You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: I want a reunion

Bono wrote:
Riad wrote:
Bono wrote:

16 You never cease to amaze with your tirless ability to spin in favor of the almighty.

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1046000 … 4x2000.jpg

Sky Dog wrote:

Pot Meet Kettle...good one.

16 Talk about grasping at straws. What in the hell would I ever have to "SPIN"  when it comes to U2 and Bono. There is nothing to spin. The fact is everyone on this board wishes Guns N' Roses ran like the well oiled machine U2 is. Anyone who says otherwise is blatant lier. The cold hard truth is I don't have to spin or speculate anything when it comes to U2 or Bono. I know the truth in that bugs the shit out of some of you. To even remotely suggest I spin U2 the way some of you spin Axl and Gn'R is off the charts hilarious. You wish you could talk about Gn'R the way I can talk about U2 when it comes to how they do things.

as for the CD songs in the set list. Ok fine he hasn't scaled them back I'll give you that. Let's not forget though that we've all been hearing Madagascar, CD and The Blues for the last 12 years. TWELVES YEARS!!!! Woooo! Buckle up people we're really moving now!  roll

Sky Dog wrote:

the CD fiasco came down to money and trying to figure out a way to recoup all the costs...simple as that. The Best Buy deal delivered.

Going forward...???????????

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
Riad wrote:
Bono wrote:

16 You never cease to amaze with your tirless ability to spin in favor of the almighty.

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1046000 … 4x2000.jpg

Sky Dog wrote:

Pot Meet Kettle...good one.

16 Talk about grasping at straws. What in the hell would I ever have to "SPIN"  when it comes to U2 and Bono. There is nothing to spin. The fact is everyone on this board wishes Guns N' Roses ran like the well oiled mahcine U2 is. Anywone who says otherwise is blatnat lier. The cold hard truth is I don't have to spin or speculate anything when it coes to U2 or Bono. I know the truth in that bugs the shit out of some of you. To even remotely suggest I spin U2 the way some of you spin Axl and Gn'R is off the charts hilarious. You wish you could talk about Gn'R the way I can talk about U2 when it comes to how they do things.

as for the CD songs in the set list. Ok fine he hasn't scaled them back I'll give you that. Let's not forget though that we've all been hearing Madagascar, CD and The Blues for the last 12 years. TWELVES YEARS!!!! Woooo! Buckle up people we're really moving now!  roll

No....U2 is the Rolling Stones of our generation. Stones artistically done in 72...save one record Some Girls in 78. U2 artistically done in 91. Both simply became money making machines after 72 and 91. Just my opinion.

Beautiful Day is one of U2's best though.....every now and then, Bono, you can try to respect that not everybody sees the world the way you do.

Sky Dog wrote:

and not everybody cares how much money a rock band makes or how many sheep follow them. I Will Follow...actually, a song from back when they were good and not just a corporation....:peace:

Sky Dog wrote:

that ought to get his lather up...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

uh oh...!

Sky Dog wrote:

Achtung Baby! I'm heading out of town for the weekend so somebody get my back...

Lomax wrote:

g22_17448829.jpg

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:

I want a reunion too. Current line-up is pointless.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Ali wrote:

You did not answer the question about why release CD at all if the intent was solely to tour and make money off the back catalog. 

Ali

From what I can tell he ended up having no choice but to release CD.  Ever since he got the original advance for it from the record label (which I believe was while Slash and Duff were still in the band) he had been spending money hand over fist on the damn record.  Not only did he continue to piss all the labels money away, once that dried up he then had his hand in his own pocket for it.

So he was contractually bound to deliver a record and financially was probably up to his eyeballs in it too.  So fulfilling that obligation and clearing the decks of the debt was no doubt part of the motivation to release CD whether he wanted to or not.  Even if he just wanted to tour off the back catalogue after Slash and Duff left, he still would have no choice but to release CD at some point for the above reasons.

Personally I think he genuinely wanted to move forward, release new stuff regularly and establish nuGNR in its own right.  Sadly along the way that got all fucked up and now he just seems to be happy to trade mainly off the back catalogue.  I don't blame him for making a buck, but if he has changed his desire to create new music and move forward and is happy to trade off the nostalgia, get the old dudes back (if they will put up with him) and do it.  Otherwise, give your current bandmates some respect and actually get in the studio and record and release some new music with them.  Let the world see what they can do as a collective unit. Don't insult them by letting them spin their wheels for years on end, as they will eventually go the way of Bucket and Finck.

And yet with all the incentives, intervention on the part of the label, etc. He still held out until 2008 to release the record.  He could've toured indefinitely off the back catalog alone to make money.  I've yet to hear of a record contract that dictates the schedule in which an album needs to be released, anyway.  My point stands.  If the sole desire was to make money touring off the back catalog, there would've been no point in recording a new record with new styles incorporated and laboring over it that much. 

Right now, people are presuming there will be no new music worked on, no new music recorded.  That is nothing more than presumption at this point.  That seems to be a rather important point that is conveniently forgotten in all these arguments about Axl just living off the back catalog.

Ali

Board footer