You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Gents,
None of you are wrong. People just hear things differently and buy accordingly, its not a real measure of quality. The quality of music is a personal perception and no amount of arguing will change that.

I love STP and as I get older I am finding that even within their body of work my tastes are changing as I move to embrace Shangri La rather than Core.

Its like my journey with GNR, right now I am in the middle of loving their epics and avoiding their hits..Breakdown..Coma..Estranged..TWAT..they are doing it for me whereas I just cannot sit through SCOM.

I know that I'll change again in a year or so..

Yer same hear mate

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

When it comes to well-known contemporary rock vocalists, the top seats are still with names like Jagger, Osborne, Tyler, Rose.

well all those guys are a generation or 3 removed from the grunge scene

if we are going all time vocalists thats one thing but i explicitly stated the 90's

Not all-time.

Guys still around and active.

Scott Weiland is a nobody compared to those guys. That's right.

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

When it comes to well-known contemporary rock vocalists, the top seats are still with names like Jagger, Osborne, Plant, Rose.

fixed that for you. you're welcome tongue

Thanks.

Looking back, I knew I forgot Plant, but certainly, he's up there.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

7-3

harder writing number 1 rock hits IMO

Plus scott way more diverse

and please don't bring up the shit ukulele album of Vedder.

Well, first off Pearl Jam actually had 6 singles reach #1.

Brother #1 on the Alternative chart
Daughter #1 on both the Alternative and Mainstream Rock
Better Man #1 Mainstream Rock
Who You Are #1 Alternative chart
Given to Fly #1 Mainstream Rock
Worldwide Suicide #1 Alternative chart

And I think most could agree they have MANY better songs than those even.

By your rationale, both bands are far superior to Guns N' Roses, who only had ONE #1 song.

And I'm not sure how Scott is way more diverse than Eddie.  People used to call him a Vedder clone.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Pearl Jam fucking destroys STP. Not even a contest.

Weiland might be a better frontman, but Vedder is a better vocalist, leader, writer, and all around prescence than Scott.

Weiland also is lesser in comparison to Cornell & Staley. Scott MIGHT be on an equal level with Cobain though, who was the least of his peers imo.

Andy Wood never got to see the whole thing blow up, and he was still the best one of them all. THAT was grunge's rock star. I know coulda woulda, blah blah blah... that dude could've had Wembley in the palm of his hand with his charisma, vocals, and stage prescence.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

I think if everyone went back and listened to this album with fresh ears.. They'd realize Slash does a shit load more than most remember.

People have blown shit up like its a Metallica St Anger type thing but he still does kick ass solos on every song.

You are probably right that I do over state it a little. It's also not helped by the muddy production sound that their producer favoured. Don't get me wrong though I seriously love a lot of VR songs.

Slash does have some tasty parts in most of the songs too. I like how his rhythm parts are more complex and sort of match Dave's but without doing the same thing (reminds me of the Slash/Izzy interplay on Mr Brownstone).

I guess I just feel a lot of the solos are minimal compared to how he would play the same types of songs on the solo record.

If you compare the VR demo of Ghost to the solo version it's like the same riffs but put into more of a shred fest.

Or to me a great example of what I mean is Superhuman on Contrband.

Really dig that song. It's got a fun intro riff, a catchy grove of a main riff, killer hook from scott that's really "sing along able"...great song...but where's the solo? If you listen even to the B-sides of the Slash album like sahara - I can't help but think that the same song done now would have an outro with soloing of some kind mixed in....

Of course it might be that Slash was trying for a more modern sound or something himself, might not be scotts fault. Anyway...so yeah...I agree there's till great guitar there and it's no saint anger...but I do also feel that his playing seems restrained on a number of the tracks.

That said....I've been listening a lot to VR of late. And while I always wanted an Axlish singer over scott. I have come to appreciate how in some of my favourite VR songs it's his voice and lyrics and hooks that are working really well.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it was a "band" fault. Not Scott's.

If you notice, only now are bands starting to lean back into having guitar solos (not counting Metallica, Audioslave & GN'R).

Back in the early to mid 2000's, for whatever reason it seemed like radio didn't want solos anymore. Almost all rock radio at the time was manufactured without solos, or had them toned down and VR was no different in order to get airplay. Other bands had intros, outros, and solos trimmed by the stations themselves in order to play more commercials.

I think it was a combination of industry pressure, label pressure, and the band themselves. I don't think it was Scott Weiland telling Slash "don't play that". Hell even Axl didn't do that to Slash.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Andy Wood never got to see the whole thing blow up, and he was still the best one of them all. THAT was grunge's rock star. I know coulda woulda, blah blah blah... that dude could've had Wembley in the palm of his hand with his charisma, vocals, and stage prescence.

I strongly disagree, and with deepest respects for the guy, seeing as he passed away.
But from the footage in Pearl Jam Twenty alone, he looks and carries on like someone out of Poison...:ummm:

I don't think Mother Love Bone would have ever reached the heights that Pearl Jam did, if he was still alive and they stayed together.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

I think if everyone went back and listened to this album with fresh ears.. They'd realize Slash does a shit load more than most remember.

People have blown shit up like its a Metallica St Anger type thing but he still does kick ass solos on every song.

You are probably right that I do over state it a little. It's also not helped by the muddy production sound that their producer favoured. Don't get me wrong though I seriously love a lot of VR songs.

Slash does have some tasty parts in most of the songs too. I like how his rhythm parts are more complex and sort of match Dave's but without doing the same thing (reminds me of the Slash/Izzy interplay on Mr Brownstone).

I guess I just feel a lot of the solos are minimal compared to how he would play the same types of songs on the solo record.

If you compare the VR demo of Ghost to the solo version it's like the same riffs but put into more of a shred fest.

Or to me a great example of what I mean is Superhuman on Contrband.

Really dig that song. It's got a fun intro riff, a catchy grove of a main riff, killer hook from scott that's really "sing along able"...great song...but where's the solo? If you listen even to the B-sides of the Slash album like sahara - I can't help but think that the same song done now would have an outro with soloing of some kind mixed in....

Of course it might be that Slash was trying for a more modern sound or something himself, might not be scotts fault. Anyway...so yeah...I agree there's till great guitar there and it's no saint anger...but I do also feel that his playing seems restrained on a number of the tracks.

That said....I've been listening a lot to VR of late. And while I always wanted an Axlish singer over scott. I have come to appreciate how in some of my favourite VR songs it's his voice and lyrics and hooks that are working really well.

I've always thought of Superhuman as VR's Alice In Chains moment. That sludgy riff that comes in after the into lead melody, and the "doo-doo" part sung in the background towards the end, which is similar to AIC's song Again.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I strongly disagree, and with deepest respects for the guy, seeing as he passed away.
But from the footage in Pearl Jam Twenty alone, he looks and carries on like someone out of Poison...:ummm:

I don't think Mother Love Bone would have ever reached the heights that Pearl Jam did, if he was still alive and they stayed together.

I completely disagree, and I highly question how much knowledge you have of the rock scene in Seattle from that time.

Even Alice In Chains had a more "colorful" vibe when Facelift launched. Layne Staley & Jerry Cantrell had the look of glam rockers, until the whole attitude in the very early 90's took on a darker vibe. AIC's 1988 demos when they first formed were sleaze rock songs, in the Guns N' Roses vibe. Not shocked they were originally called Alice N' Chainz. Mother Love Bone was from the same background.

Andy would've been no different. Pantera was a fuckin' hair band too. It happens.

Honestly I think Andy had TONS of stage charisma. Just because the guy dressed a little LA, doesn't mean that he wasn't trying to "look the role" to get a record deal. Remember when you are trying to break into the business, you do have to bend a little to get some acceptance to A&R as "marketable".

Maybe i'm over-shooting his abilties? Vocally he seemed to have alot of similarities to Ian Astbury. And he had tons of swagger. Just to look at Andy he looked like the kind of "arena frontman" that grunge NEVER had (yes I said it).

This is a total hypothetical, but I think had Pearl Jam never existed, Mother Love Bone would've been just as big, if not bigger. The reasons why is because I think Stone & Jeff would've kept directing the band to do audience-friendly songs, rather than the eccentric shit Eddie was into.

Mother Love Bone would've still been doing grunge arena rock, easily accessible songs well into the late 90's, while Eddie was burying the band into being an underground act.

In other words, Creed would've never grabbed that ball. Mother Love Bone would've ruled that scene... in theory of course.

Board footer