You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

Smoking Guns wrote:

I want to see what Slash and Myles come up with on this new album before passing judgement. Myles is a writing partner here, this is not a solo effort.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

You know, we all have our theories, but 1, Axl in his press release stated that Slash was sober. 2, he said that Beta talked to Slash, so in this case he wasn't even there and has no clue about it 3, he released that vicious stuff months after the supposed meeting. These are crying for the usual made-up paranoid shit by the Axl camp, or even worse, a very calculated lie to diminish VR. He did the same nasty stuff to get the name, he probably did it again in his palladine battle against Slash, the Satan.

Plus. We don't know who said what. But in the recent weeks, Duff did everything to validate the spineless badge, considering what he said and done against Axl not that long ago. Plus. Scott himself admitted when he left VR, that he was phoning it, and was only there for the money. Plus. Nobody likes Matt Sorum.

Anyway, I would even believe some of the Axl camp's story, if the "Slash came to inform Axl that..in this ongoing war, contest or whatever anyone wants to call it that Slash has waged against Axl for the better part of 20 years, that Axl has proven himself 'the stronger'." Bullshit. Never happened. Only in Axl's dreams. Everyday.

Slash's last story is much more believable to me. "I actually did go to Axl's house at one point, but I never saw him. I never talked to him. I left a note with his person over there having to do with lawsuit that we were in. I don't know how it got turned into what it got turned into."
He could have handed a paper in which he stated the withdrawal of the lawsuit, as it was reported a few weeks later. Sorry, but with such an egomaniac, , bitter, selfish and manipulating guy that Axl is, I tend not to believe his all time bullshitting, and I pray that a reunion will never happen, cause this guy would kill all that good memories left from their glory days.

If it was that simple and innocent... then why did Slash lie about it?

I rest my case... Slash is full of shit.

Mikkamakka wrote:

Wrong. Slash and Duff (and Izzy) hates to work with assholes, and a lot of singers are egomaniac assholes who think they are the band, and the others are only there to back-up them. It's that simple. Slash's fine with Myles, and as far as I know, he was fine with Eric Dover, too. Axl and Scott are among the worst personalities in the rock industry, while Snakepit 2 just fell apart.
Never believe Axl's lie that he gives 'space' to the guys with the solo spots - in fact, he needs them to be there, until he gets some oxygen offstage. They are employees and don't even wanna be more. As long as the money arrives, they'll be happy. Well, Slash and Duff are far above it, both mentally and as a musician, otherwise they'd still be in the band.

They're so far above it... yet can't find a singer for THEIR band. It's not Axl Rose or Scott Weiland or Corey Taylor's fault that they can't work in a group.

Slash is just as much an egomaniac. If Duff is "spineless" in regards to Axl, then he's "spineless" in regards to Slash. Duff only gets along with BOTH Slash and then Axl, because Duff is a 'yes man'.

So don't you ever think or trick yourself into thinking that Slash and Duff are above something, because they aren't. Slash gives the orders in VR. Always did. Otherwise you'd have a fucking band with Corey Taylor.

Why do you think Slash has abandoned VR for a solo gig with Myles? Because Slash is being a dick to VR. VR wanted Corey, Slash wanted Myles, so instead of being a BANDMATE, Slash pulls "an Axl" (because he's the asshole right?), so Slash pulls an epic asshole moment, and basically pulls VR off the road and out of the studio, so he can go off and write with the guy HE WANTED (nobody else), writing songs for TWO albums at this point, while he lets VR rot. Why? Because Slash is right, and everybody else is wrong. Sound familiar?

"I just wasn't feeling it"

And every swinging dick Slashite comes in and goes "hey Slash, that's cool, whatever you feel like man".

But when Axl goes (in regards to reuniting with Slash), "i'm just not interested in that right now, i'm interested in what we're doing right now"... he's a fucking asshole nazi.

Then when you try to defend that position, you get some old ass, blah blah blah "he shouldn't use the GN'R name", whatever. roll

Slash buried VR, because he wanted to be the star. If Axl did it with GN'R, then Slash did the same thing with VR. Myles being a "writing partner", is because Myles is Slash's DJ Ashba. He's a yes man who won't go, "I don't like this, I don't like that". Unlike Axl, Scott, Corey...

The attitude some people have around here and other places of "singers are usually egomaniacal headcases, because they think they're the star"... THEY ARE THE FUCKING STAR! You ever heard the phrase -- "frontman" ??? Singers are supposed to be the face. Not everybody is the fuckin' Eagles.

Slash has just as much of a oversized, self-centered ego as Eddie Van Halen ever dreamed of. The difference between the two is Slash has now derailed TWO popular rock bands because he had to have it HIS way.

I will fully agree on one thing -- Axl & Scott were known as difficult personalities in the industry, but considering Axl has co-existed with other players, and Scott returned to Stone Temple Pilots... apparently they're not too nuts.

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Duff has a side band that just has to have his name/title above the band name

I've read several interviews where Duff was clearly against that. It was the record company that wanted to add his name on to Loaded, to help shift units.

I stand corrected. Apologies to Duff. The name above the title was always bizarre to me, and I didn't understand the origin.

Even with movies, i've always found names above the title (Alfred Hitchcock, John Carpenter) to be enormously cocky.

So once again... apologies to Duff.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Axlin u make some great points

Years ago, i was always on Slash and the old bands side... the more i heard though and more i thought for myself, i started turning and now no longer believe the breakup was Axl's fault or at least not all his fault.

Scott may have done it for the money, but he always gave 100 percent in concert. he busted his ass every show. At my atlanta show, Duff and Slash stood in one spot almost the netire concert. Slash made shit ton of mistakes etc..Scott was def the star that night and that was before i was a big time scott fan.

AtariLegend wrote:

When I seen them in Befast in '05 Slash never moved from the right side of the stage. Wasn't like a music video or those live videos, he just played guitar done the pose and smoked a cig.

The crowd interaction was 96% Scott, 2% Matt then everyone else. Vaguley remember Duff, but I do know it seemed liked Dave was standing a curtain most of the show. idk maybe it was just me being a "Gn'R" fan.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding scott giving it his all - I think he gave 100% on the CB tour...but by libertad he was too far into a junk haze again - skipping shows - making demands - fucking up.

As for Slash and Duff. Awesome musicians. I think maybe they're not the best communicators though. Seems free and open communication has never been something that's very prevalent in VR or indeed GNR before that.

I think when Slash can't deal with the drama or politics a situation he just shuts down, and then becomes sort of absent. IMO he's unofficially quit VR because they can't agree on the singer and he can't deal with down time. Sure he's still in the band...but really explain to me how it's going to work now. 2010 - releases an album, tours for 18 months, 2012 - releases a follow up - you can bet there will be a year of tour to follow. I know the idea is slash does his solo thing, and Duff does loaded, and then when Slash goes back to VR myles can go do alterbridge and everything works...but I don't see it. I see Slash as basicly tied up musically with his solo shit for 2 years...and now he's not going back to VR - he's restarting a chain of events that will keep him busy for another 2 years. I love VR...but I can't see how it's going to get back together in this environment.

Anyway...as for the was it Slash or Axl. I think it's both. Axl clearly has had his share of deamons at times. Also, while I understand why he did it - bottom line getting guys who were equal partners in the band to become employees for you is going to cause resentment. Meanwhile slash isn't good at dealing with situations. I think everyone is to blame because basicly everyone just did what they could to survive an impossible situation and deal with their own issues and personalities.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

If it was that simple and innocent... then why did Slash lie about it?

Did he directly lie though? Or was he just vague?

I thought he said it "didn't happen" and that he hadn't seen Axl in 10 years. Later he clarified that he'd gone around to sort out a law suit not talk about VR - but was refused access to Axl.

Either way, I think that's a case of perspective. Beta may think it was Slash showing up and trashing VR bandmates, I could easily see Slash admitting that GNR had a better vibe between them all being taken as that. It's been taken as him saying VR sucks but maybe he was just saying "time to stop this GNR war"

Besides there are a lot of elements that don't make sense in both sides. Why was Axl's version edited later on? Why does it go to the trouble of specifying Slash was sober? How believable is it that Slash would bag everyone to an assistant of Axl's other than as some attempt to be granted an audience of some kind by the people that keep Axl hidden? If he said those things it could well have been solicited from him when a simple request to communicate was over analysed.

Axlin12 wrote:

Why do you think Slash has abandoned VR for a solo gig with Myles? Because Slash is being a dick to VR. VR wanted Corey, Slash wanted Myles, so instead of being a BANDMATE

I don't think that's 100% right.

Matt was the person who twice suggested that Myles be in VR. (Once prior to scott and once after). On both these occasions myles did not audition for VR.

I think VR couldn't agree for the life of them on a direction/singer.
They've previously stated they have all the material ready for a next album just no singer. They decided not to force it and wait.

Trouble is Slash needs to be busy to be sober and so he got to writing a solo album to keep himself busy. In the process of doing that he had spare songs and so thought of myles. They clicked...and now myles is fronting the Slash band.

I will grant you though that Slash is funny about singers. He's been the guy who has bounced a lot of candidates, including Corey. And I do think perhaps now it's become easier for him, and more commercially logical to follow up his successful solo album and tour, than to re-form a band that's last album under-peformed, and that will be dogged by not only ex-gnr controversy but now Ex-scott pressure to prove itself. Bottom line is it's easier for him to be solo - no need to manage awkward friendships and strong personalities like with Matt and so on. If anything it's prob slash hoarding myles for himself now. If he brings myles into VR, and relations break down with Matt/Duff - he's back to no job - but with myles in his back pocket - he can always easily launch another solo tour with a frontman that can swing his whole backcataloge enough to get away with it.

So i agree that he is now fucking with VR by stalling them endlessly with solo albums, but I don't think it was pre-meditated because they didn't like myles. I think it was just that it became hard in VR, and just like he formed Snakepit when Axl became hard to deal with...Slash needs to keep himself active and playing...and he takes the path of least resistance to that happening.

As for him being ego centric. Probably is, but then he's one of the greatest guitarists of his generation if not all time, so it's logical for him to be a major part of the band...just as it's logical for the front man to be the star in a band too.

Bottom line is VR or any Slash involved band should be like AC/Dc where the focus is on Angus and Brian - in a lead singer/guitarist kinda duel spotlight thing. That's the only logical thing when someone like Slash as your guitarist.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

And every swinging dick Slashite comes in and goes "hey Slash, that's cool, whatever you feel like man".

But when Axl goes (in regards to reuniting with Slash), "i'm just not interested in that right now, i'm interested in what we're doing right now"... he's a fucking asshole nazi.

Then when you try to defend that position, you get some old ass, blah blah blah "he shouldn't use the GN'R name", whatever. roll

I get why at this point that arguement would seem tired, but for me the name thing IS what it all comes down to. 

If that doesn't make sense to you, there's no changing your mind or probably even letting you fully see why we feel that way, but in the end that is where every discussion about it ends for me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

So if Slash recast VR with his solo band, and called it VR... people wouldn't be cool with that and would give him as much shit as Axl got for a recasted GN'R?

I don't anyone would even notice, short of a missing Scott Weiland, which is gonna be missing anyways.

I'm also convinced people would fully support the move as long as they got Myles & Slash putting out music.

I think alot of the bullshit GN'R gets is from the stigma of the name 'Axl Rose' and it's mythic media created perception, and Axl's complete lack of a studio catlog post-1991.

monkeychow wrote:

Besides there are a lot of elements that don't make sense in both sides. Why was Axl's version edited later on? Why does it go to the trouble of specifying Slash was sober? How believable is it that Slash would bag everyone to an assistant of Axl's other than as some attempt to be granted an audience of some kind by the people that keep Axl hidden? If he said those things it could well have been solicited from him when a simple request to communicate was over analysed.

All absolutely fair points. I'm not saying Axl's not a bullshitter. I'm just saying "don't bullshit a bullshitter", aka Slash coming in with more truth.

Axl's story is defintely told from a slant.

As Duff would say, "that's his truth... and that's cool". 16

monkeychow wrote:

Trouble is Slash needs to be busy to be sober and so he got to writing a solo album to keep himself busy. In the process of doing that he had spare songs and so thought of myles. They clicked...and now myles is fronting the Slash band.

So everybody else has to sit at home, and/or do without the VR money because Slash is a weak ass junkie that is demanding it his way, yet at the same time saying he has to stay busy because he'll relapse?

If I was that guy's bandmate, i'd gladly tell that guy to fuck off.

If that's true that ain't nothing but emotional blackmail. If Slash is such a weak-spirited drug whore, then how about greenlighting Corey, GIVING an inch to your band, rather than taking, and staying busy that way?

Too much?

For Slash apparently, it is. On one hand he has to work desperately, but doesn't mind making the others not work because he won't greenlight the singer he wants.

He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Usually a selfish trait.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

So everybody else has to sit at home, and/or do without the VR money because Slash is a weak ass junkie that is demanding it his way, yet at the same time saying he has to stay busy because he'll relapse?

Not really. Everybody in the band in a professional musician and an adult who will do what's best for them and their future in the end. There are no 20 year olds in this band, no gang on the road, no 'us against the world, just 5 middle aged business men who are using their talent to make money for their families.

It is not Slash's responsability to help feed and clothe the rest of the band members; the same ways that nobody would expect you to work in a place that you hate while putting your plans on hold, just because of a couple of dudes you work with can't find decent work somewhere else and need you to come in to carry them.

This is show business folks and its the nastiest business in town. Everybody in the business from music to films have always maintained that. If you believe that anyone on VR or GNR is a pussy getting their ass handed to them, think again.

Slash cannot simply 'demand his way', even Matt recently said VR is a democracy and everybody has to be on board. I don't believe that Matt would not mince his words at this stage.

If Slash didn't like Corey's contribution, he has every right to not move forward with it. Why assume there is a bitchiness angle in here? He may just not have liked it, simple as.

I think Slash is making a sweet living and leaving a peaceful life as a solo star..why go back to the other shit he has publically stated he hated so much?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Not really. Everybody in the band in a professional musician and an adult who will do what's best for them and their future in the end. There are no 20 year olds in this band, no gang on the road, no 'us against the world, just 5 middle aged business men who are using their talent to make money for their families.

It is not Slash's responsability to help feed and clothe the rest of the band members; the same ways that nobody would expect you to work in a place that you hate while putting your plans on hold, just because of a couple of dudes you work with can't find decent work somewhere else and need you to come in to carry them.

This is show business folks and its the nastiest business in town. Everybody in the business from music to films have always maintained that. If you believe that anyone on VR or GNR is a pussy getting their ass handed to them, think again.

Slash cannot simply 'demand his way', even Matt recently said VR is a democracy and everybody has to be on board. I don't believe that Matt would not mince his words at this stage.

If Slash didn't like Corey's contribution, he has every right to not move forward with it. Why assume there is a bitchiness angle in here? He may just not have liked it, simple as.

I think Slash is making a sweet living and leaving a peaceful life as a solo star..why go back to the other shit he has publically stated he hated so much?

Board footer