You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

Out of interest, would people be interested in a Duff/Izzy/Matt lineup with a new guitarist and singer? Just curious. After all, Izzy was the songwriting powerhouse in the band, and with the best will in the world there are other lead guitarists who can do what Slash does. Navarro has enough stage presence to handle the role, for instance.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I'd like to hear that band. Navarro would bring more of a funky vibe, which Duff could probably work with (think Rocket Queen), Izzy could rattle off some decent songs and provide his awesome rhythm chops, and... let's say Corey Taylor on vocals, for the sake of argument. Or, hell, Scott Weiland.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ that would be cool.

SG, the thing about VR was that it was part GN'R with Scott on vocals. Slash wasn't the single "star."  Scott had a HUGE role in the interest in that band. Which is the whole reason they picked him. Or else it would have been Slash with whatever lead singer. VR wasn't the Slash show.

And God forbid Slash ever open for GN'R, SG would kill himself.  The Duff slagging is getting beyond stupid. He was okay before playing with GN'R (which is where it started with some of you) and then opening for him suddenly turned him int a tool with no stage presence, and an awful bass player that can't keep up with Slash's current bassist. roll

LAME.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. Alot of people have revealed themselves for the true, closeted Slashites they are. I never saw the big deal with Loaded opening for GN'R, and it was only for two shows in Duff's backyard.

I for the life of me cannot see the big fuckin' deal. All of this bullshit about "he's a sellout to Slash"... go get laid. Seriously.

Duff texted Slash when he was WITH Axl in London, and told him what was going on, and Slash texted him back "that's really cool".

There's obviously no issues there. Slash has also continued to talk positively of Axl when asked in interviews since then, short of questioning whether he'll actually show at the Hall induction.

elevendayempire wrote:

Personally I think Duff and Matt should tell Slash to go hang. Get Corey in on vocals, he's a big enough draw, and get Navarro (or Ashba tongue) in on guitar.

I'd be more interested in seeing VR minus Slash but with Corey on vocals than I would be in seeing Myles butcher the GN'R songs with Slash.

This... to an extent.

See the problem is -- Slash kinda is 'the star' with VR, unless they did something nuts like get Chris Cornell to be the lead singer.

I would be first in line for a Slash-less VR album with Corey, DJ Ashba, Duff, Dave & Matt... but at the same time even though I thought Slash's guitar abilities and soloing abilities were sadly hidden in most VR songs (opting for a more STP-style, vocals-front music)... at the same time losing Slash on VR III would be a massive loss.

The entire tone and feel would be lost on the music. They wouldn't sound the same. Despite the misterID's who think the new band are so technically great... I still think that to this day Slash's feel and tone has not be duplicated on the AFD songs. To this day, the AFD songs don't sound the same way, the right way, live with Guns N' Roses.

When I saw Slash live last year and heard the GN'R songs, the first thing I heard instrumentally and said aloud was "THAT is what GN'R has been missing". I think the first track he played was Brownstone or Michelle from AFD. The feel is just entirely unique to Slash.

Even when VR were active, 2001-02 Guns played the AFD tracks more technically efficient (especially Bucket who took great liberties), but VR's "feel" was more purist to the original sound. Wonder why? Slash and Duff.

Part of VR's appeal is that it's 1992-93 Guns N' Roses, without Axl. Without Slash, it becomes like was already said in this thread -- "Loaded with Matt Sorum on drums". Big deal.

Rather than replace Slash with a DJ Ashba, i'd rather have Slash actually TRY to use Corey and see where it goes rather than running to his solo career so he can have Myles, the singer HE wanted.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Out of interest, would people be interested in a Duff/Izzy/Matt lineup with a new guitarist and singer? Just curious. After all, Izzy was the songwriting powerhouse in the band, and with the best will in the world there are other lead guitarists who can do what Slash does. Navarro has enough stage presence to handle the role, for instance.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I'd like to hear that band. Navarro would bring more of a funky vibe, which Duff could probably work with (think Rocket Queen), Izzy could rattle off some decent songs and provide his awesome rhythm chops, and... let's say Corey Taylor on vocals, for the sake of argument. Or, hell, Scott Weiland.

Enough. Stop it. Slash is a legend. He  wasn't just a lead guitar player, like millions on the world. He's irreplacable. Stop this Axlite bullshit.

I'd be interested in another band with Duff and Izzy though, even more with Steven on board. But they should get a decent singer, like John Corabi, Mr. Robinson, Andrew Stockdale or Lenny Kravitz, and I'd buy their album on the release date.

Lomax wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Enough. Stop it. Slash is a legend. He  wasn't just a lead guitar player, like millions on the world. He's irreplacable. Stop this Axlite bullshit.

Allah is great allah is good. All praise allah. Stop the infidel. STOP HIM 11

You guys are both fighting the exact same fight you just got different mascots.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Are we just two months away from the appetite reunion at the rnrhof?  all bets are off until then.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Hold your breath for that. Seriously, hold your breath.

Axlin12 wrote:

Despite the misterID's who think the new band are so technically great...

Where the fuck did this come from?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You thinking the 2009-11 Guns is better technically than the 1992-93 Guns w/ Gilby.

Ain't that what we're comparing here? VR is basically 1992-93 Guns without Axl.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

If the 93 guns got back together would make much diff axl voice has gone to the pack these days

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

For the record. my Anti Duff opening had nothing to do with Slash. Just how he was united with Slash, filed the same lawsuits.. Quit GNR but as soon as Axl tells him to jump, he asks how high again just like back in the day.

My "Your wife fucks another guy and u catch them, she takes all ur shit but yet u are the best man at their wedding" analogy.

Duff looked weak kissing Axl's ass.

Board footer