You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

Sky Dog wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

and for the record, his style right there fits in to the band much more than DJ. No sunset strip tats, dangling cigarettes or hats....he looks pretty good now.

Robin still has that weird drunk-guy-nearly-falling-off-the-stage thing kinda going on.
I don't really see how that's a better fit than DJ's classic rocker style.

And somehow Robin managed to make that Better riff sound like nails on a chalkboard again.
I still love the Better solo though, and he played it well here.

I give credit to Robin for keeping the band going for all the years that he was there, but I'm still glad we have DJ now.

DJ isn't a classic rocker by any stretch. Slash, Perry, Page...that is classic. DJ is a sunset strip, hair metal guitarist with a touch of the modern rock vibe going on. To me, there is a big difference. Just because he can ape Slash doesn't make him "classic".

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I really liked watching Robin play Better again. It looks right hearing and seeing him play the solo.

Yeah. I was excited about it in the first place (of course) but then actually seeing and hearing it was such a treat.

And for the record, Robin's versions of NR and Patience are better than the originals.

Also:

and:

Gee axls voice is lacking  power in these clips

Sky Dog wrote:

he should just quit....that Dead Flowers is killer. cool

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I was thinking, it's taken 4 years (ok, 3.5) since CD was released, for Robin to get up and actually play any of the songs live with the band.

I know this is GN'R and the time frame of things in GN'R land is different to the rest of the world, but does anyone else find that odd...? 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So if bumble did have to leave then I guess you could promote richard to bumble's (buckets) parts, Robin plays richard (izzy)parts  and the his own solos on CD, and Ashba plays slash.

Could work...although I think bumble's speed and crazy theatrics may be pushing richard's boundaries even though I say that with respect as he's a formidable lead player as well, it's possible he has undemonstrated game in stuff like 8 finger taps.

But I think this was just a guest spot really, and I'd hate to see bumble go, not just cos he's great in the band but it would be shit to think his accident messed with his own life to the extent he had to quit a huge band like GNR.

Classy of DJ to allow this without any stress.

Great to see Robin back...although I'll never quite understand how Russ likes his versions better than the originals...but each to their own...and  I really like him on the CD stuff...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

People forget Robin had more official, ASCAP writing credits than Bucket on Chinese...actually him and Paul have 7 a piece which is second to Axl. Dizzy has 6, Tommy 5, and Buckethead 3.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7377&p=1

That can be misleading though. The best guitar solo on the album apparently wasn't good enough to give Buckethead any writing credit for TWAT. Kinda reminds me of Slash with Estranged.

you shouldn't get a writing credit for coming in and adding one solo to an already written song...just my opinion. Estranged is different because Slash played all the melodies and solos...big difference.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

and for the record, his style right there fits in to the band much more than DJ. No sunset strip tats, dangling cigarettes or hats....he looks pretty good now.

Robin still has that weird drunk-guy-nearly-falling-off-the-stage thing kinda going on.
I don't really see how that's a better fit than DJ's classic rocker style.

I give credit to Robin for keeping the band going for all the years that he was there, but I'm still glad we have DJ now.

I agree with this. I like Robin and even though I do credit Robin with my two favorite solos on CD it's not enough to make me think he was an awesome fit. And even though I said his image fit much better in that clip than before I still can't stand his stage presence with Gn'R.  I like DJ. Became an even bigger fan after seeing him concert. The same coud not be said for Robin.

russtcb wrote:

And for the record, Robin's versions of NR and Patience are better than the originals.

Also just for the record..... NO

Sky Dog wrote:

I thought Robin was great at Hammerstein. Again, much much better on the CD songs than the old stuff.

Board footer