You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

misterID wrote:
russtcb wrote:

This.

Also the terms "Axlite" and "Slashite" have always bugged me and are completely ridiculous. Not sure why I can't be a fan of some of the things both do.

I think when mikka called him an asshole, that was a bit worse...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The Wal Mart version of GN'R.

Yeah...I mean I prefer the AFD line up to the UYI tour...but at the end of the day Matt and the UYI guys were still GNR to me as well.

polluxlm wrote:

I want new material and in that regard Izzy is the man you need to go see.

I love Izzy but I think people overplay his role in these songs. There's that interview with him where he was talking about writing with GNR - and he says he'd be playing some chords and then Slash comes in and starts chugging out the same riffs but rocky and heavier and adding an intertwining part, then Axl shows up and goes "no change, this melody, let's do this here" and then by the end of the process they've added a ton of bad ass stuff and it's way cool but not like the song he showed up with.

Izzy is great, I'm just saying if AFD had been a juju hounds record then those songs would not sound like the AFD songs. So whoever wrote the original structure, Axl added the vocal melody and the Axlness, Slash brings his way of playing riffs and those solos....so I think people get obsessed with the idea of "without Izzy they can't write". Yes that's what happened when he left - but that's because of the communication breakdown IMO - I think Snakepit, VR, and Chinese all show that the others are capiable of writing great stuff - if they could bring themselves to work together again - with or without izzy it could be impressive.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Adler confirms he meant to call the current lineup "Scabs" not "Hacks"...

Lol this guy is hilarious.  17

[youtube]rfuKdmJ50ls&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

misterID

misterID wrote:

Maybe he meant they're scrubs? 16

The guy next to him looks like he wants to shake his head and say, "Dude, stop shooting yourself in the foot already."

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

agreed, we all agree. we all have repeatedly.

as far as bromero, nobody should have to put up with your insults, regardless of age.

i'd stick up for you too if the roles were reversed.

Waiting for that to happen.

BTW (and it's really my last post on the subject) how should have I known that he's an infant? The hardcore Axlites are using the same logic. Alright, it was an automatism on my side, but I didn't expect anyone coming here who doesn't know that Axl hates Slash. I've seen plenty of people denying it, but they all knew it. On the other hand your nephew may need more research about the band before he posts.

Infant? Come on man....

Been a fan of Guns N' Roses for a solid 5 years and know just as much about  GnR as you do, just cause I'm not an adult doesn't mean I "need to research more about the band"

Sky Dog wrote:

Adler is beyond sad.....feel sorry for him but I REALLY hope "some" people show up to give some appropriate speeches.

monkeychow wrote:

Izzy is great, I'm just saying if AFD had been a juju hounds record then those songs would not sound like the AFD songs. So whoever wrote the original structure, Axl added the vocal melody and the Axlness, Slash brings his way of playing riffs and those solos....so I think people get obsessed with the idea of "without Izzy they can't write". Yes that's what happened when he left - but that's because of the communication breakdown IMO - I think Snakepit, VR, and Chinese all show that the others are capiable of writing great stuff - if they could bring themselves to work together again - with or without izzy it could be impressive.

But without Izzy, if they tried to work together again, what would be different this time? If you think Snakepit was great, that's cool with me, but Axl (and many others) did not consider the material to be very strong. Axl would probably still want to bring in a new songwriter to help him and Slash.

Meanwhile, Slash (and many others) would probably still not agree with the different styles Axl would be interested in.

So I think you have some good points. It's easy to minimize the contributions of some just because Izzy may have started a song, but those contributions are what made it GNR.

But where I disagree is that they could work together. I still think Slash would want Axl to just shut up and sing and I still think Axl would not find Slash's material to be strong enough without outside help.

It's a stalemate that could really only be solved by . . . Izzy.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

izzy's rhythm playing was the base of the songs. izzy is a big part of one of the greatest albums of all time. and as msl said he's a big part of the family and it's harmony.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's no surprise that the best song - musically, at least - on Slash's solo album is Ghost, aka The One Where Izzy Plays Rhythm. Slash and Izzy on their own produce good music, yeah. Together there's some sort of weird alchemy that takes place.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The songs needed to be conceived before they could be fleshed out and added to with contributions from the others. Traci Guns said Izzy basically had 80-90% of AFD already written before Slash came into the band. So, Izzy is pretty darn important.

Like MSL pointed out, Snakepit is a good example of Slash without Izzy.

Board footer