You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: AXL ROSE Falls On Stage At France's HELLFEST

I didn't say current Guns is the only band that is doing 3 hour shows. I know Springsteen and other acts are doing it too.  I saw the Foo Fighters back in mid November and their set included about 3 hours of songs while the acts the Joy Formidable played for 20 minutes and the legendary Social Distortion played for about 45 minutes. The only breaks were for set up and the Foos were teasing the crowd over a video monitor to see if we wanted a big encore.  That was one hell of a show!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Who are these bands that are continueally talked about that barely play for an hour and a half?  Bands with one or two albums? Certainly not bands within the Guns N' Roses demographic.

Def Leppard and Van Halen are 2 bands that play for about an hour and a half.  Obviously GNR aren't the only band that plays 3 hour shows, but I'd bet the average length of a concert is closer to 90 minutes than it is to 3 hours for the MAIN act.  Hell l've seen Def Leppard play with 2 KNOWN openers and the show is finished in less than 3 hours.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Bono wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

Pretty much. The thing is at least Axl puts on three hour shows and makes up for the time that he is late. They are playing the songs I want to hear live and ones that I'm familiar with.  Most bands involving acts as his demographic only put on an hour, less than 2 hour set. There are only some bands that do 2 1/2 to 3 hour sets with a 45 minute opening act with stage set up breaks in between. At least the band members in the current Guns have their shit together and are trying to please the fans every night.

I don't get this. This fantasy that Axl and Guns are the only major act giving it their all and performing these long sets is jsut that. Fantasy. U2 consitently play 2.5-3 hour shows, Bruce Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Linkin Park, RHCP, NIN, The Cure etc etc all do. Who are these bands that are continueally talked about that barely play for an hour and a half?  Bands with one or two albums? Certainly not bands within the Guns N' Roses demographic.  Plus these bands don't need to supplement their shows with 4-6 solo numbers to reach the 2.5-3 hour mark. Not to mention all these bands finsih their shows at roughly the time Axl and company take the stage. AND these other bands are also playing the songs their fans want to hear AND switching up the setlist consistently. U2 for example played no less than 22 songs on any one night on the 360 tour and had 53 different songs show up in the setlist over the course of the tour. I would imagine that stat is more impressive with Pearl Jam. You can't say the fans aren't eaving thsoe shows thinking "Gee I'm not sure those guys gave it there all. Wonder what Axl's up to? I hear he really gives it his all for his fans"

To suggest Gn'R in 2012 is doing what other bands simply don't do just isn't true. And late starts are not a legit justification.

Ali wrote:

I get that's your opinion, and one I obviously do not share.  But, in looking at pages and pages of comments on the GN'R Ticketmaster page, such a blanket generalization is far from the truth.

Ali

Only crazed fans take the time to comment on the ticketmaster page. Be it negative or positive. Anyone who takes time out of their day to comment on ticketmaster pretty much has an agenda one way or the other. To spread the gospel or spread the hate regardless of whether they've seen the band live or not.

No one said GN'R is the only band playing 3 hour shows. And of course, I would expect fans of other bands to leave their shows talking about the band they just saw and not Guns N' Roses.

I also think that plenty of 'middle of the road' people leave comments on the Ticketmaster site. There's tons of opinion bases sites out there that regular people leave reviews on everyday and Ticketmaster is one of them.

Yes, which is exactly why I mentioned Ticketmaster.  That and the fact that it seems to generally include comments from people who attended shows in person.

Ali

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

it's funny how people have gotten themselves to believe  that Axl can still sing when it's obvious to everyone that his voice is pretty much shot

Have you seen the band live lately?

I'll admit some of the clips on youtube aren't the greatest, but I heard nothing but glowing reviews from the 9 skeptical friends that I brought to the show I went to in November.  I previously passed along the suspect videos from Rock In Rio, a reason they were skeptical, and rightfully so.  But they were all more than impressed.

I know it sounds like a tired old argument.  "Don't complain about the show unless you were at the show" or "You can't judge a show fairly off of youtube clips".  But honestly, I haven't heard many people complain about how Axl sounds who were actually at the shows to witness it live.  Critical reviews included.  I'm not saying NOBODY, there's always going to be some.  But for the most part, the firsthand reviews have been quite good for the past few years.  So this, "he's washed up and past his prime for performing live" talk is a little overblown.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

No one said GN'R is the only band playing 3 hour shows. And of course, I would expect fans of other bands to leave their shows talking about the band they just saw and not Guns N' Roses.

No nobody did say Gn'R are the ONLY band doing it but it's a common misrepresentation by people on this board to suggest that Gn'R are one of a very select few who do play longer sets when that simply isn't the case. Most major headline acts from Gn'R's era or before play sets similar to Gn'R's. Even some new bands do. Playing 2.5-3 hour sets is NOT rare the way many on this board would like to pretend. Also the fact Gn'R are given gold medals for playing these longer sets doesn't make sense to me. People act as though it's such an amazing achievment for Axl at 50 to do such a thing. I don't find it all that impressive to be honest. Great shows but Axl is not the King of endurance.

russtcb wrote:

I also think that plenty of 'middle of the road' people leave comments on the Ticketmaster site. There's tons of opinion bases sites out there that regular people leave reviews on everyday and Ticketmaster is one of them.

Anyone can leave comments on ticketmaster. I take the opinions of those posting on a ticketmaster site just slightly more serious than I take the comments on youtube.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I continue to say that Axl puts on an above average performance. Never said anything specific to singing, never said anything specific to average length of show.

And of course you're obviously welcome to put whatever stock you like into Ticketmaster.

That's fine. Though singing ability and length of show plays into the performance. Singing is objective(even though I don't fully buy Ali's opinion that Axl sounds great all the time regardles of his tone be it raspy or clean) but length of show is a number and I find it funny that Gn'R fans bring that up as a badge of honor. I've never seen fans of other bands brag about the length of the show the way Guns fans do. It's almost like an insecurity and they're compensating for somehting."At least they play for 2.5-3 hours" You know what I mean? It's not that special. They have the catelogue to do it and so they should and do. It's not anything to be proud about in my opinion. If anything it'd be a disgrace if they didn't.

I would say Axl gets is fortunate to coast on his presence. I can't deny he has presence even in 2012 but his performances in my opinion are not above average especially when compared to people from or near his era. His band is amazing as hell though. I have to be honest Axl to me is the weak link in Gn'R in 2012 and has been for quite some time.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I get what you're saying overall. I get it though I disagree with it.

You can disgaree with the performance debate for sure. It's subjective.

The length of the show point I made and how some Gn'R fans use it as a badge of honor is just the truth and you read it on Guns sites all the time including this one. like I said I've never seen fans of other bands cling to that so tightly. They may mention it here and there but not with such pride Guns fans do. I have no idea why Guns fans think it's so incredible Gn'R perform for 2.5-3 hours. I can't help but think fans of other bands though appreciative understand the band is there to deliver and expect it, while Guns fans I guess are just happy the guy even got on stage, thus making a 3 hour show a  bonus 16

Board footer