You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

Smoking Guns wrote:

If Slash kills it with Myles, why would he go back to VR?  And with this GNR reunion looming, who knows what will go down.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

So if Slash recast VR with his solo band, and called it VR... people wouldn't be cool with that and would give him as much shit as Axl got for a recasted GN'R?

No but that's because VR was just a good band...GNR is like one of the all time legendary bands.

So like Scott or Slash being VR on his own would suck but still isn't half as troublesome as Axl being GNR on his own...and it's not because people hate Axl...it's just Axl's band is the one that holds a place in the annuals of rock history and i would suspect heavily in the lives of the kind of people who most here.

I put it like this: I'll let people fuck with my valentines day or mother's day or something, but what Axl's doing is fucking with Christmas man...:haha:

Anyway..I see some of your point about Slash+Duff...to be honest I think Slash bails when things get awkward and none of them communicate as much as they should.

My opinion is that Slash probably doesn't emotionally know how to sort stuff out when it gets complex. He either hides in his drugs or in his schedule.

So this means when you have someone else in the band doing something unfortunate - say a Scott having a relapse when the rest of the band were on the slipping edge of sobriety - or an Axl demanding more and more control of parts that arn't the vocals and increasing his seclusion from the band...or a Matt not liking the first 1000 singer demo tapes you bust out....he shuts down and bails rather than call their bullshit.
And that's HIS own bullshit.

It's notable that Slash told that story of the day he quit because Axl came in and they couldn't even look each other in the eyes.

He just couldn't take the stress of that any longer. And it's easier to leave than fight it out.

Hense what I always say: No Saints in GNR. It's naive to think everything is Axl's fault, but I'm here to tell you - Slash also isn't an uber deamon who'se to blame for everything either.

As for VR...at this point I think Slash is holding them up. As i said earlier he has no commercial motivation to go back to VR. In his solo band he controls the shots and just had a successful album. In VR he has to deal with equal partners - some of whom have their own dubious histories - he has to make up for a sub-par album - and he has to re-prove the band has a worthy identify without Axl and Scott as well. I'd be keeping it as a side project too. If they find a magic guy it would kickass, but if they don't find someone good and release more subpar stuff it only has the potential to harm what he's achieved with his current solo gig.

It's a shame though as I love seeing Slash and Duff together. I wish the solo album had been a VR album with guest singers.

I think that emotional aspect is what is psyching Slash out already with the Axl situation at the Hall show. Slash is coming across as skittish, because the last thing he wants is an emotionally awkward meeting to take place.

But if Axl walks in there, Rx'ed up and looking like he has during the last tour, I guarantee you Slash's mindset towards GN'R and the past, present & future will completely do an about face. He might even get emotional on stage.

In some ways Slash is just as much of a headcase as Axl when you break it down. He seems to not want ANY negativity around him AT ALL, even though alot of the time it's of his own creation.

I just KNOW that if Axl & Slash go to the Hall and within 15 minutes are all smiles and bullshitting, it'll be a game changer. Everyone else's attitude will totally change, ala DJ & Ron with Axl.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I take all of your points Axlin and cannot deny the logic inside of them but Monkey kind of summed it up for me.

Slash is holding up VR as they all wanted Corey and he didn't.
After Scott went Slash publically stated that he would be very careful about the choice of next singer as just getting a 'name' brings its own problems.

Plus Libertad was a train wreck that derailed the huge momentum they got from CB. There is such a mountain to climb with the fans, the press, the GNR reunionists, the Axlites...the list is endless.

Right now, Slash's stock is at an all time high while the rest of VR languish in the shadows. I mean Duff opened for Axl...how fucked up is that???

Slash doesn't need this gig as badly as the rest of them and as a result maybe the only one who is really, truely applying the quality filter on the work they did together with Corey. Also, for Slash, Corey could be a case of the band grabbing at an A list singer and setting themselves up to repeat the mistakes of the past with Scott.

I don't see why Slash has to be demonized for telling the band he didn't like the music. I have to agree however that if he was to be fair to the band, if 4 say they like the music and he is outnumbered then he should either:

support the band, make the album, go on the road and see how it fares
or
license his parts of the songs to them and let them run on without him and take the royalty check.

If he really doesn't care about VR this would be a good way to expose that. Move on without him, put Zakk Wilde in on lead and get out there with Corey.

Frankly, I think Corey is average among his peers. Maybe Slash cares enough about the VR name to force hard quality control decisions upon the rest of the band. But if he is wrong he should step out.

My other option to him would be to suggest putting the VR/Corey album and his solo album out together and then go on tour and with his band opening for VR.

That's pleasing all the people all of the time right there....

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Personally I think Duff and Matt should tell Slash to go hang. Get Corey in on vocals, he's a big enough draw, and get Navarro (or Ashba tongue) in on guitar.

I'd be more interested in seeing VR minus Slash but with Corey on vocals than I would be in seeing Myles butcher the GN'R songs with Slash.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

A VR with no Slash? No way, you'd end up with a maybe a glorified version of Loaded with a different singer.

Don't get me wrong, I like Loaded, but there is nothing Dave Kushner is playing that impresses me at all, and he and Duff alone couldn't carry the "guitar" sounds coming from the band the way that Slash so effortlessly does.

Lomax wrote:

The more I think about it Corey just doesn't fit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah to me the whole point of VR is to put Slash and Duff together (and to a lesser extent with Matt)

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If Slash kills it with Myles, why would he go back to VR?  And with this GNR reunion looming, who knows what will go down.

Reunion looming? There's a slim possibility for a one off show, with a stronger possibility it won't happen. Slash is calling all the shots with his solo band right now, and yeah, I consider it a band. He's doing what he wants with no interference from anyone. It's like Axl, why in the world would he ditch what he has now to share power with people he doesn't agree with or share the same vision with? VR is obviously not a priority with him and neither is an original GN'R reunion.

monkeychow wrote:

It's a shame though as I love seeing Slash and Duff together. I wish the solo album had been a VR album with guest singers.

Yes! Dude, I've been saying that forever.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash is the star in VR. What don't you guys get?  Duff was more fun to watch when he was a drunk.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

The more I think about it the more I think they should go ahead with both albums together and have both bands tour together with Slash playing two sets per gig.
200 minutes of Slash playing guitar...SWEET!!
VR, GNR, Slash Solo tunes all live in one night...now that would be da bomb

Board footer