Anyone who said this about Axl and the new line up would have their head bitten off by you guys.

I think there's a real tendency to put a halo on Slash, because of Axl carrying on GN'R without him. The more I hear things over the years, I don't think Slash was as easy to get along or co-exist with as people think.

VR isn't happening right now because of Slash. I think there's more going on behind the scenes than we know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I completely agree

Intercourse wrote:

It is not Slash's responsability to help feed and clothe the rest of the band members; the same ways that nobody would expect you to work in a place that you hate while putting your plans on hold, just because of a couple of dudes you work with can't find decent work somewhere else and need you to come in to carry them.

Okay let's go with your concept of "this is business".

Well i'm in VR. VR is my business. And right now i'm LOSING money, because ONE member wants ONE guy, the rest of us don't want.

He's costing me money, for whatever reason. Whether it be sobriety, personal interests, whatever.

So at this point i'm thinking, "how do I replace my guitarist", and/or i'm suing him for lost revenue.

You can bounce this around all you want. Slash's personal interests have hurt the whole. VR is just as much Duff, Dave & Matt's band as it is Slash's.

Think about it this way...

You have a cupcake business. Makes tons of money, people love your cupcakes. Five people run the business. One person leaves mutually. Then while trying to figure out whom you want to hire to replace the left person to keep YOUR business running, you find the right person and one person vetos/blocks your and the other 3 business partners decision. Said person then goes off and opens up an ice cream shop. But yet won't contribute your cupcake shop which is your business, yet won't grant you permission to replace the originally lost partner, nor will he allow himself to be replaced in the agreement.

But that's okay, it's not his responsibility to feed and clothe me. Ummm... yeah it kinda is. MY business has boards on the windows, not because of me, or two of my other partners, but because ONE doesn't agree with how we want to run things.

Like I said, i'd be asking him to mutually resign, or i'd be calling my lawyer at this point, because i'd think he was a total fuckin' dick.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Then again.. Maybe Slash didn't want to share a singer with two other bands?

He rejected Sebastian cause it sounded like Skid... If Corey made VR sound like Stone Sour... Im glad Slash said NO

Lomax wrote:

If.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Then again.. Maybe Slash didn't want to share a singer with two other bands?

He rejected Sebastian cause it sounded like Skid... If Corey made VR sound like Stone Sour... Im glad Slash said NO

VR sounded like Stone Temple Roses

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I don't think it sounded too much like STP to be honest.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash is the draw....  See his solo tour for evidence. His bandmates should know their roles.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

I don't think it sounded too much like STP to be honest.

Well to me, it sounded musically like GNR with the voice of STP, because that's what it was.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

VR is dead. I personally think Slash sees it as a back up plan if this solo thing doesn't work out. There will always be something to stop them from finding a singer. I don't think Slash wants a band anymore, I feel he is too happy on his own with his name on the top of the bill.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

So if Slash recast VR with his solo band, and called it VR... people wouldn't be cool with that and would give him as much shit as Axl got for a recasted GN'R?

No but that's because VR was just a good band...GNR is like one of the all time legendary bands.

So like Scott or Slash being VR on his own would suck but still isn't half as troublesome as Axl being GNR on his own...and it's not because people hate Axl...it's just Axl's band is the one that holds a place in the annuals of rock history and i would suspect heavily in the lives of the kind of people who most here.

I put it like this: I'll let people fuck with my valentines day or mother's day or something, but what Axl's doing is fucking with Christmas man...:haha:

Anyway..I see some of your point about Slash+Duff...to be honest I think Slash bails when things get awkward and none of them communicate as much as they should.

My opinion is that Slash probably doesn't emotionally know how to sort stuff out when it gets complex. He either hides in his drugs or in his schedule.

So this means when you have someone else in the band doing something unfortunate - say a Scott having a relapse when the rest of the band were on the slipping edge of sobriety - or an Axl demanding more and more control of parts that arn't the vocals and increasing his seclusion from the band...or a Matt not liking the first 1000 singer demo tapes you bust out....he shuts down and bails rather than call their bullshit.
And that's HIS own bullshit.

It's notable that Slash told that story of the day he quit because Axl came in and they couldn't even look each other in the eyes.

He just couldn't take the stress of that any longer. And it's easier to leave than fight it out.

Hense what I always say: No Saints in GNR. It's naive to think everything is Axl's fault, but I'm here to tell you - Slash also isn't an uber deamon who'se to blame for everything either.

As for VR...at this point I think Slash is holding them up. As i said earlier he has no commercial motivation to go back to VR. In his solo band he controls the shots and just had a successful album. In VR he has to deal with equal partners - some of whom have their own dubious histories - he has to make up for a sub-par album - and he has to re-prove the band has a worthy identify without Axl and Scott as well. I'd be keeping it as a side project too. If they find a magic guy it would kickass, but if they don't find someone good and release more subpar stuff it only has the potential to harm what he's achieved with his current solo gig.

It's a shame though as I love seeing Slash and Duff together. I wish the solo album had been a VR album with guest singers.

Board footer