You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Remember when...

monkeychow wrote:

Some great memories in this thread.

Things like blood in the water recently reminded me of those times.

I'd kill for more music!

johndivney wrote:

what was the website that had a countdown or something?

My memory is really hazy on shit like this...

i had a countdown on mistersaintlaurent.com counting down until shackler's revenge was leaked from beijing.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Yep, and Axl going to that nightclub and playing CD over and over to all who was there.  Then Bach blabbermouthing about 3 CD's worth of material he heard at Axl's BBQ.

There were so many colourful rumours, it did make it quite exciting back then, when there was nothing else going on.

I did like the kid walking past the Universal offices and hearing shit blasting out a top office window, that was one of my faves.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pure, the insider.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

...a studio cut of Chinese Democracy was but an elusive dream? To compensate the forums were littered with more or less mythical stories of people who had heard it but somehow was never able to get a recording of it.

Here are some of the cheese picks I remember:

-The kid who walked by Universal HQ and apparently heard CD songs being played through a window. Recorded a few seconds of The Blues on his legendary crappy cell phone, a clip which of course was scrutinized for months on HTGTH back in 05.

I most definitely remember this one.

I remember that one too!:laugh:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also remember that record exec one.

My favorites had to be 1) all the years people thought Mysteron was an insider with close ties to the band. Like what the fuck ever man, just reading that dude's posts I knew he was not so much full of shit, as much as not as knowing as so so SO MANY legions of Hell minions followed him thinking he would lead them to truth.

2) Use Your Disllusion theory. There was a time during 2004-05 some guy tried to get a rumor going that the GN'R breakup was an elaborate hoax and that in fact the UYI-1991 Guns N' Roses had secretly been working on a new album and that new GN'R and Velvet Revolver were just cover bands to hide what they were really doing. The dude said the lead single was gonna be called "[insert name]" (don't remember), and that it was gonna be a quadruple album called "Use Your Disillusion I, II, III & IV".

Despite it being carried on a couple main rock sites, and bloggers, the dude shot himself in the foot by saying that Scott Weiland, Dave Kushner, Robin Finck & Buckethead would all also be on the album contributing songs, and from that point it was beyond ridiculous.

It was such a fantastical bullshit piece, and the fact it got carried as news and people talked about it was just a laugh a minute to me.

3) Fire, Ice, Water triple album. Some "in the know" insider who couldn't reveal his sources said that Axl had in fact changed the Chinese Democracy, and the albums would be a triple album roll out with the earth element names "Fire", "Water", and "Ice" to reflect the songs, and the album titles were to reflect the tone of each albums songs, and that like Madagascar wouldn't show up until like album three, "Ice". The dude even went so far to post full tracklists. Bullshit from the first seconds, but some bought it.

4) Better and the PA in the hallway was an all-timer, I agree. I remember that one. I also remember the dude that walked by Universal and they were blaring The Blues and later Madagascar.

And of course who can forget the numerous debates and theories people had to claim up and down that Buckethead was just Slash in costume and there was gonna be a big reveal. But because people were unaware of Brian Carroll (because only Bucket's name is widely out there), many people fell for it.

Another top-10 classic was the "single" that Axl told Madison that would be the first single on Chinese. He personally told her, but of course she can't quote him because she's not a member of the press. AND she's gonna keep the title private because that way Frauline can tell the liars from the "real deal".

And in all that time.... she never once revealed that title. Wonder why...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I also remember that record exec one.

My favorites had to be 1) all the years people thought Mysteron was an insider with close ties to the band. Like what the fuck ever man, just reading that dude's posts I knew he was not so much full of shit, as much as not as knowing as so so SO MANY legions of Hell minions followed him thinking he would lead them to truth.

I always laughed at this shit too. The guy never posted anything of substance. He was more vague than Gn'R themseves yet people bought into his character. Hilarious.

Axlin12 wrote:

2) Use Your Disllusion theory. There was a time during 2004-05 some guy tried to get a rumor going that the GN'R breakup was an elaborate hoax and that in fact the UYI-1991 Guns N' Roses had secretly been working on a new album and that new GN'R and Velvet Revolver were just cover bands to hide what they were really doing. The dude said the lead single was gonna be called "[insert name]" (don't remember), and that it was gonna be a quadruple album called "Use Your Disillusion I, II, III & IV".

Despite it being carried on a couple main rock sites, and bloggers, the dude shot himself in the foot by saying that Scott Weiland, Dave Kushner, Robin Finck & Buckethead would all also be on the album contributing songs, and from that point it was beyond ridiculous.

It was such a fantastical bullshit piece, and the fact it got carried as news and people talked about it was just a laugh a minute to me.

I have zero recollection of this one. Would've been fucking awesome if true minus the Weiland, Kushner, BH, Robin part.

Axlin12 wrote:

3) Fire, Ice, Water triple album. Some "in the know" insider who couldn't reveal his sources said that Axl had in fact changed the Chinese Democracy, and the albums would be a triple album roll out with the earth element names "Fire", "Water", and "Ice" to reflect the songs, and the album titles were to reflect the tone of each albums songs, and that like Madagascar wouldn't show up until like album three, "Ice". The dude even went so far to post full tracklists. Bullshit from the first seconds, but some bought it.

Again no recollection of this either. I was pretty much MIA on the forums in 2005.  Had been given the boot at mygnr and posted rarely on htgth between Feb 2005 - Summer 2006. Man I always thought htgth was a shit hole.

Axlin12 wrote:

And of course who can forget the numerous debates and theories people had to claim up and down that Buckethead was just Slash in costume and there was gonna be a big reveal. But because people were unaware of Brian Carroll (because only Bucket's name is widely out there), many people fell for it.

Totally remember this. People are fucking idiots far too often 16

Axlin12 wrote:

Another top-10 classic was the "single" that Axl told Madison that would be the first single on Chinese. He personally told her, but of course she can't quote him because she's not a member of the press. AND she's gonna keep the title private because that way Frauline can tell the liars from the "real deal".

And in all that time.... she never once revealed that title. Wonder why...

This is one of the best one's. I loved how she got called out on this shit so badly and played it off as though she as doing the noble thing by not saying anything. I wonder what ever happend to her. MYGNR was like her life.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Who the fuck IS Mysteron? LOL

Doesn't he work for Sanctuary?

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

...a studio cut of Chinese Democracy was but an elusive dream? To compensate the forums were littered with more or less mythical stories of people who had heard it but somehow was never able to get a recording of it.

Here are some of the cheese picks I remember:

-The fat kid who met Axl in the street. Our beloved red head then allegedly gave the kid a ride in his car while blasting CD all the way through.

-The carpenter who did a job in an apartment. In the CD player there just happened to be studio recordings of new GN'R music. Never got to make a copy obviously.

-The kid who walked by Universal HQ and apparently heard CD songs being played through a window. Recorded a few seconds of The Blues on his legendary crappy cell phone, a clip which of course was scrutinized for months on HTGTH back in 05.

-The last one dates back to the stone age. I think it was around 2001. Some mods over at Hell had everyone fooled that there was a forgotten B side made by the old band that was more epic than NR and Estranged put together. Entire lyrics were invented before the joke got blown. The song was called "Labyrinth".

I personally liked the one with the professional wrestler best...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Who the fuck IS Mysteron? LOL

Doesn't he work for Sanctuary?

Mysteron wasn't just a kid who made shit up.

He was something else than that.

Saying so reminds me of teenagers on youtube claiming everything they see as "fake and gay".

He didn't get it straight all the time, but to call him a joke is beyond stupid.

I kind of liked th Axl cover of Ebony and Ivory the best.

And that "Keep on rising" demo which had people fooled for at least a few hours.

And all those track listings...

First song: Welcome to the nightmare.

And reports from Las Vegas in 2002 that Buckethead wore a bucket with bloodstains on it. It was a cool thought.

Board footer